Buy that new guitar or the AX8?

Axeman75

Background: My waitlist confirmation is 10/13 at 5:34 PM EST. I can get a good price on a new PRS that won't last long...or I can wait for my AX8 invite.

I could do both in one month but that would be a little rough on the bank account. What say you forum and Fractal experts?

All signs indicate that Fractal is focusing exclusively on overseas shipments for Q1 of the year, so I'd say go for it.

Damn the bank account... get the PRS now and the AX8 when the invite comes. :)

Seriously, a bird in the hand, you know? Get the guitar if you want it then sort out the "should I?" when/if the invite comes before you're ready.

I think it depends on what guitar you're playing now. If you've got a great one that you love...wait and avoid the unnecessary financial pressure. If you've got a poor quality guitar or one you're not happy with, then start there. No point in having top quality effects if that major component isn't just right.

I think it depends on what guitar you're playing now. If you've got a great one that you love...wait and avoid the unnecessary financial pressure. If you've got a poor quality guitar or one you're not happy with, then start there. No point in having top quality effects if that major component isn't just right.

Well stated. I enjoy collecting and playing but happy with what I have. If my invite came today, the AX8 would be on order and the PRS probably not.

I'd get the PRS. It seems like a drastic slowdown in US shipments, and as previously said here, M@ has posted that the focus Q1'16 is overseas. I'd go with the guitar... best guess is that US is still at ~5:14pm on the waitlist... quite a bit away from 5:34.

Background: My waitlist confirmation is 10/13 at 5:34 PM EST. I can get a good price on a new PRS that won't last long...or I can wait for my AX8 invite.

I could do both in one month but that would be a little rough on the bank account. What say you forum and Fractal experts?

What are the specifics on the PRS? Used, new, solid, hollow, 22, 24 frets? I love PRS, have two of them. My custom 24 is a much higher quality guitar over my S2 semi hollow 22.. Though the S2 is quite nice, for a US built budget PRS.

Anyway, +1 to buy both if you can! :)

What are the specifics on the PRS? Used, new, solid, hollow, 22, 24 frets? I love PRS, have two of them. My custom 24 is a much higher quality guitar over my S2 semi hollow 22.. Though the S2 is quite nice, for a US built budget PRS.

Anyway, +1 to buy both if you can! :)

It's a 2015 P24 with the piezo bridge. Beautiful guitar - but I've never played a PRS. The seller is not an authorized dealer so a factory warranty is not included. I don't know how big of a deal this is.

My main guitar is a Carvin CT and while many turn their nose up at a Carvin, it is simply the best guitar I've ever played. It would take a hell of a guitar to match that.

Get the Ax8.

After getting my Axe Fx I don't need more guitars than the 10 to 14 I have lying around already. :D

Last edited:
It's a 2015 P24 with the piezo bridge... My main guitar is a Carvin CT and while many turn their nose up at a Carvin, it is simply the best guitar I've ever played.

You are in for a treat. Personally I would look at needs and opportunity to balance those two. My instinct says to go for the PRS mainly because if someone is selling it for a great price and the guitar looks like it's a fit for you, then go for that. In about six-nine months you are going to see a few AX8's around for sale and FAS' inventory should be replenished. If you need an AX8 now, then that might be the better option.

I have all PRS' right now with a Swamp Ash Special, Studio and Hollowbody II (all 2012 models). Honestly, they're the greatest guitars I have ever played. They stay in tune, they have tone for dayz and they rarely require additional work for feeling great on the fretboard.

Personally if you've never played one before, go to a Guitar Center and play one of the higher end ones. There is nothing more frustrating than investing into a P24 ($3,300-3,700 MSRP) and you don't enjoy nearly as much as you thought. Carvin made some great guitars back in the day, but the playability and tone hardly hold a candle to the PRS American made axe's... Go for the PRS dude, but go try one FIRST.

You are in for a treat. Personally I would look at needs and opportunity to balance those two. My instinct says to go for the PRS mainly because if someone is selling it for a great price and the guitar looks like it's a fit for you, then go for that. In about six-nine months you are going to see a few AX8's around for sale and FAS' inventory should be replenished. If you need an AX8 now, then that might be the better option.

I have all PRS' right now with a Swamp Ash Special, Studio and Hollowbody II (all 2012 models). Honestly, they're the greatest guitars I have ever played. They stay in tune, they have tone for dayz and they rarely require additional work for feeling great on the fretboard.

Personally if you've never played one before, go to a Guitar Center and play one of the higher end ones. There is nothing more frustrating than investing into a P24 ($3,300-3,700 MSRP) and you don't enjoy nearly as much as you thought. Carvin made some great guitars back in the day, but the playability and tone hardly hold a candle to the PRS American made axe's... Go for the PRS dude, but go try one FIRST.

Mine is a newer Carvin - built 2011. I must be the anomaly when it comes to Carvin pickups because I love mine. I think X-Mann will concur.

The closest GC is 50 miles away and they don't ever seem to have the core models in stock. I'm flying blind on this one if I decide to buy.

Have you actually got to personally try out the PRS? I'd usually try to get my hands on an expensive guitar first to see if I liked the neck profile/pickups etc.

Having said that, I usually buy the damn thing even if I'm a little iffy on something about it ...... the joys of living in remote locations where quality used gear rarely comes to light!

I've bought 2 guitars this week and don't care about the ax8 so don't ask me ;) no I'd get the deal, ax8 will be there, and be a while.

The closest GC is 50 miles away and they don't ever seem to have the core models in stock. I'm flying blind on this one if I decide to buy.

Here's another angle, PRS' hold their value also so worst case scenario you turn around and resell it. I am betting that with a 2011 Carvin though, you will appreciate the upgrade more than the new AX8. If you have a rig that suits your needs now but you've been wanting that PRS for a while, go for the PRS. From some of the videos I watched, it has similar tones to the PRS Studio lines but includes the Piezo which can be fun.

Ultimately it's up to you mate, but if I was in your spot, I'd get the axe over the AX8 if it adds the most value to your current guitar rig.

Back
Top Bottom