BUG: Static noise in FW 1.17

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I just updated to firmware 1.17 and now getting static noise. It's especially noticeable on Factory preset 04 Deluxe Verb. I thought it was USB ground loop noise but I get it w/o USB or MIDI cable connected and it doesn't do it on all presets. The noise can be heard through speakers and headphones. I made a recording with 2 different guitars, just to make sure it wasn't the guitar I was playing when I noticed the noise. I even tried reloading the Factory Presets to make sure they didn't get corrupted during the firmware update. I have everything plugged into a Tripp-Lite TLP76MSG that's plugged into an electrical outlet that's on it's own circuit breaker and on the side of the service panel that's not connected to anything that can generate noise like Furnace, AC, Dehumidifier, Frig or Fans.

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

I can confirm this!

I was tracking last night. For the first time ever, I noticed static with my guitar. I turned down the digital input level from 50 to 20 and it didn't solve it, so I reduced the input knob on the amp block.

It stopped the static, but it took the balls out of my tone.

I thought it might be my sustainiac battery, so I changed it to be on the safe side. However, I must tell you that the battery only powers the neck pickup. That's one of the things that is different about that system from the Fernandes system. When my battery dies, I still have my bridge pickup operational without battery.

This static I am referring to, happened with my bridge pickup.

Never heard it before.......

Ah! Will check those presets. I have heard the same on a few patches- thought it was my guitar (my les paul has static issues when it's dry). Will try later today,

DId you roll your guitar volume to off? Was it still there?

I use a highly modded' version of preset 04, and I don't hear anything unusual.

I may have heard something ,faintly, whe testing that factory 04, first thought it was pick on humbucker, but no.

I am checking this now.
@rodzimguitar68 What do you mean by "the digital input level"?

Thank You! I only hear it on clean amps. It sounds similar to an active pickup battery dying or a ripped speaker. I thought I had blown one of my speakers because ever since getting my Axe-Fx III, I've had a tendency to want to rock my entire house :D I use 2 Yamaha DXR12's and 2 DXR10's but all the speakers and headphones make the noise.

I can clearly hear it in your clip but can't reproduce it here.

Should I reinstall the firmware? My Axe-Fx III still has stock settings except for the MIDI/Remote menus. I haven't even saved a preset yet. I don't want to reset the system because I don't want to re-program all the MIDI stuff again.

I am checking this now.
@rodzimguitar68 What do you mean by "the digital input level"?

Click SETUP, then I/O and its the first screen A/D Input

Basically, I thought for whatever reason, my bridge pickup was slamming the converter because I heard digital crackle. I was using a preset with 55% CPU, so I knew it wasn't CPU overload. I was using a very very slightly overdrive breakup amp setting, almost but not quite clean, and I could hear the non-musical clipping within the amp sound.

I installed beta last night, but will try shortly, and see whether I can still reproduce it. And, if so, I will post the preset.

I have 6 guitars here with different pickups, to rule out the guitar itself.

If I simply shunt input 1 to output 1 and get this clipping with any pickup configuration whatsoever, does that mean I need to turn down the A/D input setting until even hard strumming does not produce this phenomenon?

I can shunt in1 to out1 with nothing else. Play my best rendition of Highway to Hell, and I'm getting massive digital clipping.

Do you all get the same? Is that actually normal and acceptable?

I think I've actually done that before, so that I could teach myself where I want my levels to be, for my stomp boxes in loop 4, even when I activate an amp block....and when I was doing that, I don't recall getting clipping like this at all. But maybe it is in fact "just me"?

If I simply shunt input 1 to output 1 and get this clipping with any pickup configuration whatsoever, does that mean I need to turn down the A/D input setting until even hard strumming does not produce this phenomenon?

I can shunt in1 to out1 with nothing else. Play my best rendition of Highway to Hell, and I'm getting massive digital clipping.

Do you all get the same? Is that actually normal and acceptable?

No. It could be the pickups themselves. Pickups will distort when strumming hard (and sometimes even strumming moderately depending upon the design) as the magnetic field is not uniform. Pickups are NOT linear devices and contribute considerable distortion of their own.

If you are getting "massive digital clipping" that isn't right. Always adjust the A/D Input Level so that the red LED only just lights when strumming hard.

Back
Top Bottom