Brief gig experience, mini review

MikeyB59

Power User
So, this isn't a full blown review, but a little story of a gig I did a couple of days ago. I was playing in a very small room with PA for vocals only. The gig was a combo pack gig partly celebrating the birthdays of the leader of the band I'm in and the leader of another band whose members have all been in various groups with us at different times. The music was blues, rock, r & b into jammy stuff. So the set up was 2 guitar rigs, me with my Axe II into 1 RCF 310A and the other guitarist in our band using an original 58 Fender Tweed Deluxe (plus pedals) that is one of the best amps I've ever heard with a Les Paul with P90s and later my Ibanez semihollow 2630 when he broke a string (killer guitar). Later, one guy in the other band used a Blues Jr that he'd tweaked out which was turned all the way up and sounded great.

In the first set with the Tweed Deluxe across the stage from me, I was happy as could be with my sound. I was using the Wrecker (Trainwreck) amp with an LSL telecaster and I used them all night long. I had various effects triggered by MFC (Drive, Comp, 2 delays, tremelo, phaser, verb). That was it. Sounded every bit as good as the Tweed Deluxe. The leader of the other band came up after the set and said, "I had no idea you were using a digital rig. I thought you had your Tweed Deluxe or something like that up there until I saw it." This is a guy who has obsessed over amps for years and owned many great amps. Later, the other guitarist in the 2nd band, a guy who is usually a guitar to overdrive pedal (rarely used) to Fender amp guy with a telecaster played my rig. I was shocked that he agreed to use it. So then I got to hear a whole set of someone else using the same setup. I don't think he even used any of the pedals on the MFC. He sounded killer. I could then hear from the audience perspective the quality of the sound. I would never have guessed digital. I would've guessed that it was some awesome sounding tweed amp. The Wrecker amp is fantastic for dialing up your sound off your guitar volume and tone knobs. He later said after his set with the Axe II, "Yeah, it sounds great and it feels like a tube amp, too."

It was the first time that I'd heard someone else play my Axe II rig at a gig and it totally reinforced what I'd been thinking/feeling. The leader of the other band, who'd been a digital doubter and thought my Ultra sounded good, but wasn't really totally convinced by my basic clean sounds said "they finally got it right with modelling (with the II)." It was great to see the light go on in some die hard tube people and to get to hear someone else play my rig and sound like a great version of himself.

I just love my Axe II and it's amazing that it does the basic amplification job of a totally killer amp PLUS has all those amazing effects available for gigs where they're more appropriate. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
The Wrecker sim is even better in Ver. 2.00 firmware IMO and according to reports.

I'm having trouble getting the Wrecker in the II to sound as good (for my use) as the Ultra. The low end is different for sure and most notably the II is missing something in the high mids. I can use eq and get the proper frequencies boosted, but then the sound is too buzzy and noisy. The version in the ultra has a great attack in the mids, almost like an old Marshall..........the version in the II is slower if that's the right way to describe it...........maybe not as present as the version in the Ultra.

This of course isn't to say that the version in the II doesn't sound good..........I just haven't gotten it to the point that I've become used to in my Ultra (which I've been fine tuning for a few years). Maybe the models are just too different and I'm being unrealistic in thinking I will ever get the Wrecker in the II to sound like the version I have in the Ultra, but I'm gonna keep trying for now.

p

For no good reason at all, I didn't use the Wrecker in my Ultra. Just didn't get to it, so I can't remember it to compare in my head. A guy I know locally who had an Ultra and now has a II told me I had to try it and he was right. I may be using it with lower gain settings than most. It seems like it could sound great at very juicy hard rock gain levels, but I'm running it a bit lower than that, more bluesy/rootsy gain levels.

I look forward to the improved sound with V2.0 software shortly and hope you can get back the mojo you're missing from the current version.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
I'm having trouble getting the Wrecker in the II to sound as good (for my use) as the Ultra. (...) The version in the ultra has a great attack in the mids, almost like an old Marshall..........the version in the II is slower if that's the right way to describe it...........maybe not as present as the version in the Ultra.

This of course isn't to say that the version in the II doesn't sound good..........I just haven't gotten it to the point that I've become used to in my Ultra (which I've been fine tuning for a few years). Maybe the models are just too different and I'm being unrealistic in thinking I will ever get the Wrecker in the II to sound like the version I have in the Ultra, but I'm gonna keep trying for now.

p

the Trainwreck model has always been one of my favorites, I also used it intensively for years and tuned it to what I wanted to get from it and I really liked it on my Ultra and used it for my "main sound". When I got my Axe II I started with this model because this tone is essential for my band, if I could only use one single amp model it would be the Wreck.

I started from scratch, used different settings, a different cab and while I really, really liked it on the Ultra I loved it even more on the Axe II. Imho it offered even more dynamics compared to the Gen1 version and it also sounded some kind of "bigger" to me.

Now with the 2.0 firmware I think I might have an idea where you are coming from and I think that you will find your love for this model back again. It's difficult to describe but I would start with "more transparency" or more "string to string definition". And that's without using the new parameters in the advanced menu.

Give it a try, I fell in love with it.

Best,

Jochen

Hi Peter,

the Trainwreck model has always been one of my favorites, I also used it intensively for years and tuned it to what I wanted to get from it and I really liked it on my Ultra and used it for my "main sound". When I got my Axe II I started with this model because this tone is essential for my band, if I could only use one single amp model it would be the Wreck.

I started from scratch, used different settings, a different cab and while I really, really liked it on the Ultra I loved it even more on the Axe II. Imho it offered even more dynamics compared to the Gen1 version and it also sounded some kind of "bigger" to me.

Now with the 2.0 firmware I think I might have an idea where you are coming from and I think that you will find your love for this model back again. It's difficult to describe but I would start with "more transparency" or more "string to string definition". And that's without using the new parameters in the advanced menu.

Give it a try, I fell in love with it.

Best,

Jochen

Cool, I'll give it a try this week. The Wrecker is essential for me, I honestly will keep using the Ultra if I can't get the version in the II to sound the same. The version in the II sounds great for what it is, it's just very different from the Ultra version. I rely on the way it sounds in the Ultra. I've come close, so hopefully this update will let me get the rest of the way there........or even better!

p

The Wrecker in firmware 2.0 is the best sounding Trainwreck like tone I've ever heard since I actually played through 3 ACTUAL Trainwrecks at the last PRS Forum Event with the PRS Forum/PRS back in 2001. Freaking OUTSTANDING!

And I use that model all the time... now moreso than before. :D

The Wrecker in firmware 2.0 is the best sounding Trainwreck like tone I've ever heard since I actually played through 3 ACTUAL Trainwrecks at the last PRS Forum Event with the PRS Forum/PRS back in 2001. Freaking OUTSTANDING!

And I use that model all the time... now moreso than before. :D

I think the version in the II sounds great, and maybe just like a real Trainwreck (don't know, haven't played one in person).............but in the end what I really care about is getting the sound that I have in the Ultra. The version in the Ultra may or may not sound like a real Trainwreck, but it's the sound I rely on with my band. I don't need it to sound more authentic or dynamic or whatever other fabulous things the new version has going for it....................I just need it to sound like the Ultra version. Hopefully with the new exposed parameters I'll be able to dial in a bit closer and find the sound from the Ultra.

I'm not knocking the new Wrecker in the II, it sounds great in its own right, but I just need the Ultra version for my purposes. I think I'll be able to get there, and if not I always have my Ultra!

Hi Peter,

o.k. understood. I like my tone with the II's Wreck-model better than with the Ultra and you want to get exactly the same tone as you had it with your Ultra. I can't say if this could be achieved because I never looked back, I only found out at my first contact with the II that the same settings will not get you to the same tone. You could only try to come close with both units arranged side by side and tweak. But I doubt that it'l be exactly the same because the Axe II sound ex factory more in the room, more 3-d and all this.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get so close that you are a happy camper again.

Best,

Jochen

I didn't use the Wrecker on the Ultra much, but I'm in awe of the Wrecker on the II. Sounds great!

The Wrecker model was totally redone for the II. One possibility is for me to port the old Wrecker model over as a FAS custom model.

Could you? That would be a dream come true!!!!!! I would pay for that effort, seriously. If this is a real possibility let me know Cliff. As I said I would gladly pay for the time it takes and I would obviously be happy to help with any testing if necessary.

Thanks!

p

The Wrecker ism in my opinion, the most awesome amp of the collection on the II. It's what I revert to if anything doesn't cut it live. And the 2.0 version rocks the house. Thanks Cliff! I'm not sure why it's better, but somehow, it is!

Back
Top Bottom