Blind Test #1: Axe-Fx III vs. Real Amp

I think after just a few pages of this thread a good majority will have been hitting that “ignore” button, if they haven’t done so already.

Can’t fault people for being themselves I suppose, and they are free to post within the guidelines of the forum, but we luckily have the ability to ignore those folks too.

Then it becomes a question of what to do with that extra free time that otherwise would of been wasted on the equivalent of banging one’s head against the wall.

You can’t have a blind critical listeningntest without disclosing the exact pickups, guitar, amp / model the wires used and the size and shape of the room!

Just kidding. I want some attention too!

I need to know how big his muscles are too and the color of his first car otherwise I can’t do a blind test

This has been an interesting thread/pissing match, to say the least. Although I could hear differences between the five clips, I couldn't hear enough difference to differentiate which were the real amp and which were the Axe-Fx. That said, I truly don't understand the fascination some folks here have with having a box that sounds exactly like some other box. What matters to me is: Does it sound good? I think that's what matters to our audiences as well. I've never had someone come up to me after a gig and say "That sounded exactly like a '59 Bassman!" But I've had plenty of people tell me "That sounded great!" And that's all that matters to me. YMMV.

This has been an interesting thread/pissing match, to say the least. Although I could hear differences between the five clips, I couldn't hear enough difference to differentiate which were the real amp and which were the Axe-Fx. That said, I truly don't understand the fascination some folks here have with having a box that sounds exactly like some other box. What matters to me is: Does it sound good? I think that's what matters to our audiences as well. I've never had someone come up to me after a gig and say "That sounded exactly like a '59 Bassman!" But I've had plenty of people tell me "That sounded great!" And that's all that matters to me. YMMV.

I can respect that you don't seem to care about accuracy, however I'd argue it's the pursuit of realism / authenticity that's been the driving force behind the sonic improvements we enjoy from today's top tier modelers.

I can respect that you don't seem to care about accuracy, however I'd argue it's the pursuit of realism / authenticity that's been the driving force behind the sonic improvements we enjoy from today's top tier modelers.

Yeah, I can't disagree with you on that. Had it not been for the quest to sound like the real thing, amp modeling in general wouldn't be where it is today. And I recognize that for some folks that accuracy is the fun part of the chase (no pun intended, Cliff). :) That's why I threw in the "YMMV" at the end of my comment.

Really interesting comparison, thanks Jason. I can tell there's a slight difference between samples (i.e. they're not all the same reamped track), but apart from that couldn't pick which is which.

This got me thinking - I think a good A/B test would be with 4-5 samples of each, with different takes for each sample. Eliminate the "I can hear a slight difference in what should be an otherwise identical track" thing. What matters is whether there is a discernible difference across different takes that can reliably be attributed to either the Axe or the real amp.

Everybody tried to "push" his ears!
Everyone tried to wash their ears!
But!
If only it had been written! - That's what Ax-Fx III says.
Everyone is happy - the Ax-FX III is so good at it.
Everything can be! to look for an error!
But the point is!
Very Super Ax-Fx III.
I am happy to start finding SOUND at the age of 70!
Sorry for english! Google is my interpreter!

Really interesting comparison, thanks Jason. I can tell there's a slight difference between samples (i.e. they're not all the same reamped track), but apart from that couldn't pick which is which.

This got me thinking - I think a good A/B test would be with 4-5 samples of each, with different takes for each sample. Eliminate the "I can hear a slight difference in what should be an otherwise identical track" thing. What matters is whether there is a discernible difference across different takes that can reliably be attributed to either the Axe or the real amp.

In my opinion, an alternate test that would put individuals who claim to have golden ears to the test is to simply offer a single sample and have the participants attempt to guess whether it's modeled or real. Another very challenging test might involve two samples, however both would be of completely different amps and the participants would be asked to identify whether one, both or none are real.

And same to you!! ;)

In all seriousness though, thanks for the post - It was interesting reading and a window into the personalities of many of us (forum contributors). I listened to 1, Then 2, and thought OMG I'm blind in the ears!!

Thanks
Pauly

Fuchs ODS.

Back
Top Bottom