Buy that new guitar or the AX8?

The PRS arrived today and sadly, I'm a bit disappointed. It's a beautiful guitar but it simply does not feel or play as well as my Carvin CT. I will give it a few days to see if things change but this might be one of those guitars I have to flip.
Did you set it up to your liking? I've hated guitars before and with a small turn of the truss rod and a few turns on the saddle and all is well.

Anyway I'll start the bidding $100.00. Just kidding good luck man. Pretty looking guitar. I hope you can get it figured out.

Sorry to hear that the guitar isn't cutting it for you so far. I have sold a few guitars that as much as I wanted them to work for me they didn't. I think you can tell from the get go whether it is a setup preference versus a connection with the guitar. I have played some expensive stuff that I was supposed to fall all over and I didn't...

I will go $120.00 to outbid @WorshipGuy :)

Haha...do I hear $140??

I'm going to give it some time. I just pulled it from the shipping box a couple of hours ago and it was pretty cold after having traveled across the continent. Now that the neck is warming up it's starting to feel a little better.

It definitely needs a setup. The action is a little too high and the strings need to be replaced with 9-42. Hoping to have a different opinion in a couple of days.

The PRS should be able to be set up as good as, or better, than your Carvin. Check out the PRS website and it'll give specific details on where the bridge height should be, action at 12th fret, etc. A luthier should be able to achieve those specs pretty easily. If you do, it'll play like butter

The PRS should be able to be set up as good as, or better, than your Carvin. Check out the PRS website and it'll give specific details on where the bridge height should be, action at 12th fret, etc. A luthier should be able to achieve those specs pretty easily. If you do, it'll play like butter

I have the proper setup tools and will be working on it this weekend. Because it came with 10-46s, I'd like to know if I can change to 9-42 strings without having to cut a new nut. Any experience there?

You only have to cut a new nut if you're going heavier. That truss will need attention, though. String it, set the rod how you like it, play it a couple days and then do the final truss tweak. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

You only have to cut a new nut if you're going heavier. That truss will need attention, though. String it, set the rod how you like it, play it a couple days and then do the final truss tweak. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Agreed...and the intonation as well. Going to work on it tonight and will report back the improvements.

PRS pickups are quite different that anything else I'm used to. At first I wasn't sure about them but later on the new tone was growing on me. Funny how the ears play tricks on you. Looking forward to playing this guitar through my new AX8 that I don't have yet.

At first I wasn't sure about them but later on the new tone was growing on me. Funny how the ears play tricks on you. Looking forward to playing this guitar through my new AX8 that I don't have yet.

For sure man, I had a similar experience with my PRS Hollowbody II. This was before the AFX II so just through my Vox and Mesa F-50. I wasn't super impressed with the tones... But, you really have to approach it like a guitar you've never tried before. What I mean is you get a general sense of how a Fender, Gibson, Jackson, Ibanez will play if you've been around axe's long enough. PRS stands out more by how they last, what tones you can discover and how easy it is to play/setup.

You got a steal on that guitar man, let it sink in a little bit. That's a gorgeous axe, I'd love to try one out someday.

I really want to like it but I'm having difficulty bonding with this guitar. It may need to find a more suitable home.

Well, sometimes a guitar just doesn't ring with different persons.

My most recently acquired guitar is a PRS, and I cannot put it down. All my other guitars are withering away in the stands. But this guitar has had so many owners that I cannot believe it. Apparently, it did not ring with anybody else. I guarantee that it will never be sold again.

It's a 2015 P24 with the piezo bridge. Beautiful guitar - but I've never played a PRS. The seller is not an authorized dealer so a factory warranty is not included. I don't know how big of a deal this is.

My main guitar is a Carvin CT and while many turn their nose up at a Carvin, it is simply the best guitar I've ever played. It would take a hell of a guitar to match that.
I just ordered my sixth Carvin; pretty sure those who turn their noses up at them don't have much experience with them. I've bought & sold a few PRSs in the same week because l just can't find one that feels right to me. Not saying that'll be your case- just saying the guitar you're playing is nothing to sneeze at.I'd hold out for the AX8.@

I just ordered my sixth Carvin; pretty sure those who turn their noses up at them don't have much experience with them. I've bought & sold a few PRSs in the same week because l just can't find one that feels right to me. Not saying that'll be your case- just saying the guitar you're playing is nothing to sneeze at.I'd hold out for the AX8.@
I agree. I've been playing Carvins since '82 and haven't played anything that I liked better. I once played a students PRS and it was a good guitar, but it didn't make me want one. Recently a musician friend that I don't see much told me that he'd sold his 2 PRSs to get 2 Carvin CTs. It's certainly not unusual for Carvin to win a head-to-head competition with any guitars on the market. It's all up to the preferences of the player.

I'm unsure why Carvin sometimes gets a bad reputation. I love my CT. It's my workhorse and I can say it is equal in build quality to the PRS that I'm now trying to get rid of. Now let's hope I don't have to sit on it for too long. Surely there's some interested party out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Paid 2700.

I noticed you edited this today... Kind of disappointing you would try to capitalize on this axe man... Sad really.. Anyone on this thread knows the real price of what you paid.

Which was $2475ish??, so... Good luck with the "sale"??

I noticed you edited this today... Kind of disappointing you would try to capitalize on this axe man... Sad really.. Anyone on this thread knows the real price of what you paid.

Which was $2475ish??, so... Good luck with the "sale"??

Oops, let me explain...2475+shipping, but only outside of Reverb.com. I made the deal in writing but got paranoid and told the seller I'd feel more comfortable completing the transaction within so I paid the full listing price.

So yes, it would be nice to recoup what I paid, but may have to take a loss.

You're good, just noticed that it was edited the same day you were thinking of selling it.

More importantly, you honestly don't like it?

It's beautiful and total eye candy. Having a couple of issues though, the neck profile is a little thicker than I'd like and it being a clear gloss neck, my thumb is sticking. Playing on it very quickly leads to a sore thumb. I do not have any guitars with a high gloss neck so this was a risk for me. Rather than continue to grind on it potentially adding wear marks, I wiped it down and put it back in the case.

There's someone out there that will get a good deal on an essentially new guitar.

Back
Top Bottom