Boston "More Than A Feeling" Lead Tone New Sample Recording, Patch, and IR

That Boston sound...from Boston guy...(not from the band...the suburbs of the city!)

Upon listening to the last mix I posted I noticed that in the wee hours of the morning (actually well after sunrise) and staying up all night I didn't do the best job I could have on the mix. So after working so hard on the tone I figured it deserved more justice than what I gave it. The lead is too loud in the mix I posted and is lacking reverb that is on the album.

Sooooo, I did a quick remix to better demonstrate how the tone sits in the mix with a little reverb applied and at a more appropriate volume, although it may still be slightly too loud, but better too loud than buried. Here's the final result:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3

Thanks.

Hi Search4Tone,

First of all, excellent job!

I know what you mean about the sound being "bright," but I went back and listened to the original, and I think you pretty much have the right EQ on the lead sound! That said, I think the lead/solo is STILL a bit too loud, but I think a proper multiband/mastering-compressor applied to the lead-track itself AND the entire mix (subtle mastering-type stuff like 1.5:1 and more aggressively in the 2KHz-to-6KHz region on your lead-track.) The reason why I mention this is because it's pretty obvious that the backing-track had been compressed (before you got it I mean - NOT by you) so if you compress your track alone (perhaps slightly pulling back that upper-mid/treble spike just a wee-bit) and then compress your overall-mix, you might get the desired lead/solo guitar-level you seek without actually turning the track's level down. In other words, an MBC could "glue" the mix together!

Just my two-pennies...Oh yeah, that and the finger-vibrato could be more aggressive on the bent-notes in particular (IMO...especially the last note of the solo, where he bent that high "A" up to a "B" and applied vibrato ;-)

Bill

I click on the boston_lead_patch link above and get the mess below. The cab link works.

Your browser is trying to open the link. Not sure why it's different between the 2, but you need to do something like right click on the link and choose to save the contents of it, or something like that.

No, you have to overdub to get that, but with the chorus on it simulates 2 guitars playing in unison.

Could an approximation be accomplished using the pitch shifter, mixing the pitch shifted signal with the unaltered signal? Seems like I read something in the Axe Fx II manual about using the pitch shifter for a "Boston" lead tone.

Hi Search4Tone,

First of all, excellent job!

I know what you mean about the sound being "bright," but I went back and listened to the original, and I think you pretty much have the right EQ on the lead sound! That said, I think the lead/solo is STILL a bit too loud, but I think a proper multiband/mastering-compressor applied to the lead-track itself AND the entire mix (subtle mastering-type stuff like 1.5:1 and more aggressively in the 2KHz-to-6KHz region on your lead-track.) The reason why I mention this is because it's pretty obvious that the backing-track had been compressed (before you got it I mean - NOT by you) so if you compress your track alone (perhaps slightly pulling back that upper-mid/treble spike just a wee-bit) and then compress your overall-mix, you might get the desired lead/solo guitar-level you seek without actually turning the track's level down. In other words, an MBC could "glue" the mix together!

Just my two-pennies...Oh yeah, that and the finger-vibrato could be more aggressive on the bent-notes in particular (IMO...especially the last note of the solo, where he bent that high "A" up to a "B" and applied vibrato ;-)

Bill

Thanks. I agree about both the guitars still being too loud as well as the pitch bends. I'm not that good of a player unfortunately and it took a lot of takes to get it where it is. I can hear the deficiencies but my almost blistered finger is telling me to give it up!!! Maybe I should have used lighter gauge strings. That last note was a killer!!!

Tried this one but got instant solid red clipping on Output 1

Update.. maybe because I didn't download the IR?

Last edited:
Tried this one but got instant solid red clipping on Output 1

Update.. maybe because I didn't download the IR?

Yes, it clips hard with no cab! It also probably won't sound like you expect it to unless you play along with the backing track in an earlier post.

Wow, thanks so much for your great work and generosity. I also appreciate your tips and other contributions to the forum. Well done and many thanks again.

Once again...really close just listening to it off the cuff...a little more "sweep" in your vibrato on the high notes and you're there...

Pretty awesome.

I just ordered a Rockman on eBay to try out with the new Tone Matching feature... should be spot on!

Matt,
Please share that Rockman tone once you've tone matched it. I begged Cliff on several occasions to model that thing but he's not a big fan of the device. It has such a unique quality to it and was used on so many records I could really use it for a number of things that we do in our 80's tribute band.

Good stuff man! Can't wait for amp and tone matching which are going to raise the bar for any and all products in this category.

wow this is ridiculously good!
thanks for sharing I can't wait to open this patch up and see how you did this

Dude, between this and your Limelight patch, I had to put myself on the Axe II list. Thanks (I guess). Seriously, great stuff...

Well, this is it. I'm done.

The patch is bright. It doesn't sound that bright in the mix but it's bright by itself. Tom Scholz used mellow rhythm guitars and bright "buzzy" lead guitars. The AXE-FX II does 100% of the sound now. The cab is bright and does more to contour and shape the mids than to tame the highs.

I put a chorus block near the end that wasn't on the recording but sounds good playing solo. You might also want to reduce the treble for solo playing.

Here are the files:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3 (Mix updated on 2/20/2012 at 2am EST, reduced volume of guitars and added a touch of reverb)

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Lead_Patch.syx

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Cab_Mono_HiRes.syx

Enjoy. I've taken this as far as I can. Too many other sounds to work on now. This box ROCKS!!!

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing. While I may never use this, it's great to see what can be done and it sounds great. The playing was fun to listen to! I've never really messed with Boston because the sound is so specific and it just doesn't sound the same, but that's so darn close, I might end up giving it a whirl! LOL

If you care to share any of your experience/steps as you tweaked/created the sound, I'd be interested in hearing it. I just got the AXE last year and haven't jumped too far in past the presets. There is so much, so it's interesting to hear what folks are doing to get the sounds they are getting. Again - thanks for sharing.

Sweet bro, thanks for sharing! Just added a pitch block for the 'piece of mind' intro and solo, pretty cool!!!

Well, this is it. I'm done.

The patch is bright. It doesn't sound that bright in the mix but it's bright by itself. Tom Scholz used mellow rhythm guitars and bright "buzzy" lead guitars. The AXE-FX II does 100% of the sound now. The cab is bright and does more to contour and shape the mids than to tame the highs.

I put a chorus block near the end that wasn't on the recording but sounds good playing solo. You might also want to reduce the treble for solo playing.

Here are the files:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3 (Mix updated on 2/20/2012 at 2am EST, reduced volume of guitars and added a touch of reverb)

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Lead_Patch.syx

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Cab_Mono_HiRes.syx

Enjoy. I've taken this as far as I can. Too many other sounds to work on now. This box ROCKS!!!

Thanks!
Is it still possible to get these presets ? Your web site is not available anymore.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom