Bluechip Picks

2 jazz picks are 75 bucks. 2 are 50. All the other 9 are 35. I use the 55 thickness and can't see why one would ever need to go thicker. They're noticeable stiffer than other picks for a given thickness.
Exactly what I saw, 4 out of 13 picks were over $35. Still, no way I'm going pay $35 for a (#*&)(@_)(^ pick LOL!

It's only a few extra thick (2.5mm) picks they have that are $75. Most of their picks are $35. Which is still a lot for a pick for sure, but I like how they feel, they don't wear, and the price makes me think twice about losing them!
Still it's a piece of plastic. 35 for a small piece of plastic that you can lose faster than you can look.

If I buy a tortex pack, upon opening atleast 2-3 vanish into the aether, the great beyond.

• Haha
Reactions: BBN
Still it's a piece of plastic. 35 for a small piece of plastic that you can lose faster than you can look.

If I buy a tortex pack, upon opening atleast 2-3 vanish into the aether, the great beyond.

They're far from just a piece of plastic. If they were, they would wear down like cheap picks.

Like anything else, they’re either worth it to you or they aren’t — not really sure there’s anything more to say. Also I don’t lose picks, so I’m not worried about spending a little more. They aren’t disposable to me.

I don't get people who drop picks. I never drop picks, never have. It's like loosing your keys 🤷‍♂️

And yeah, the Bluechip are not plastic. They're literally made from a self lubricating material developed and used in the space industry. It costs crazy amounts of money (like 5 figures for a small sheet).

I think 35 USD is a steal. I live in Sweden and pay considerably more for mine, like 63 USD per pick. Still one of the best investments a guitar player can make. They sound, feel, play, and last like nothing else. They're the only picks that make you a better player. No slipping around so you have to fiddle around. No fatigue from gripping like a mad man. Glides of the strings without catching or friction, yet produce a loud and clear note.

Since they pretty much don't wear, they're consistent. Every stroke feels the same, unlike regular picks that just get worse by the minute. And never were that great to begin with.

TLDR; If you don't like these, then you don't like nice things.

I don't get people who drop picks. I never drop picks, never have. It's like loosing your keys 🤷‍♂️

And yeah, the Bluechip are not plastic. They're literally made from a self lubricating material developed and used in the space industry. It costs crazy amounts of money (like 5 figures for a small sheet).

I think 35 USD is a steal. I live in Sweden and pay considerably more for mine, like 63 USD per pick. Still one of the best investments a guitar player can make. They sound, feel, play, and last like nothing else. They're the only picks that make you a better player. No slipping around so you have to fiddle around. No fatigue from gripping like a mad man. Glides of the strings without catching or friction, yet produce a loud and clear note.

Since they pretty much don't wear, they're consistent. Every stroke feels the same, unlike regular picks that just get worse by the minute. And never were that great to begin with.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I have a Blue Chip, Red Bear, BHL and Hawk picks, And lately ive been using either the JP Trinity or the JP Flow. I like trying out picks but I usually just go back to some sort of Dunlop pick in the Jazz III area.

I love the Blue Chips!
Red Bears got scratched up from pickslides and worn down for me.
But the Blue Chips I use for months and months and can barely see any signs of use!

2 jazz picks are 75 bucks. 2 are 50. All the other 9 are 35. I use the 55 thickness and can't see why one would ever need to go thicker. They're noticeable stiffer than other picks for a given thickness.
Oops... You are right. I guess I didn't see all of them.

As far as stiffness, I feel like the JP Jazz III 1.5mm is as stiff as you could need. There's no flex I can detect.

I don't know about those picks - never heard of them here in Australia. But I do have a mate who is a gemstone hunter and cutter, and he has made me some fantastic stone picks. In fact he calls them S-Tone picks. I have quite a collection of them now. Here's a video from our own Burgs reviewing Paul's picks:

I believe the material is Vespel By DuPont.
Blue Chip are or used to be in the digital electronics industry.
So they probably were using Vespel on their boards where you mount CPUs.
I have one of their picks. Its good. But the claims made here are exaggerated in every way.

Bluechip picks are made out of vespel SP-1/polyimide/kapton plastic -- self-lubricating, usable at cryogenic temperatures up to 500 F. The material actually is very expensive. About half the cost of a Bluechip pick is the material alone. They are worth it, in my opinion. BC picks project a great warm tone. They glide over the strings. And, they last forever. Paradoxically, moisture helps improve their grip. Not only that, they can easily be re-beveled with a fine file and some good fine grit paper. I have re-beveled my Bluechip picks to a symmetric, finer-edged, Gravity-pick type of bevel -- for added precision and brightness. The finer-edged bevel lasts quite well. But, not as long as the more round-beveled edge that the BC picks are made with. The thicker picks just have more girth/depth in their tone. But, a finer-edged bevel will also bring back the trebles of a thinner pick. Why? I don't know. It is just what I have noticed. But, IMHO, the Blue-chip picks are better suited to Acoustic guitar and bluegrass flat-picking. They really smooth out a lot of the sibilant string noise caused by hard picking. They are also exceptionally great for Jazz and smoother-mellower tones and styles. For harder blues, rock, metal I have been using the Gravity Classic Gold picks instead. They are slightly brighter than the Blue chip picks. And, they have plenty of string-glide -- more than other picks -- but, not quite as much as the Blue Chip. Some of the string glide is lost to the sharper bevel. The Gravity Gold does have that great, solid, smooth, projecting tone like the Blue chip. The Gravity Gold is also higher priced -- but lower priced than the Bluechip. In both cases, Bluechip and Gravity Gold, I think the price is more than well worth it, tone-wise. They can add girth/depth/complexity/fullness/power to your tone in a way nothing else will. There is something special about being able to keep your trebles up and still play hard with a BC pick -- without being spiky or strident. If you need, or want, a slightly brighter sound try the Gravity Gold (it is an unnamed plastic alloy.) Ultex/polyamide is my next favorite pick material, particularly the Dunlop Primetone or Petrucci Signature pick. The Dunlop-JazzIII and the Herco picks are also very good. They are nylon, a particular type of polyamides, much more abrasion-resistant. Nylon picks can not be hand-beveled successfully. Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, The Edge, Jimmy Page, Neil Young have all preferred the JazzIII/Herco-style nylon picks. However, if you prefer a stiff, heavy pick and just wish it would glide over the strings with more ease and have a more robust tone -- try Bluechip or Gravity Gold.

