Biggest issues when playing with other musicians?

Lot's of common experiences in this thread :)

For a lot of music genres, there are usually one or two people in the band considered "the talent" and everyone else's role is a backup musician. I believe it makes an act stronger if you buy into this and don't fight against it. Doesn't mean you take someone being a major d!ck, but focusing on making the talent shine is good showmanship and professional attitude.

As a guitarist, you are typically featured sometime during the show but for pop music and rock, the lead vocal is the focus for most of the performance.

It can be harder to be in a supporting role. You typically have to work on keeping good time, learning specific parts and arrangements. I've taught myself over the years to make sure I smile too much and overall always act like I am having a great time on stage even if there are issues or I'm having a bad day personally.

You have to find people with common goals, life styles and age in my experience. After several unsuccessful ventures, I meet my bassist of the past twenty three years. I can't imagine playing with a different bassist at this point.

For a lot of music genres, there are usually one or two people in the band considered "the talent" and everyone else's role is a backup musician. I believe it makes an act stronger if you buy into this and don't fight against it. Doesn't mean you take someone being a major d!ck, but focusing on making the talent shine is good showmanship and professional attitude.
That's tough when certain members are prepared, practiced and ready to go... much like church.. if the drummer is off and doesn't know their stuff, there's nothing the rest can do to mask that.

That's tough when certain members are prepared, practiced and ready to go... much like church.. if the drummer is off and doesn't know their stuff, there's nothing the rest can do to mask that.

very true

I don't play in volunteer groups like that very often. But when I do, I really take a casual attitude and don't get too upset when the talent level in the group is all over the map. It is what it is. If I am going to participate, I'm going in understanding the talent levels are very different.

Lot's of common experiences in this thread :)

I agree with this. Our BL is very strong on keys, so we cover tunes that feature him more. When I finally acclimated to this, I found it much easier to work with him. I get plenty of opportunity to shine too because of my attitude. He can be a real dick, but what he sez is usually correct, just his way of expression can be taken personally if I wear it on my sleeves.

All great information and I can certainly agree with much of what has been said not only by it making absolute sense but by direct observation and involvement. A band is essentially a marriage for lack of a better term. Personalities, talent, work ethic and not to mention the financial ability to purchase the needed equipment is vital to the success of the band. Much respect to anyone who has done it and kept it together for any length of time.

I sometimes actually face a weird stigma for showing up with "fancy" equipment... two RCF wedges and an AX8 or Axe-Fx and MFC, etc. Then we inevitably spend half of the time NOT playing music when everyone wants what adds up to a Fractal commercial, or to hear war stories about my work. It kinda makes me long for the days of being the smallest fish and actually impressing with my playing (as if) -- where I'd lug a Music Man combo and three boss pedals through the Lincoln tunnel to play a show at Kenny's or the Bitter End on a Friday summer night. So the challenge is basically... me. Not to mention the crippling self-criticism that comes from hanging out with Dweezil, Vai, Petrucci, Edge... etc...

I sometimes actually face a weird stigma for showing up with "fancy" equipment... two RCF wedges and an AX8 or Axe-Fx and MFC, etc. Then we inevitably spend half of the time NOT playing music when everyone wants what adds up to a Fractal commercial, or to hear war stories about my work. It kinda makes me long for the days of being the smallest fish and actually impressing with my playing (as if) -- where I'd lug a Music Man combo and three boss pedals through the Lincoln tunnel to play a show at Kenny's or the Bitter End on a Friday summer night. So the challenge is basically... me. Not to mention the crippling self-criticism that comes from hanging out with Dweezil, Vai, Petrucci, Edge... etc...
LOL...... Tough times M@. That's the life of a Super Hero. :smile:

Damn that Mark Day!!!

Back
Top Bottom