bon jovi it´s my life, race againt the machine whammy

gasman

Hello, I have tried to set a vocoder and whamm for this tunes and use my digital control with ernie ball volume(cc controllers) but I didn´t get a great tone on this fx

gasman said:
Hello, I have tried to set a vocoder and whamm for this tunes and use my digital control with ernie ball volume(cc controllers) but I didn´t get a great tone on this fx

That's not a vocoder that is a talk box. Vocoder, think "Funky Town" or a Cylon from the old Battlestar Galaltica.

gasman said:
I had a mistake, yes it´s a talk box so what fx on fractal, how adjust whammy?

Formant Filter is more similar effect, but the axe-fx really doen't have a talk box.
Which RATM song?

For KITN: Classic Whammy with 2 Oct up.

I dialed the tone way back and still find it too trebly, need to work on an additional EQ I suppose.

gasman said:

Hey,

I play both these tunes in our band and got someway close to both sounds. I use the formant filter for It's my like and a whammy up 1 octave for RATM. I will see if I can upload the patch to axechange from work, you will need to change the cab models as I am using Clawfinger's custom IRs.

Spence

http://www.axechange.net/preset.aspx?preset_id=405

Here is the preset, I took out all of the other junk that I usually have in there to leave you with the meat and potatoes.

Quick run through.

Pitch 1 (CL Whammy +1 Oct) -> TS808->Recto New->Pitch 2 (+1 Oct)-> Cab (Clawfinger Marshall EAW 4x12 on and off axis) -> Formant Filter controlled by env.

Pitch 1 will get you in the ball park of killing in the name of solo.
Pitch 2 I use for You give love a bad name.
Formant filter is for It's my life.

Hope you like and remember that the custom cabs play a massive part of my tone so if you don't have them I would think you would need to rework the recto quite drastically.

Spence

xpenno said:
http://www.axechange.net/preset.aspx?preset_id=405

Here is the preset, I took out all of the other junk that I usually have in there to leave you with the meat and potatoes.

Quick run through.

Pitch 1 (CL Whammy +1 Oct) -> TS808->Recto New->Pitch 2 (+1 Oct)-> Cab (Clawfinger Marshall EAW 4x12 on and off axis) -> Formant Filter controlled by env.

Pitch 1 will get you in the ball park of killing in the name of solo.
Pitch 2 I use for You give love a bad name.
Formant filter is for It's my life.

Hope you like and remember that the custom cabs play a massive part of my tone so if you don't have them I would think you would need to rework the recto quite drastically.

Spence

Sorry man, but it must be _2 Oct Up on the whammy, check his tutorial around 2:36

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ejymOPMpoJA

xpenno said:
hunter said:
Sorry man, but it must be _2 Oct Up on the whammy, check his tutorial around 2:36

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ejymOPMpoJA

No need to apologise! It is what it is, I have to say it sounds ok going to 1 octave but I will give 2 a go, thanks for the info :cool:

Spence

Welcome, you have to dial back the tone on the whammy all the way, and it still feels too trebly, guess on the studio recording they added loads of low mids to the solo to fatten it up.

gasman said:

See my post in this thread above:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8180

That's the talk box patch I use for Livin on a Prayer...same for It's My Life.

guitar geek puts the Whammy in the fx loop of the amp.

so try it between the amp and cab block. you might like it better.

:)

or not.
:(

DonPetersen said:
guitar geek puts the Whammy in the fx loop of the amp.

so try it between the amp and cab block. you might like it better.

:)

or not.
:(

I use the standard rule of thumb that..if it comes before your amp when you use it "in real life" it should come before the amp in the Axe.
A whammy is on the guitar...therefore, it should be the first thing (IN MY OPINION) in the signal chain.

To the Rage Against the Machine topic in particular, I can only speak to KILLING IN THE NAME OF since it's the only RAM song I've ever done in a cover band.
That was a two octave whammy pedal he was using so, that's how I set it up.

I use the standard rule of thumb that..if it comes before your amp when you use it "in real life" it should come before the amp in the Axe.
A whammy is on the guitar...therefore, it should be the first thing (IN MY OPINION) in the signal chain.

A Whammy pedal is something completely different than a "whammy bar" on the guitar.....

On the subject of position: being a pitch shifter, the Whammy benefits from a clean signal from the guitar for correct pitch detection. So that would mean early in the chain, close to the guitar. OTOH and IMHO, a pitch shifter sounds much better after distortion, so that would indicate a spot after the amp (if the amp provides the gain). I have it after the amp and it functions great there.

yek said:

A Whammy pedal is something completely different than a "whammy bar" on the guitar.....

On the subject of position: being a pitch shifter, the Whammy benefits from a clean signal from the guitar for correct pitch detection. So that would mean early in the chain, close to the guitar. OTOH and IMHO, a pitch shifter sounds much better after distortion, so that would indicate a spot after the amp (if the amp provides the gain). I have it after the amp and it functions great there.

As in all things musical my friend...your mileage may vary since it's such a subjective thing.
You're right however, I went back and looked at my RAM patch for Killing In the Name of...I have the whammy, 2 octave, after the amp.
.....it's been some time since I'd used it so, I had to go back to see it.
Clearly, after doing some experimentation, I found that for that application, it worked best there..as I said...Your Mileage May Vary...lol

Back
Top Bottom