Bluechip Picks

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
Big thanks to my fellow forumites for introducing me to these. They greatly improve tone, I haven't seen any wear after months of heavy use, and best of all I hardly have to grip them. Pick slippage has always been a big problem for me, and my right hand would get sore from holding them so tightly. And MAN the speed bevel option is just perfect for me.

I use a few from Red Bear, which is likely similar...the guys in my band thought I was crazy for spending $30+ on a pick but after they heard the difference in headphones while we were recording (played the same part twice), they got it. Not to mention it just feels way more effortless to play.

And yes, on the surface $30-$40 for a pick does sound pretty crazy, but in comparison to the amount of money we spend on all this stuff (and especially for a small device that has a huge impact on tone and ergonomics) it's totally reasonable. I do think it's one of those things you need to try for yourself to believe however.

edit: I played a festival gig a few years ago and had a few picks down on my pedal board...after our set a fan came up to the stage and asked if she could have a guitar pick as she collects them from all the bands she follows. I said 'sure!' without really thinking about it, and it wasn't until she walked away that I realized she now had my favorite, best-worn-in Guthrie Govan Red Bear :confused:

Last edited:
Damn, the Jazz size is $75.
Wow, and ow.
Wish I could try one down the street, but they seem to only have dealers in their neck of the woods.

After hemming and hawing for months over the price of BC's, I calculated how much I was spending on picks (Dunlop PrimeTone, Flow, etc) and decided the BC's were worth a shot if I wasn't dropping $XX/gig (usually 2 picks either worn out or 1 worn, 1 lost). I've been using the same Blue Chip since February with little wear and much less dropping/losing of picks. AND they sound better than my previous preferences.

Apart from everything else, the bevel was really the main selling point. When I was using regular picks, as they wore down they would eventually hit that sweet spot where a bevel naturally formed. But it didn't last long. With the Bluechips it's there right away and stays there.

Apart from everything else, the bevel was really the main selling point. When I was using regular picks, as they wore down they would eventually hit that sweet spot where a bevel naturally formed. But it didn't last long. With the Bluechips it's there right away and stays there.
I'm with you on the bevel thing (my current one is a bit past its prime), but I don't think I'm likely to keep track of them well enough to be practical. I'm not gigging, and I don't lose picks a lot, but to lose one at that price would just piss me off, don't think I can do it.

I'm with you on the bevel thing (my current one is a bit past its prime), but I don't think I'm likely to keep track of them well enough to be practical. I'm not gigging, and I don't lose picks a lot, but to lose one at that price would just piss me off, don't think I can do it.

I got the little pick box with mine to make sure I don't lose them.

Do you guys play really heavy or something?

I mean I can wear out a Fender medium style pick... Even a Dunlop Tortex will wear a little for me after a lot of use. The JP Jazz III, I don't even think after months had any wear. I would lose it sooner than that ;)

Do you guys play really heavy or something?

I mean I can wear out a Fender medium style pick... Even a Dunlop Tortex will wear a little for me after a lot of use. The JP Jazz III, I don't even think after months had any wear. I would lose it sooner than that ;)
I don't think so, but regular picks have always worn down really fast for me.

75$ for ONE PICK?!?!
It's only a few extra thick (2.5mm) picks they have that are $75. Most of their picks are $35. Which is still a lot for a pick for sure, but I like how they feel, they don't wear, and the price makes me think twice about losing them!

It's only a few extra thick (2.5mm) picks they have that are $75. Most of their picks are $35. Which is still a lot for a pick for sure, but I like how they feel, they don't wear, and the price makes me think twice about losing them!
I was just on the site and most of the ones I saw were $50+... But I was looking at the Jazz types.

Actually not similar at all, very different material from the BC's.

Blue Chip is a bit to mellow sounding to me most of the time, but they are the smoothest feeling pick I've ever tried.
Yeah, I hated the Red Beard. Just a crap product. One of those couldn't last me more than a handful of songs.

Back
Top Bottom