Blind Test #1: Axe-Fx III vs. Real Amp

By my count, of the 10 people that took a clear position, 8 identified a 1-2 vs 3-5 difference, although they were split on which was which. And without taking sides on the pile-on, this was not really a detailed, nuanced sample. This seems to help disprove the "It's easy to tell which one is a modeler" argument, but also help disprove an argument that says "it's hard to differentiate an amp from a modeler." 80% of the respondents did successfully differentiate them...

By my count, of the 10 people that took a clear position, 8 identified a 1-2 vs 3-5 difference, although they were split on which was which. And without taking sides on the pile-on, this was not really a detailed, nuanced sample. This seems to help disprove the "It's easy to tell which one is a modeler" argument, but also help disprove an argument that says "it's hard to differentiate an amp from a modeler." 80% of the respondents did successfully differentiate them...

Well, they could distinguish a difference but you also have to figure that part of the difference is potentially related to the fact that the samples weren't reamped(ie. DI wasn't identical / playing was slightly different). How much that contributed to their choice is an open question.

They were also different takes, so it's not clear that it's the tone that differentiated them.

They were also different takes, so it's not clear that it's the tone that differentiated them.

That is definitely true. For the record, I thought 1&2 were identical clips and could not formulate a single guess on which, if any, were an amp or a modeler...!

Also thanks for posting this Jason - the test and the ensuing discussion were really interesting.

Or maybe people can just hear the load box. I remember my load box having a similar effect to the tone even though it was a really good one.

This is funny, the same people who claim the Model is identical are the ones who sit all day waiting for updates that "Improve" the modeling, i.e bringing it closer... Are you at the 170% identical mark by now...lol
How can you improve on a perfect model...? Whatever. im outta here. Have a great weekend all.
This might be hard for you to wrap your head around, but very few people claimed they were identical, many claimed they are indistinguishable. Those are two very different words to use here.

While I can discern differences between the clips, none of the differences allow me to pick which is the modeler and which is the real amp.

The are definitely not identical, but for the purposes of identification they are indistinguishable.

This might be hard for you to wrap your head around, but very few people claimed they were identical, many claimed they are indistinguishable. Those are two very different words to use here.

While I can discern differences between the clips, none of the differences allow me to pick which is the modeler and which is the real amp.

The are definitely not identical, but for the purposes of identification they are indistinguishable.
Ah you wordsmith, that's a nice clarification.

Shitty "comparison" again, based on one short riff with same cab part You can do the same with real amp free software ampsims and trust Me You cant also recognize what is what. You can hear diff when You start tracking a song, when You start eq reamped tracks etc... Same thing i can do with chinesse mics vs neuman without compression context on signle 9s tracks all of them can sounds almost the same. Check my all comparisons where You can listen one track quadtracked tracks and all in a full mix, then yes it make sense. Now its just another boring "comparison". Just my 2 cents.

Here few my comparisons Real Amps, Kemper profiles, Axe Presets 4 diff amps.

http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/10/12/real-amps-axe-presets-kemper-profiles-comparison/

Peace and love.

Stay Metal!

To me this really shows why the Axe FX is so great. It is better than that amp. I don’t know if that amp has an issue but many times I have bought THE amp thinking I knew what I was getting. There are so many things that go wrong with real tube amps. Parts are substituted and changed so much that you never really know how it will sound. I wish I knew that a long time ago lol.

i also don't see anyone "waiting all day" or saying anything about "make it realer."

I have always found, especially over on TGP, when the poster has no valid or logical comment/arguments on a wide range of Fractal topics being discussed they always exhume the dead horse and beat it with the "more realer" stick.

Late to the party here. Did you reamp the lick for this? Because it sounds like there's a distinct difference in the licks when you drop the first string to open. On 3, 4, 5 it sounds like just an E, and on 1 & 2 it sounds like E/D?

In any case, other than that they sound pretty dang similar to me.

Back
Top Bottom