Brittle sound - any advice?

Hi

Just something to thing about:
Are your cables (especially the speaker cables from the poweramp to the cab) ok and have enough cross section/width? Speaker cables that are not "thick" enough, can also distort/mess up the signal.
This would also fit your description. Good until a certain volume (so the cables "manage to deliver the signal"), but then above a certain level the issue appears (the cable is "overloaded")

Hope you understand what I mean... ;)

Are your cables (especially the speaker cables from the poweramp to the cab) ok and have enough cross section/width? Speaker cables that are not "thick" enough, can also distort/mess up the signal.
Speaker cables that are as narrow as 18 guage will do the job fine. Cable diameter is a non-issue for line- or instrument-level signals.

This would also fit your description. Good until a certain volume (so the cables "manage to deliver the signal"), but then above a certain level the issue appears (the cable is "overloaded")
If the speaker cables really are too thin, that will have the same effect at any signal level.

That Art power amp might be part of the problem. They don't have enough clean headroom to be played at high volume levels IMHO. Try a better higher wattage power amp like a Matrix or Carvin.

That Art power amp might be part of the problem. They don't have enough clean headroom to be played at high volume levels IMHO. Try a better higher wattage power amp like a Matrix or Carvin.

+1

Those are meant for studio applications. I highly doubt they have enough headroom for a live application.

+1

Those are meant for studio applications. I highly doubt they have enough headroom for a live application.

It's 580 watts in bridged mode... I'm not playing at super high volume. Relative volume is the same as playing through my 18w Budda SupeDrive with both level controls (labelled as Master and Rhythm) at about 11 o'clock.

How can I tell if its related to headroom? I would think the low frequencies would sound bad before the high?

Back
Top Bottom