Budget coaxial active cabs-new contestant

Now their TS112A's do not do this. I've used those for a while. Those sound good for their price.

Interesting, but not in a good way for me, since I've already ordered a pair of SXM112As, hoping to use them both for straight Axe-Fx/regular 6-string guitar, but also for bass and full mix purposes, using it as a small PA system..
Ok, since you threw the TS112A into the picture and they're in the same price category, how would you say the SXM112As compare to the TS112As for the following purposes: 1. Axe-Fx/regular guitar only, 2.bass (+ 7 or 8-string guitars), 3. Full mix/compact PA?

Interesting, but not in a good way for me, since I've already ordered a pair of SXM112As, hoping to use them both for straight Axe-Fx/regular 6-string guitar, but also for bass and full mix purposes, using it as a small PA system..
Ok, since you threw the TS112A into the picture and they're in the same price category, how would you say the SXM112As compare to the TS112As for the following purposes: 1. Axe-Fx/regular guitar only, 2.bass (+ 7 or 8-string guitars), 3. Full mix/compact PA?

Other than the paper buzzing sound, they were very similar. The sxms112s seemed less directional. I almost went with the ts112s instead of the atomic, but I liked the atomic a bit more. I did like the low end better on the alto.

We are using the TS112A, along with a subwoofer for our PA system now. Sounds really good for the price range.

So, just to get it straight... TS112A sounds like the SXM112As but doesnt fart out on the bass? HelloMusic notwithstanding, the TS112As are about $100 cheaper than the SXM112As. And the TS112As are FRFR (woofer + tweeter), unpowered vs the SXM which is coax & powered... Seriously considering if the TX112As are just the better deal overall. How much do they weigh?

I was considering getting one of these, and also building an EV12 Thiele cab and run the Thiele w/ a power amp, just to see how the two sounded different. With that in mind I could get the TS112A and build the Thiele, and run them both from the same power amp (maybe not simultaneously, but it depends on the power amp). I don't know the speaker/power specs of the TS112As though, so not positive about this. I'm just wondering out loud if thats the better way for me to go. It also makes owning two (TS112As) a more affordable option as well...

EDIT: Sorry, got the TS112A and the TS112 confused. The TS112A (powered) is the same price as the SXM112A, the TS112 (unpowered) is $179.

Last edited:
Hey javajunkie, have you messed with the big knob on the back? Does that do anything to affect the paper flapping noise?

So, just to get it straight... TS112A sounds like the SXM112As but doesnt fart out on the bass? HelloMusic notwithstanding, the TS112As are about $100 cheaper than the SXM112As. And the TS112As are FRFR (woofer + tweeter), unpowered vs the SXM which is coax & powered... Seriously considering if the TX112As are just the better deal overall. How much do they weigh?

I was considering getting one of these, and also building an EV12 Thiele cab and run the Thiele w/ a power amp, just to see how the two sounded different. With that in mind I could get the TS112A and build the Thiele, and run them both from the same power amp (maybe not simultaneously, but it depends on the power amp). I don't know the speaker/power specs of the TS112As though, so not positive about this. I'm just wondering out loud if thats the better way for me to go. It also makes owning two (TS112As) a more affordable option as well...

EDIT: Sorry, got the TS112A and the TS112 confused. The TS112A (powered) is the same price as the SXM112A, the TS112 (unpowered) is $179.

To be clear, it isn't farting out on the bass, there is just a vibration that is happening. It doesn't sounds like your typical farting out, as the frequency response still seems normal.

The TS112A's are more directional (frequency response seems to change when you walk around) compared to the sxm112a. weight is 35lbs.

To be clear, it isn't farting out on the bass, there is just a vibration that is happening. It doesn't sounds like your typical farting out, as the frequency response still seems normal.

The TS112A's are more directional (frequency response seems to change when you walk around) compared to the sxm112a. weight is 35lbs.

You keeping them? Or sending back?

Thinking about one of these. I run my Matrix into a traditional cab 95% of the time. Its loaded with a V30 and G12h currently, but I have a pair of EV12L clones en-route to try.

Now - for the odd occasion I for to a desk and for trying the FRFR route (which Ive never got accustomed to so far) would one of these be good for monitoring - are are they poor really. I could wait a while and go for one of the expensive ones Scott is using, but thats a lot of funds for occasional use if it doesnt convert me to FRFR fulltime.

Now - for the odd occasion I for to a desk and for trying the FRFR route (which Ive never got accustomed to so far) would one of these be good for monitoring - are are they poor really. I could wait a while and go for one of the expensive ones Scott is using, but thats a lot of funds for occasional use if it doesnt convert me to FRFR fulltime.
In about a week, the folks who ordered from Hello Music will have theirs and I suspect there will be a number of opinions available. They likely won't agree but you'll have more data. :)

In about a week, the folks who ordered from Hello Music will have theirs and I suspect there will be a number of opinions available. They likely won't agree but you'll have more data. :)

I'm interested to see if others have the same issue.

Well, I'd like to be able to get some bass frequencies going through whatever I get. Be it downtuning, or Dubstep like bass drops, so I'm a little concerned. 90% would be in the normal guitar range though. Re: the TS112s - would a Mitchell donut help alleviate the directionality? I would guess it would, but not sure if that front grill can just be unscrewed or how far away it sits from the speakers. Thanks!

I am also very interested and I'll have one of those firsthand opinions on what this box is/isn't. I do not have high hopes or expectations given the price. My hope for this box is to leave it at my Church and use it there - that's a very low db situation that I am sure it can do (most any box can do; it's 85-100db at most on stage). There is no need for me to tote the big gun RCF NX back and forth to Church every week if I don't have to. That's a weekly gig for me, so it does make some sense.

If it surpasses my expectations - and I do not think it will given Sean's impressions (whose opinion I trust implicitly) - then we'll see where it goes. I've enough experience with enough powered monitors and powered PA speakers now - JBL, QSC, EV, Yamaha, Mackie, Carvin, Peavey, XiTone, Atomic, FBT, EAW, Meyer and RCF come to mind - that given the price point, I feel going in about what this particular box can and cannot do given it's pricepoint (even at it's list price). But as always, I am willing to be wrong and won't be shy about saying so if I am.

I'm not looking or hunting for a different solution, so there is no pressure and no reason to expect anything other than to see what it can or cannot do for me.

Hopefully with the number of folks that apparently took the HelloMusic sales price up and scored one of these, we'll have enough varied opinions or consensus to get a better read on what this specific box can and cannot do. The more data points, the better IMHO.

IMHO, YMMV.

Meyer's are awesome but that is a whole other price point. I am really interested in this whole coaxial thing but I don't have to many complains with my k12. I rarely ever take it out since most places I go I am given a monitor

I can't really recommend these thing for anything that has bass. We ran a hp filter out of the monitor sends and if was fine. We have plenty of low end in our rehearsal room. so as rehearsal monitors, these will do okay. But they cannot hadle anything like dropped tuned guitars, bass, kick drums, or floor toms w/o a high pass filter.
Not really a good solution IMO.

I can't really recommend these thing for anything that has bass. We ran a hp filter out of the monitor sends and if was fine. We have plenty of low end in our rehearsal room. so as rehearsal monitors, these will do okay. But they cannot hadle anything like dropped tuned guitars, bass, kick drums, or floor toms w/o a high pass filter.
Not really a good solution IMO.

Thanks for the info/evaluation. I think you just saved me some money on shipping and returning! :)

So you thought (other than the bass flapping issue) that the SXM112As sounded a lot like the TS112As, but liked the SXM112s better than the atomic, and liked the atomics better than the TS112As????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom