Brrrrrrrr!!

2 Februarys ago we were in Colorado skiing when the cold snap hit Texas - the one where rolling blackouts turned into widespread power outages across the state. Nobody from Texas could get home - stuck due to flight cancellations and closed airports. Then a pipe burst in my garage wall. If not for great neighbors, it would have been a lot worse. But all this to say, the walls and even my pipes are insulated. My wall was torn out by the plumber to fix things while I was gone. So I could see what was there, but it still can’t be done to building codes north of the Mason-Dixon Line. Anyways, stay warm y’all. And Happy Christmas or happy Hanukkah to you. I love this crazy Fractal group. What a gift.
ugh what a disaster that whole debacle was in TX.

We have 2 pipes that used to freeze in a crawl space under the bathroom. They never burst but we used to have to put a space heater in the crawl space to get water moving again. Since we insulated under there it hasn't happened again but at 0 degrees all bets are off. I'm going to leave the water drip and hope for the best. I'm more worried about power going out. That could really, really suck.

Out of curiosity, when it's that cold outside, does your furnace run 24 hours a day?
Modern insulation is your friend including quality double and triple pane gas filled windows. Once the house gets to temp a good furnace will run every 20 minutes for 5 minutes. I suppose it amounts to the sq. footage of the space(s) needing heated. We don’t have a huge home.

Modern insulation is your friend including quality double and triple pane gas filled windows. Once the house gets to temp a good furnace will run every 20 minutes for 5 minutes. I suppose it amounts to the sq. footage of the space(s) needing heated. We don’t have a huge home.
I really ought to just sleep in my living room all winter. That part of the house stays pretty cozy. I feel like Im fighting Vietnam trying to keep heat in my bedroom though.

Oh that’s gonna be a bummer. Hope you have some wood stoves or good fire places.
Baseboard heating and we always seem to be cooking something. I wish. I always wanted a fireplace, too. Naturally, I'm relocating to Florida soon so I'll never get one.

I do however have a coal chute in this house. If only I could find someone to sell me a few yards of coal. How IS coal sold??? This house dates back to horse and buggy days.

I really ought to just sleep in my living room all winter. That part of the house stays pretty cozy. I feel like Im fighting Vietnam trying to keep heat in my bedroom though.
I know what you’re dealing with. We use to live in an old farm house that was nice, but not well insulated and plenty of drafty places. Most of the place was freezing. The living room (middle of the house) we would keep sealed and warm.

Some tips for avoiding frozen pipes
  • Keep cupboard doors under sinks open (remove toxic items)
  • Keep bathroom doors open for heat to get into the room
  • Let cold water drip from susceptible faucets
  • Place a lamp with a 75 watt incandescent bulb under sinks (remove flammable objects)
  • Keep garage doors closed

Five hours without power here now. Temps have dropped below freezing and it’s snowing
I take it you’re up in the land of FAS. I noticed the main website doing some goofy things lately. We have been getting drops in our internet. So I wasn’t sure if was this end or where. I hope you get your power soon. That is the worst. Stay safe!

If there were really truth in advertising, the Minnesota bureau of tourism's slogan for this state would be 'Don't come here. It's bullshit. It's stupid cold and it absolutely sucks ass in the winter.'

They always refer to Minnesotans as 'hearty people'. I just think that's code for fat and too dim to move somewhere that isn't a frozen shitball for 5 months of the year.

Back
Top Bottom