Boston "More Than A Feeling" Lead Tone New Sample Recording, Patch, and IR

Search4Tone

Inspired
Well, this is it. I'm done.

The patch is bright. It doesn't sound that bright in the mix but it's bright by itself. Tom Scholz used mellow rhythm guitars and bright "buzzy" lead guitars. The AXE-FX II does 100% of the sound now. The cab is bright and does more to contour and shape the mids than to tame the highs.

I put a chorus block near the end that wasn't on the recording but sounds good playing solo. You might also want to reduce the treble for solo playing.

Here are the files:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3 (Mix updated on 2/20/2012 at 2am EST, reduced volume of guitars and added a touch of reverb)

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Lead_Patch.syx

http://www.rockrollband.com/Boston_Cab_Mono_HiRes.syx

Enjoy. I've taken this as far as I can. Too many other sounds to work on now. This box ROCKS!!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Very nice, even better than your earlier attempts. You also played the parts a little better and balanced the harmony guitar better. Well done.

I wish I could have had an AxeFx II and your patch back in the 70s when my cover band at the time was doing 3 or 4 Boston songs. I need a time machine. Anybody got a flux capacitor?

Sounds great, and thanks for sharing. I made a feeble attempt a while back, but never did get back to it.

Dude. Seriously thank you. I haven't looked at it yet, but this is one of about 3 or 4 tones that I've never EVER been able to dial in on anything that I've tried and have always wanted. I don't care about all the negative comments about his tone over the years; its absolutely one of those signature tones that no one else has and instrumental to the song. I mean I play a lot of other songs with 'close enough' and it sounds great, but Boston songs just never sound right without that soaring ridiculous sound.

Just listening to the clip I'm excited about not only playing it but figure out what the hell is going on in your head. ;)

Pretty awesome.

I just ordered a Rockman on eBay to try out with the new Tone Matching feature... should be spot on!

Ooooh, that makes it sound like the tone matching is not too far off in the future. Me likey

Great job on the tone S4T :ugeek

Edit: Just saw the 124,549 page thread on Tone Matching LOL. How the hell did I miss that one

Last edited:
Pretty awesome.

I just ordered a Rockman on eBay to try out with the new Tone Matching feature... should be spot on!

Thanks. May I give you a couple of tips? I assume that's a yes.

I've owned the Rockman portable X-100, several of the Rockman half rack space Sustainors (which aren't all the same inside), and the Ultimatum. I don't know why but for some reason ALL of them have a cab simulator that has FAR too low of a cutoff point. In other words they are all "dull" sounding and all the EQ in the world won't correct for it. They do a decent rhythm tone, but let's face it, users want the lead tone (IMHO at least) not the rhythm tone.

The Rockmans DO however shape the midrange of the tone quite nicely for a Boston type lead tone. My suggestion would be to alter the final sound that you get (which will be too dull to sound like the original or second Boston albums) in some way so that you don't filter out as much of the high frequency content.

Tom Scholz, for whatever reason, either made a conscious decision to make the cutoff freq of the cab sim WAY too low, or he screwed up when he designed the Rockman. I don't know which. All I can say is that if the cutoff frequency were raised the Rockman would have been a kick-ass product. A lot of people make fun of it and call it a cartoonish version of the Boston sound, and I have to agree, but it's ONLY because of the dull sound, again IMHO. If it had the "buzz" of the original Boston leads, which could have been achieved by simply setting the filter cutoff higher, it would do a GREAT job for Boston leads.

I have some other news I'll share. I have an unfair advantage that allowed me to gain a lot of insight into the Boston sound. I have the complete 21 track multi-track of More Than a Feeling with every single instrument including each of the lead guitars on its own track. You would be very surprised to hear some of the raw tracks. Some sound very crude. But when you play it all together it sounds phenomenal. I even did a remix of the song for my own listening pleasure with the vocals louder and with more bass in them and with an enhanced bass drum, etc. etc. Please don't ask for it - I don't want to get sued and frankly I don't think this should be floating around out there. I stumbled on it one day online and now I don't see it anymore. My good fortune but it's locked in a vault over here.

One other tip for anybody using this patch I posted. If you want to reduce the brightness, use the second PEQ that's in the signal chain (it's PEQ1 but they appear in reverse order). If you go into PEQ1, go to the F2 tab, and set the gain to zero, using a run of the mill lead position humbucking pickup you will get a sound that's almost indistinguishable from the raw lead guitar on the multi-track. The reason I used PEQ1's F2 tab to brighten the sound was to match the album. It's obvious that the raw track was brightened up in the final mixdown. For solo playing, turn that gain down to zero or maybe slightly higher and you can crank it up louder without it getting harsh sounding. If you want to use it in a recording leave it as is or EQ to taste.

