Bluechip Picks

Resin. I just ran across another pick material that I like -- to my surprise -- resin. To my ears resin stands somewhere between the Bluechip material and the Gravity Gold material. The material moves smoothly over the strings -- even though Bluechip is still clear winner in smoothness. The type of bevel makes a big difference in how a pick moves over the strings. Blue chip still stands out as the one with the roundest tone and smoothest picking action. However, Bluechip is also the darkest sounding -- very suitable for Jazz and Bluegrass flat picking -- or anyone who wants a smoother, warmer sound. Gravity Gold also has a smooth picking action. But, GG is brighter sounding while the pick noise is is still lower than most picks. Resin falls somewhere between the BC and the GG. Resin has about the same picking smoothness as the GG -- but not as good as the BC. Resin is warmer with less chirp than the GG and brighter with more chirp than the Bluechip. It is also more affordable ($3-4.) You can even buy a silicone mold and try your own hand at making them. However, like anything, there are tricks to getting the best results.

All three pick types are fileable and sandable. Which means all three can be customized to the bevel or edge you prefer (symmetric, Left or Right hand; angled Bevel with varying degrees of sharpness, a rounded edge, or a squared-off edge; a rounder or pointier tip profile; file it to the size you like.) You can also re-bevel these picks as they wear. I haven't used a resin pick long enough to discuss wear -- which may vary with type of resin and hardener. But, it seems, and I expect, it will wear quite slowly. All these picks are hard non-flexible picks starting at 1-1.5 mm thickness.

Some harder metal players like extreme pick chirp. I don't think these picks will satisfy hard-chirp fans as much as acrylic and Dragonheart picks would. As I mentioned before, I found Dragonheart picks to be less smooth over the strings. For me, Bluechip, Resin, and Gravity Gold are all useful. I wouldn't think twice about moving from one to the other for a brighter or darker pick attack and pick tone. Having said all this, If I had to chose one, I would chose the GG because I use it the most often. I would really miss the Bluechip though, it is a very unique pick. If I had to do without one, it would be the resin pick. I get more range in tone between the BC and the GG. However, I will still be using the GG as my main pick for electric guitar.

Resin is a brand?
No, It is just straight ordinary epoxy resin, such as used for live edge river tables and lazy susans. I doubt there is a standard resin -- or amount of hardener. But, if you check Reverb and type in -- Resin Pick -- all kinds of choices will come up. I still prefer the Gravity Gold -- but there is no right or wrong here. Just what feels and sounds best to the player.

That's just the cranky old coot in me showing.
In general, us cranky old coots are drawing from a lot of experience, which tends to make one wary of lots of claims. But I'm considering trying some out, since I'm fairly convinced re the longevity claims. Whether or not they'll help me play better..., I'm wise enough to know the only way I'll know if that's true, is to try them for myself. Not concerned about the money, since it's not about cost anyway, it's about value. I can return them.

The pick attack is the start of it all, so it should be the best it can be for every player. Trying very hard to up my game, I recently realized I needed a pick stiffer than Fender mediums. After trying many types and thicknesses, I'm liking the 1.0 Ultex Sharp well enough that I bought a 72-pack. But they wear quickly. Since even the slightest change in pick shape must contribute to how accurately your (fast) technique may be affected, I try to eliminate that variable, and throw em away as soon as they start to get rounded.

I think I'm finding (pretty sure, actually) that 1.0mm is still too thin, so I'm intrigued by this thread, and will probably try a few different ones. In the end, if I find a keeper, I'm fairly confident the only thing I'll truly spend is my time figuring out which ones to buy, putting them through the test, then dealing with returning what I don't like. If one of these picks noticeably helps me with string changes, helps me get the riffs I want to be able to play, up to speed, and takes away some, but not all, of the attack, I'd be ok with spending twice what I'm spending now.

And in the grand scheme of things, when you have 2500 dollar effects units, and twice that amount in the amps, speakers, and just one guitar, it really starts to look like an issue that you shouldn't even be sweating (assuming of course, that your picking technique is a very important detail to you. I know for some players, it just isn't. So my rationale wouldn't apply to them.) And I thank this forum, and particularly this thread starter and many who have added their input, for making me aware of these picks in the first place. If it works out, it'll end up being yet another way the Axe Fx III has made me a much better player!

In general, us cranky old coots are drawing from a lot of experience, which tends to make one wary of lots of claims. But I'm considering trying some out, since I'm fairly convinced re the longevity claims. Whether or not they'll help me play better..., I'm wise enough to know the only way I'll know if that's true, is to try them for myself. Not concerned about the money, since it's not about cost anyway, it's about value. I can return them.

