beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro headphones - Wow!

Deaj

Experienced
I recently received a set of Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro's (250 ohm) the other day and I have to say I'm really impressed with them! I have several quality headphones from Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and Sony and, of the lot, I think I prefer the 880's for use with my AxeFX II and for casual listening. I haven't yet had an opportunity to use them for a recording project yet (monitoring, mixing) but I look forward to comparing the 880's with the others on my next project.

If you're looking for headphones to use with the AxeFX II the DT-880 Pro's would be an excellent choice.

They are excellent Yek. I have two sets and I use them for mixing and listening to various music for fun as well and they are top notch.

I think they're perfect for the axe. What amp do you all use for just regular music listening? I don't think they get loud enough using just my iPhone.

Got a pair of these for Xmas. Wasn't impressed. Sent them back. I must like it really loud because they were not loud enough for me. At 250 ohms they really need a headphone amp to be loud enough and have tbe speakers driven. Bass was not as strong in the headpbones as it is through my FRFR setup. I might be the odd guy out on these but they weren't for me.

Roger

I just got those as well, in 32 Ohm. I find I need to crank the headphone output volume to ~80% to get enough sound. Is that normal?

My 32 ohm does not need more than at 9 o'clock on the Axe's front level output knob. That's actually way too loud for me already.

My 32 ohm does not need more than at 9 o'clock on the Axe's front level output knob. That's actually way too loud for me already.

Very strange. My Bose quietcomfort 15 are much much louder. I wonder if my DT880 are not 32 Ohm. Even though that's what it says on the package.

250 ohm reduced the volume substantially from my other eargoggles; but regardless - direct in to the A2 - I feel these are probably some of the most neutral and precise headphones out there for the money. I'm not needing them cranked anymore (as I'm not live tracking with a couple of 4x12s doing their thing), so albeit the volume thing was an "adjustment", it's not a minus as to their purpose and function.

I have a pair of DT770s which I absolutely love. DT770 is the closed version, although I believe with the price diff they should put even better drivers in the 880.
Mine are 250ohms, but it's not a problem to me, I never really was the enormously loud type. I can endure maximum volume on my Firewire Audiophile for a while, but I rather not.

I really enjoy the "calmness" for lack of a better description, the frequency range and the detail on those cans. I hear stuff I never heard before in recordings. And the DT880 is supposed to be even better, although not by much, they have a similar character. I tried both and didn't think the difference justified the price.
When I was trying out those cans every time I put the DTs on I had this "Ahhhhhh"-sensation. Where the others were brazen and loud and pummeling my ears, these were restful and detailed without all the shouting. And all the other contenders were in the same price range.

I have both the 770s and the 880s and the 880s are worth saving your money for over the 770s ... the 880s sound like the amp is in the room while the 770s sound like I'm playing through my QSC K12s.

Back
Top Bottom