I do however think that the distortion I got from the compressor (Sonitus in Sonar) to put on top of the amp distortion made the character of the distortion slightly closer than just the Soldano model used. I wish Cliff would make the release time of the compressor 1ms instead of 10ms, or better yet 0.1 ms. This would allow a unique type of distortion to be obtained that I can't get out of any of the amp or drive blocks. A person can wish...

I gotta say, I'm totally blown away by this piece of equipment. Even after owning an Ultra for years, I'm still blown away. The 50 user IRs and the IR creator and the new design of the cab block are brilliant additions. I didn't put any "room" in the cab sound (and I suspect a lot of people are going to abuse this function and screw up their recordings) but adding just a TINY bit of a small room to the sound can bring the sound alive IMHO.

Thanks.

Great patch & recording. Thanks for taking the time in creating and explaining youre work. I'm a huge Boston-sound fan.

One last mixdown of the tone

Upon listening to the last mix I posted I noticed that in the wee hours of the morning (actually well after sunrise) and staying up all night I didn't do the best job I could have on the mix. So after working so hard on the tone I figured it deserved more justice than what I gave it. The lead is too loud in the mix I posted and is lacking reverb that is on the album.

Sooooo, I did a quick remix to better demonstrate how the tone sits in the mix with a little reverb applied and at a more appropriate volume, although it may still be slightly too loud, but better too loud than buried. Here's the final result:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3

Thanks.

Backing Track for Lead

Lastly, since I said I would post this, here is the backing track to the MTAF lead if anybody wants it. Hopefully there aren't any copyright issues. I'm certain I'm not hurting sales of Boston albums, and I'll give them a plug here if it's OK - they will be touring this year in a few cities. If you're interested just search for it online.

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAFLeadBacking.mp3

It's in 48K so it can be used with the AXE as the audio interface allowing one to play along.

I wish the AXE would do 44.1 but I understand the reasons it doesn't and I'd prefer not to waste money and fidelity on crappy hardware converters or CPU power on software converters. The only reason I used 44.1 was that a lot of sample libraries are recorded in 44.1 (ToonTrack drums for one) and they load painfully slowly in a 48k project although they do load. I'm guessing they are getting resampled as they load but I really don't know.

The ability to record the dry guitar track using the AXE input circuitry and reamp it with no loss in fidelity now compels me to use 48k. That's just one more great feature.

Upon listening to the last mix I posted I noticed that in the wee hours of the morning (actually well after sunrise) and staying up all night I didn't do the best job I could have on the mix. So after working so hard on the tone I figured it deserved more justice than what I gave it. The lead is too loud in the mix I posted and is lacking reverb that is on the album.

Sooooo, I did a quick remix to better demonstrate how the tone sits in the mix with a little reverb applied and at a more appropriate volume, although it may still be slightly too loud, but better too loud than buried. Here's the final result:

http://www.rockrollband.com/MTAF5.mp3

Thanks.

Does your patch get the dual guitar tone (I would assume this would require the pitch shifter)? I tried to get that a while back, but couldn't seem to get there.

Does your patch get the dual guitar tone (I would assume this would require the pitch shifter)? I tried to get that a while back, but couldn't seem to get there.

No, you have to overdub to get that, but with the chorus on it simulates 2 guitars playing in unison.

I click on the boston_lead_patch link above and get the mess below. The cab link works.

ðtw÷ðtx@Boston Lead gdj@÷ðtx@~ilfhtnS÷ðtx@j$o~a ne$t(8y!~w2s%~@
*U@UN/z(+@T*neneM3SW2f4T*y!P<GMXauW÷ðtx@au33%~<BeneM9Y -~~s%fLU*~g:Z3
K
$tZ*Unew23)a2f
P÷ðtx@)UK
M~~<
~9Y -~l4F(~~KFc~4V÷ðtx@~~KFc3~t.? h"~x~\ K~~CFK{÷ðtx@dyx{>UV'~~ 
K
T~> Kf;] 2ne|G;G÷ðtx@{:~Kg!T2^n*}]M ~Kh>w~g~`~lyX~Wy@};:3\[~ Di?}PXQ_#*÷ðtx@_=yFy?9Qyys)uKi~}nBQne~4}uQ
-uQ3fw23fK~Lg9Y9Y6'4~k/8=
oz÷ðtx@8=3fK~g9Y9Y I@
U?p 
K
N~~~~;Y;Y&÷ðtx@;Y;Y;Y;Y;Y;YfL#r3KL33feLfLfL3feL332f3fE÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtx@>÷ðtyJlY÷

Back
Top Bottom