Bluechip picks are made out of vespel SP-1/polyimide/kapton plastic -- self-lubricating, usable at cryogenic temperatures up to 500 F. The material actually is very expensive. About half the cost of a Bluechip pick is the material alone. They are worth it, in my opinion. BC picks project a great warm tone. They glide over the strings. And, they last forever. Paradoxically, moisture helps improve their grip. Not only that, they can easily be re-beveled with a fine file and some good fine grit paper. I have re-beveled my Bluechip picks to a symmetric, finer-edged, Gravity-pick type of bevel -- for added precision and brightness. The finer-edged bevel lasts quite well. But, not as long as the more round-beveled edge that the BC picks are made with. The thicker picks just have more girth/depth in their tone. But, a finer-edged bevel will also bring back the trebles of a thinner pick. Why? I don't know. It is just what I have noticed. But, IMHO, the Blue-chip picks are better suited to Acoustic guitar and bluegrass flat-picking. They really smooth out a lot of the sibilant string noise caused by hard picking. They are also exceptionally great for Jazz and smoother-mellower tones and styles. For harder blues, rock, metal I have been using the Gravity Classic Gold picks instead. They are slightly brighter than the Blue chip picks. And, they have plenty of string-glide -- more than other picks -- but, not quite as much as the Blue Chip. Some of the string glide is lost to the sharper bevel. The Gravity Gold does have that great, solid, smooth, projecting tone like the Blue chip. The Gravity Gold is also higher priced -- but lower priced than the Bluechip. In both cases, Bluechip and Gravity Gold, I think the price is more than well worth it, tone-wise. They can add girth/depth/complexity/fullness/power to your tone in a way nothing else will. There is something special about being able to keep your trebles up and still play hard with a BC pick -- without being spiky or strident. If you need, or want, a slightly brighter sound try the Gravity Gold (it is an unnamed plastic alloy.) Ultex/polyamide is my next favorite pick material, particularly the Dunlop Primetone or Petrucci Signature pick. The Dunlop-JazzIII and the Herco picks are also very good. They are nylon, a particular type of polyamides, much more abrasion-resistant. Nylon picks can not be hand-beveled successfully. Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, The Edge, Jimmy Page, Neil Young have all preferred the JazzIII/Herco-style nylon picks. However, if you prefer a stiff, heavy pick and just wish it would glide over the strings with more ease and have a more robust tone -- try Bluechip or Gravity Gold.
I have used both extensively and agree with all of the above. But again the differences are more on the subtle side.
Thinner picks in general have a more focused and clear tone.
For me the ultimate pick would be thin but stiff. But not hard like metal and sticks to your skin like silicone.
Currently I’m using Taylor Thermo plastic-the blue swirl ones. 1mm or so.

I bought a BC for acoustic. Was too dark sounding for my guitar which already sounded full and rich. Needed a pick with more bite on high end. That said, I still keep the BC along with others I’ve tried. Long story short, I’ve been on Fender Tortuga for some time. I switch between acoustic and electric a lot during a gig and that pick is kind of unique because it works well on both my guitars.

Thinner picks in general have a more focused and clear tone.
Yes, "focused" is a useful description. I might say girth, or thickness, to describe an extended lower bandwidth. But, my "girth" may simply be dark and unfocused in a different context. A sharper bevel is an attempt to bring some of the focus of a physically thinner pick to a physically thicker pick. In a mix, or in a band, "focused" and "more defined" have a lot of meaning. I will have to check out the Taylor Thermex pick, now. That is a new one to me. Picks are comparable to different guitars and amps. They are all better at some things than others -- and even that is somewhat shaped by the people who use them.

How the gravity gold picks are durable compared to the blue chip?
I'm interested in a durable pick but the only distributor in Germany wants 47€ for the TD60.

I still have a few that I bought several years ago and I liked them fine, but it wasn't realistic to keep using picks that I was afraid of losing every time I played them. I ultimately have settled on the newer JP 2.0 mm picks which for me had a similar feel without the sticker shock.

I have some JP too but the size is not so comfortable for my, let's say "playing style" 😅.
Too small for longer time or live playing for me.
Big hands.

Back
Top Bottom