Brown amp-unreal VH tones!

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Up until yesterday my go to Van Halen sound was the 5150 model. same with any modeller i've owned previous...if it had a model called '5150' it beckoned me. I thought I'd create a few quick patches--tried a few models I don't normally look at...and tried the Brown amp. All i can say is WOW! with a ts808 in front of it and 'detuned' off of Yek's preset/effects thread; and touch of reverb... i was getting unreal close sounds that covered everything from 'someone get me a doctor', 'you're no good' ala VHII to 'Cabo wabo', 'sucker in a three piece' ala OU812. I have my new go to amp. I literally played for about 5 hours yesterday...haven't done that for quite some time; after spending far too much time over the last while reading forums:) and reading manuals..finally I am playing againg and enjoying amazing sounds thanks to Fractal!:mrgreen

Indeed. "The Brown sound" is one of my top favorite factory presets.

I've never uploaded a patch yet but will try to do it. Keep in mind my preset is dialed in with my mesa power-amp and newly acquired 4x12 roadking cab. Guitar is an EBMM axis loaded with Seymour Duncan blackouts. I should really figure out how to upload a video recorded via daw perhaps to show you what I'm hearing...tonal heaven.

If you upload the patch, I can finally say that I got a "Chewie" tone, whatever the heck that means. :)

I was actually very fond of the VH tones I got with the Plexi 2 (Plexi 2 is probably my most used sim)

I had posted this in recordings a while back, but this was using one of the Dweezil Eruption patches where I switched out the Brown for the Plexi and changed the cabs from stock to redwirez.

netmusicians.org - the guitar gear mp3 database

I also just used a guitar tuned to e flat and not the pitch block

I love the Brown for early Van Halen. I plan to record Eruption this weekend with the Brown, and also the raw guitar to reamp when the new modded Marshal is soon released for comparison. From now on, everything I record will be reamp-able. I'm always sorry when I don't do it this way. I have a hard time believing the new model could be significantly better, but I'm eager to try it.

Thanks for the comments.

I was thrilled when I saw the Dweezil Eruption patch. I assure you I was not able to tweak that tone in myself. The hard part was 100% from the Dweezil Eruption patch off the axe exchange.

Check out he wrecker 1, I get great VH tones with it and cleans up real nice when you use your guitar volume

Back
Top Bottom