The pick attack is the start of it all, so it should be the best it can be for every player. Trying very hard to up my game, I recently realized I needed a pick stiffer than Fender mediums. After trying many types and thicknesses, I'm liking the 1.0 Ultex Sharp well enough that I bought a 72-pack. But they wear quickly. Since even the slightest change in pick shape must contribute to how accurately your (fast) technique may be affected, I try to eliminate that variable, and throw em away as soon as they start to get rounded.

I think I'm finding (pretty sure, actually) that 1.0mm is still too thin, so I'm intrigued by this thread, and will probably try a few different ones. In the end, if I find a keeper, I'm fairly confident the only thing I'll truly spend is my time figuring out which ones to buy, putting them through the test, then dealing with returning what I don't like. If one of these picks noticeably helps me with string changes, helps me get the riffs I want to be able to play, up to speed, and takes away some, but not all, of the attack, I'd be ok with spending twice what I'm spending now.

And in the grand scheme of things, when you have 2500 dollar effects units, and twice that amount in the amps, speakers, and just one guitar, it really starts to look like an issue that you shouldn't even be sweating (assuming of course, that your picking technique is a very important detail to you. I know for some players, it just isn't. So my rationale wouldn't apply to them.) And I thank this forum, and particularly this thread starter and many who have added their input, for making me aware of these picks in the first place. If it works out, it'll end up being yet another way the Axe Fx III has made me a much better player!

I have a cranky old coot coworker who also plays. I let him borrow one for a few days. After he returned it, he ordered a couple for himself.

I'm extremely critical of anything resembling snake oil, so I get what you're saying. I tend to call bullshit and snake oil when I see it. After my horrible experience with Red Bear picks, it was a real leap of faith for me to try the Bluechips. I'm so glad that I did.

I should send Andy Wood a box of chocolates or something as a thank you for turning me on to them.

I'm extremely critical of anything resembling snake oil, so I get what you're saying. I tend to call bullshit and snake oil when I see it. After my horrible experience with Red Bear picks, it was a real leap of faith for me to try the Bluechips. I'm so glad that I did.

I should send Andy Wood a box of chocolates or something as a thank you for turning me on to them.
740f87cd676348c3dfdadc7b988d3a10.gif

I play BC picks. Have for awhile. They are ok, I guess, I use them on acoustic and mandolin. The only down side for me is I think they have a loud pick click clack noise, and the price. My favorite pick is Clayton.

This pick changed my life :) amazing - go with the heavy version (red) the T4 - choke up on it -absolutely luv them

Using one for over a year, never dropped it and made me a much better player - try one you'll see :)

Last edited:
I like a scratchy sounding pick - first discovered this in a Gravity unpolished pick I recieved with a JHS pedal. Gravity is the only maker I found that does the unpolished thing (maybe others call it something different). Been experimenting with serrating regular run of the mill picks with a utility knife to get this sound. Amazing the difference pick texture makes.

I like a scratchy sounding pick - first discovered this in a Gravity unpolished pick I recieved with a JHS pedal. Gravity is the only maker I found that does the unpolished thing (maybe others call it something different). Been experimenting with serrating regular run of the mill picks with a utility knife to get this sound. Amazing the difference pick texture makes.
Just another example of there really being "no rules." Brian May used a sixpence coin (like the US dime) because he liked the sound the serrated edge gave him. Although I can't imagine those tiny filings did his pickups any good.

Just another example of there really being "no rules." Brian May used a sixpence coin (like the US dime) because he liked the sound the serrated edge gave him. Although I can't imagine those tiny filings did his pickups any good.
Billy Gibbons also used a Mexican Peso coin. I believe it has a serrated edge as well.

I once had a pick made by a guy who works for the people who build those full size dinosaur skeletons, and he used that material to make them. I really liked it, but I lost it and can't remember the name. Anyone have a clue?

Billy Gibbons also used a Mexican Peso coin. I believe it has a serrated edge as well.
Different -- but, like in kind, The Edge uses a nylon pick -- same as EJ, Page and Joe Bonamassa. But The Edge hits the strings with the knurled fingergrip area for the same reason -- a grittier, scratchier sound. He was learning to play, He liked the sound. And no one was there to tell him he was wrong. I think the best part about searching for one's own personal "pick of destiny" is that it makes a person think more precisely about what kind of sound they want to create, how they want to create it, and what kind of pick will best support their efforts to get that sound. And, even those goals may morph over time. Jeff Beck plays with his fingers.

I've been moving there more and more over time... I'm probably using only fingers about 90%+ these days.
After losing my forefinger on my picking hand I switched to playing with my fingers because I could not hold unto a pick at first. Now I'm back at using a pick (fat V-Picks) 90% of the time. On acoustic I finger pick (no nails) 100% of the time because I can't stand the sound of a pick on an acoustic. Just too damn scratchy.

Back
Top Bottom