Bitcrusher (Quantizer/Subsampler)

Do you want a bitcrusher?

• Total voters
chase said:
I'd be a lot more interested in a bitcrusher if I'd ever heard a sound I liked from one.
I'm sure that sort of sound is not for everyone. No problem in not likeing something ;) .

So perhaps all that's needed is some new "lo fi" distortion block types: bit reduction, rate reduction, rate+follow, etc...

VegaBaby said:
chase said:
I'd be a lot more interested in a bitcrusher if I'd ever heard a sound I liked from one.
I'm sure that sort of sound is not for everyone. No problem in not likeing something ;) .

Yeah, I'm not voting against it because I don't want to spoil anyone else's fun, and it doesn't seem like it would be too much of a drag on resources (either CPU or CPT - Cliff Programming Time). Maybe someday I'll come up with a use for it.

Matman said:
So perhaps all that's needed is some new "lo fi" distortion block types: bit reduction, rate reduction, rate+follow, etc...

I'd go with that. I dig bitcrushers but ears only like so much of it. It's not to be overused.

As for the granular synthesis, that would be very cool but only if it can fit in the standard :cry:

Sorry to bump an old thread- this is something I'm hoping is possible as well. The Lo Fi/bit crusher on my old Boss VF-1 is probably the only thing the Axe doesn't do. It's very handy for Nintendo-type sounds/music; it also makes for a great intro sound before switching to a full clean sound.

I imagine a similar type of effect can be achieved with a tracking ring modulator and a drive with an extreme bias setting, but it will never be exactly the same as a true sample rate/bit reducer.

My vote is cast.

Oh yes, I'd love to see some expression-pedal controlled bitcrushing...

Set up the most beautiful pristine tone you can, then morph into/out of 8 bit sounds...

For those of us that grew up playing NES games, this would be so fun...

Cool pedal, now I know what I need to do with my G2 engine ASAP. Liked their revolver pedal as well (glitch/stutter effects). Thanks for the youtube links!

/Mike

my digitech space station has a few different bit crushers in it and an expression control. it is a very interersting effect and has some incredible textural applications. think bjork's vespertine. very beautiful. i would love to see this on the axe fx. that would be fantastic. i even use it on my 12 string acoustic for some things.

miketheman said:
Cool pedal, now I know what I need to do with my G2 engine ASAP. Liked their revolver pedal as well (glitch/stutter effects). Thanks for the youtube links!

/Mike

stop mentioning your G2 engine :!: :evil:

just jealous. ;)

I still have an empty switch on my MIDI controller labeled "Bit Crush" from the bitcrusher effect I used on my last multieffect- I haven't removed it yet in hopes of one being implemented on the Axe :mrgreen:

DonPetersen said:
miketheman said:

/Mike

stop mentioning your G2 engine :!: :evil:

just jealous. ;)

Ok. I will... someday... :roll:

:D

/Mike

Back
Top Bottom