Bryston 2B heat issues

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
The used Bryston 2B-LP-Pro that I just bought has no fan for convection-style cooling.
It only has some relatively large heat sinks on the front of the chassis.
I'm using it in bridged mono-mode for an output of 200 watts RMS into an 8 ohm EVM-12L loaded 1 X 12" cabinet.
The owner's manual and any published material I've seen about this amp suggests that running it this way should not be a problem.

But I've been noticing that the heat sinks get quite hot, almost too hot to touch, and I've only used the amp at home thus far - just at low practising levels.

So, I decided to fire off an email to Bryston support.
This is what the guy tells me:

"This amplifier, as you are using it, will be stressed into the load you have made for it. It is a more difficult load then a more normal load of 8 ohms, stereo. As you may be using it at it's most maximum power levels, it will also get hotter then normal. I would recommend to use it in a practice environment to see if the unit will turn off due to heat build up, use it hard, see what will happen. The subjectivity of "hot", is also something I can't check.
I believe you should be ok, but you never know what will happen in all the different venues that one might play in. Use it, see what will happen...the heat isn't a bad thing, is just an indication of working hard."

Now, on the one hand I was thankful that he replied to me.
But "stressed"?
WTF?
Based on their published specs why should this amp be "stressed" when bridged into an 8 ohm load?
The manual doesn't say "you can bridge the amp for 200 watts into an 8 ohm load, but the amp might shut down due to overheating".

I've got a gig next week that I was planning on using the 2B on, but now I'm scared it's gonna cut out on me.
What do you guys think?
Should I just go back to using my SLA1 which doesn't heat up at all when it's bridged?

joegold said:
Based on their published specs why should this amp be "stressed" when bridged into an 8 ohm load?
Driving an 8 ohm load in bridge mode produces the same level of stress as both channels driving four ohm loads. This is not a problem for a Bryston.

I've got a gig next week that I was planning on using the 2B on, but now I'm scared it's gonna cut out on me.
What do you guys think?
Having years of experience with Bryston amps in e highly demanding environment (IMAX theaters), I would not hesitate to use your amp on a gig. The heat is normal, but you do need to keep it in mind when you place the amp in a rack.

I've been usiung Bryston amps for decades in production/broadcast environments and use a 3B in my rig. In my opinion there is no better "work horse" line of amps out there. Yes they can get hot under load so make sure the heat sinks are freely ventilated but I would never hesitate to use one under the most trying conditions. I've never had a Bryston let me down which isn't something I would say about almost any other brand.

BTW:

ART,...... They make great little utilitarian amps (ie. cheap) but to recommend one over a Bryston is,....... uninformed. I assume this was a joke. :lol:

Rodney

rjones5766 said:
I've been usiung Bryston amps for decades in production/broadcast environments and use a 3B in my rig. In my opinion there is no better "work horse" line of amps out there. Yes they can get hot under load so make sure the heat sinks are freely ventilated but I would never hesitate to use one under the most trying conditions. I've never had a Bryston let me down which isn't something I would say about almost any other brand.

BTW:

ART,...... They make great little utilitarian amps (ie. cheap) but to recommend one over a Bryston is,....... uninformed. I assume this was a joke. :lol:

Rodney

No Joke... as I dust my self off having crawled out from under the bus.

I'm aware of Bryston never used one and I'm sure there great amps and I wasn't suggesting they are not to be trusted. Based on the OP he is second guessing the amp and has a gig doesn't want to have an issue so it is an informed suggestion based on his post. I guess I should have suggested that he bring the ART in the event the Bryston crapped out he would have a back up.

Jay Mitchell said:
joegold said:
Driving an 8 ohm load in bridge mode produces the same level of stress as both channels driving four ohm loads. This is not a problem for a Bryston.

What do you guys think?
Having years of experience with Bryston amps in e highly demanding environment (IMAX theaters), I would not hesitate to use your amp on a gig. The heat is normal, but you do need to keep it in mind when you place the amp in a rack.

Well I'm glad you chimed in Jay and said what you said.
If it cuts out on me on this gig I'm gonna blame you personally! :lol:

The support guy at Bryston could use a bit of your team spirit.

FWIW
I'm using a 4 space rack with the Axe on the bottom, a Furman power conditioner on top and the Bryston in between.
I'd put the 2B on the bottom normally but I'm worried that it'll overheat the Axe.

Is this the best way to rack the 2B based on my gear and on how hot it gets?

personally...if it gets as hot as you indicate, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with it anywhere in that rack...I'd be worried (perhaps needlessly) about subjecting the other components to the level of heat you describe...even though it's a pain to have another item to "schlepp", you might want to put it in it's own rack...just me...

Well if I have to put it in its own rack then it's not worth it for me to use it.
Form factor is an even bigger concern for me on the gigs that I do than tone is.

Portable fan to blow some air onto it?
At the end of the day though, until you use it and (if) it overheats you'll always wonder will it or won't it. I'd take a fan, use the Bryston and if it goes into protect, stick the fan on it to cool it till you get through the gig.

I'm just going to take the SLA1 with me as a backup just in case.
It's not a major gig or anything so it won't be the end of the world if I have to stop for a minute or two and switch amps.

Isn't the best idea to but the amp over the furman? Then it's away from the axe and heat moves up.

Jens

Maybe.
but the combined heat of the Axe and the Furman below the Bryston might be enough to shut the Bryston down too.
I'm not too worried about the Furman getting hot.
Should I be?

Joey, I seem to remember that you are sensitive to fan noise, on stage. Would forced-air cooling be out of the question for your rack?

The SLA1 has a 2-speed fan that's never been a problem.

One of the reasons I originally chose the SLA1 over a QSC PLX1104 was the quieter fan in the SLA1.

Reason I asked is because, as you probably already know, you can get rack ventilators for your rig that will evacuate the hot air. Some have thermistor speed controls, others have low-noise fans. :shock:

Well..
If I come to feel that I absolutely have to use the 2B all the time and the heat issue is causing real problems then I might look into something like that.
But I don't see it going that way.

I was perfectly happy with the SLA1 and if it suits my needs better then I have no qualms about going back to it.

The 2B's just a little bit sweeter sounding, so I'd rather use it, but only if it's practical to do so.

When playing a gig I don't even want to be in the least bit worrysome that my amp should fail.
OTOH, getting too hot to touch is not out of the ordinary for amps. Ever touch a 6L6 after an evening of playing? Transistors are different in many ways, but they still get hot. Too hot to touch means about 70 degrees Celsius to me. Well, too hot to hold at least. Like the pipes in my central heating.

Use the bryston, but prepare for a quick switch to the ART if that gives you peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom