Breaking up with Apple....

iaresee

Administrator
Oh man. Apple's got to do something seriously impressive tomorrow because this Surface Pro video has me salivating over what it'd be like to be able to use that display as a DAW interface.

10 years with Apple, maybe we're about to break up? I've been holding out all year hoping they'd refresh the iMac or MacMini lineup or bring back a modular MacPro that isn't $8k for "nicely appointed". I'm not a laptop user at home. I don't want to pay for the form factor. I want a big old powerful thing that sits on my desk and lasts another 8 years like the iMac I'm typing this on did...

C'mon Apple...whatcha gonna do to earn my love and money?

Yep i'm impressed too!
I am not sure if i want a touchscreen this big, nevertheless i use trackpad more than a mouse.
And i love to use Logic with UAD Hardware, i don't want to change that at the moment.

Yep i'm impressed too!
I am not sure if i want a touchscreen this big, nevertheless i use trackpad more than a mouse.

I do! I was clambering for something like this two years ago when Apple released the big iPad Pro. I was hoping it was going to be an iMac/iPad fusion. Sadly, no.

We already know we're getting a MacBook Pro with an OLED scribble strip and TouchID instead of a function key row but that looks positively underwhelming compared to what Microsoft announced today.

And i love to use Logic with UAD Hardware, i don't want to change that at the moment.
I got off Apple-exclusive (Apogee) hardware a few years ago. I guess my loyalty was already starting to wane. I'd have to find a replacement for Logic. Probably I'd go all in on Reason 9. Or maybe Abelton.

But that's it. I'd miss LaunchBar and TweetBot but I'd get past it.

Edit: I bet Abelton does something hella cool with this.

the closest thing for use with logic is the Slate Raven, but it's crazy expensive. this Surface looks like a really nice piece of kit. i've been an apple user for years as well and have also been disappointed with their commitment to pro users over the last few years. they need to get their act together and go back to producing 17" macbook pro's with tons of connectivity, update the mac pro (and make it cheaper) and come up with a monster touch screen like this Surface.

I saw this and drooled a little bit as well...but I ve invested so much money and time into my all-in Apple studio and software, going over to the nowadays-not-so dark-side still seems too daunting....I'm hoping that today's rumored rollout of new Mac hardware holds some surprises.

the closest thing for use with logic is the Slate Raven, but it's crazy expensive. this Surface looks like a really nice piece of kit. i've been an apple user for years as well and have also been disappointed with their commitment to pro users over the last few years. they need to get their act together and go back to producing 17" macbook pro's with tons of connectivity, update the mac pro (and make it cheaper) and come up with a monster touch screen like this Surface.
As always, Simeon,you are on point. The Raven, which I own, has proved disappointing and glitchy with my Logic/Mac Pro but the concept is obviously needed to be addressed by Apple.

It looks really great but still runs windows..so i wouldnt be able to run logic. I just find it kinda strange how they are somewhat becoming ironic to everything they harped on Apple for so long. A 28" touch screen seems really awesome...but it also starts out at 3 grand..

C'mon Apple...whatcha gonna do to earn my love and money?

Wow! MSPaint.exe has come a long ways!

;)

I saw this yesterday also, slick idea. With Windows 10 v1607 (Anniversary Edition) and the latest Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book drivers, Microsoft finally has a stable performing product that is getting better. It has been quite the evolution for Win 10 and devices all around, but this is a slick idea they have going after the graphic designers/musicians/creative folk.

#Nice

The design looks like they copied off an imac a bit. It does look cool - but running windows is the deal breaker for me. I have just never had issues with my imac - stability or otherwise. I turn it on, it works, and I turn it off. I come to work and use windows and deal with constant crashing, rebooting etc etc - literally every day. I think they need to concentrate on coming up with a decent stable operating system - all these bells and whistles look cool - but it actually has to work.

Yeah, that Microsoft display did catch my eye as well (although my current iMac 4k Retina keeps me quite happy).
I'd be more interested in an iMac if they'd bump the specs. For what you pay all you're getting is a great display. The rest is kind of meh hardware.

Windows 10 is pretty great. Built the wife s gaming PC this summer with Win10 on it and it's come a looooooong way in the decade I've been away from it.

Plus: it runs Debian software NATIVELY now. So my needs for a solid command line with *nix-type tools would be met.

Don't knock it 'till you try it. It's not your dad's OS anymore.

Apple Store is down...let's see what this morning brings!

I saw this and drooled a little bit as well...but I ve invested so much money and time into my all-in Apple studio and software, going over to the nowadays-not-so dark-side still seems too daunting....I'm hoping that today's rumored rollout of new Mac hardware holds some surprises.
Except for our iPhones all the Apple hardware in my house is aging out and needs replacement. Starting with my ancient mid-2007 iMac. So this is why a shift seems tenable to me. Right place and time to be wooed away.

The design looks like they copied off an imac a bit. It does look cool - but running windows is the deal breaker for me. I have just never had issues with my imac - stability or otherwise. I turn it on, it works, and I turn it off. I come to work and use windows and deal with constant crashing, rebooting etc etc - literally every day. I think they need to concentrate on coming up with a decent stable operating system - all these bells and whistles look cool - but it actually has to work.
Sounds like you are running crappy software.. I haven't had a crash/BSOD on windows since I moved to Win7 from XP64.
We run Win7x64 Enterprise at work, and I've been running Win10x64 Enterprise on machines at home for over a year.
Yes, we also have an iMac, iPads, iPhones, and Android tabs/phones at home, but I have more issues with connectivity (wireless/network) with the iMac than anything else. Time Machine regularly fails and I have speed/perf issues on the machine.. Maybe it's an age thing.. but it's running the latest OS, etc.
My windows machines don't have those issues. <shrug>.

I'm burning in a Win10x64 Ent OS, on an AMD 8-core 4Ghz, 16GB, Radeon RX470 GPU into an ASUS 4k mon - for my wife's Photography (photoshop, lightroom, topaz, etc) needs right now. Will fly.. compared to the iMac.

Sounds like you are running crappy software.. I haven't had a crash/BSOD on windows since I moved to Win7 from XP64.
We run Win7x64 Enterprise at work, and I've been running Win10x64 Enterprise on machines at home for over a year.
Yes, we also have an iMac, iPads, iPhones, and Android tabs/phones at home, but I have more issues with connectivity (wireless/network) with the iMac than anything else. Time Machine regularly fails and I have speed/perf issues on the machine.. Maybe it's an age thing.. but it's running the latest OS, etc.
My windows machines don't have those issues. <shrug>.

I'm burning in a Win10x64 Ent OS, on an AMD 8-core 4Ghz, 16GB, Radeon RX470 GPU into an ASUS 4k mon - for my wife's Photography (photoshop, lightroom, topaz, etc) needs right now. Will fly.. compared to the iMac.

Yeah - half our office is running win 7 pro, and half is on win 10 - Probably a total of around 80 people I would say. Honestly, I'm no computer expert - we could be running crappy software - its all proprietary so who knows.
I'm not saying I wouldn't be open to something like this - but the unknown scares me a bit. Once its out for awhile, I'll take a look at the options at that time.
I use my imac for PS, and LR as well - seems to be fairly fast using those. Using garage band and ableton and axe edit of course for music stuff - never really had any issues. We'll see what the future holds !

I'm not saying I wouldn't be open to something like this - but the unknown scares me a bit. Once its out for awhile, I'll take a look at the options at that time.
I'm usually bleeding edge when I buy tech. But this is a fair point; what software takes advantage of that touch screen display, dial and pen, will definitely make or break this as a long-term viable product.

Have you tried "Duet"? It is cool - it turns an iOS device into a touchscreen monitor. It is added as a second display for you computer.

If you are running logic, check out the logic remote app which is similar.
Yea, my iPad 2 is too old to run things reasonably any more. It's done as well. I think I mentioned above that most of my Apple gear at home is aging out (save for our iPhones).

You can find beefy ol MacPros on eBay - bought a couple myself.
I wish Apple would bring back the modular cheese grater form. The final version of that machine was fantastic -- accessible, crazy well built, and reasonably upgradeable. They fetch a crazy premium on eBay. More than I think is worthwhile. After having built that Windows 10 machine (Core i5, 16GB RAM, NX480) and seeing what you can piece together for a Windows machine, the investment in the mediocre hardware just to run macOS isn't feeling worth it to me.

Yes. It's not worth it. I don't do enough audio work to need a dedicated audio-only touch interface like that. I need a general purpose machine at home.

Back
Top Bottom