Wish Better organization of block types (algorithms), factory and user settings thereof

fractalz

Power User
I commented on this a while back:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/1176-style-fet-compressor-cali76-model.147238/#post-1741657

My minor beef is that there is a mix of effect "types" and effect "presets" listed in the "Type" selector. A good example is the Reverb block. To me, "Plate" is a type, and Small, Medium, Large, Bright, Dull, etc. are just different settings ("presets") for the same underlying algorithm ("type").

Compare to how a device like the Bricasti M7 organizes it's types / presets:

https://www.bricasti.com/images/preset_sheet.pdf

The situation is further compounded by the fact that I can store settings for my blocks in an entirely different scheme known as the block library.

What I'd really like is for my "Spinning Plate" reverb to show up under:

Reverb -> Plate -> Small, Large, ... , (U) Spinning Plate

Where the "(U)" is some sort of indicator that it's a user-preset and not a factory one...

+1

Many times, have I wanted a clear indication of what types use the same algorithm and are just a bunch of different settings, rather than a totally different algorithm.

As far as I know, all of the Fractal Reverb types use the same algorithm, which is a very comprehensive selection of everything a Reverb could possibly do.

As far as I know, all of the Fractal Reverb types use the same algorithm, which is a very comprehensive selection of everything a Reverb could possibly do.
IIUC the OP: it's not about the internal algorithm, it's about what parameters the user can set, vs what is only achievable by choosing a certain "type".

The difference is easier to see in the multi-delay block: It would be great if we had the few (5..6, IIRC) types of algorithms/networks (eg quad-series vs quad-parallel etc) on a level separate from the "preset-like types" (that "only" amount to setting the parameters correctly in, eg, the quad-parallel algorithm).

I don't think that the thread title reflects what's being wished for. The wish regards effect types, not presets. The term "preset" is reserved for, uhh, presets.

Personally I don't care whether an effect type is a set of different parameter values or a different algorithm. Seeing all effect types at one glance instead of submenus has its charm too.

Seeing all effect types at one glance instead of submenus has its charm too.
Having a structured list could provide more order without sub-menus:
  • type 1
    • settings 1
    • settings 2
  • type 2
    • settings 1
    • settings 2
And either the type items are selectable themselves, for the "generic" choice, or each type has "general" as a settings entry.

In short: I think this is more about the information being obvious, not about a particular UI.

I don't think that the thread title reflects what's being wished for. The wish regards effect types, not presets. The term "preset" is reserved for, uhh, presets.

Personally I don't care whether an effect type is a set of different parameter values or a different algorithm. Seeing all effect types at one glance instead of submenus has its charm too.
Agree "preset" is overloaded here. Block settings versus grid/layout presets. Hopefully my point is coming through.

The Creator dodged the issue in the Blocks Library as they are just "blocks".

I'd like to see "algorithms" separately (and ideally as parents of) "saved parameter values" for said algorithm. Maybe "incarnation" or "realized instance" would be good? Maybe "isa" or "recall" or "settings"? Don't really care about the name. "I like it that way"?

Having a structured list could provide more order without sub-menus:
  • type 1
    • settings 1
    • settings 2
  • type 2
    • settings 1
    • settings 2
And either the type items are selectable themselves, for the "generic" choice, or each type has "general" as a settings entry.

In short: I think this is more about the information being obvious, not about a particular UI.
I'm thinking a "default" entry...

+1

I noticed that if you set all the parameters for cloud verbs the same, they are identical. Meaning there is one cloud algorithm.
I'd prefer to have a smaller list of core algorithms / types. Presets are great for some people, but I tend to delete all factory presets and create my own.

Also noticed someone saying that there are 7 types of Dynamic Distortion block, which was just sad really.

May as well start adding "types" to EQ.

OK, I have to bring this up again :(

Just uploaded firmware 21. Awesome!

Went in to look at this new "Halo" / "Aurora" delay. Sure, there is one, but it's just one static setting in the Multidelay block. I want that algorithm as a type of Multidelay, with purpose-built parameters to modify it. Instead, we have something like a "Multidelay designer" block where some of the parameters are used to build different algorithms, and some are used to tweak it. Powerful, but once I build an algorithm, I'd like to be able to store it it multiple configurations.

OK, I just went and looked through all the screens in Axe Edit III and found the set of algorithms (the ones sharing the same screens). Of course, I then looked at the manual and it had already done the work for me:

The following are the “core” types which represent different algorithm. The following are the classic “core algorithm” types of the MTD:
  • Quad-Tap Delay – offers four independent delay taps with many extras. A truly creative delay environment.
  • Quad Parallel Delay – extensive delay options with built in ring mod, diffuser, bandpass filter, and comb filter.
  • Quad-Series Delay – uses a very cool and unique feedback structure, comb filter, and ring modulation.
  • Quad Diffusor – creates a plex of compound feedback, offering the ability to add density or even create reverbs.
  • Quad Tape Delay – uses our proprietary tape delay model with four taps for “space echo” effects.
  • Quad Tap Band Delay – Identical to the Quad Tap delay, except the Bandpass filters are outside the FB loop.

Splendid! So, why doesn't the UI reflect this? It could say:

Code:
Quad-Tap Delay:            // some of these might be Tap-Band Delay?
    Aerosol
    Circular Delays
    PCM Circular
    PCM Pan
    Quad Tap Delay
    Ya Ya Delay

Quad Parallel Delay:    // Quad-xxx or Quad xxx???
    A.H. Clean Long
    A.H. Clean Short
    A.H. Lead Long
    A.H. Lead Short
    A.H. Swell Long
    A.H. Swell Short
    Aurora Delay
    MD Chorus
    Quad Chorus
    Quad Parallel Delay
    Shadows Taps
    Stereo Shadows

Quad-Series Delay:
    Comb Filter Delay
    L-C-R-C
    Pealing Bells
    Quad Series Delay
    Rhythmic Bands
    Swing Ping

Quad Diffusor:
    Mono Diffuser  // is it Diffuser or Diffusor?
    Quad Diffusor

Quad Tape Delay:
    Ambient Quad Tape
    Ambient Tape Delay
    Dub Echo
    Quad Tape Delay
    Space Tape

Quad Tap Band Delay:
    Filtered Mod Band Delay
    Quad Tap Band Delay

The list of "A.H. ..." delay "types" is a pretty good clue that the UI isn't quite right...

Back
Top Bottom