Implemented 1176-Style FET Compressor (Cali76) Model

OmegaZero

Inspired
It would be great to have a compressor type modeled after the Origin Effects Cali76. I can get close to a few specific sounds with some of the existing models, but they don't have the same feel and the interaction between controls is quite different. The Cali76 has an equally strong following among guitarists and bassists, so I'm sure many folks could make use of it. It's been mentioned in a few other threads; it's even become something of a favorite on That Pedal Show. We already have the side chain ability, so getting the HPF behavior from the bass-specific version is totally doable. Now we just need the rest of the pedal...

Thanks.

Last edited:
It would be great to have a compressor type modeled after the Origin Effects Cali76. I can get close to a few specific sounds with some of the existing models, but they don't have the same feel and the interaction between controls is quite different. The Cali76 has an equally strong following among guitarists and bassists, so I'm sure many folks could make use of it. It's been mentioned in a few other threads; it's even become something of a favorite on That Pedal Show. We already have the side chain ability, so getting the HPF behavior from the bass-specific version is totally doable. Now we just need the rest of the pedal...

Thanks.
If you can provide a schematic I can model it.

Is a great sounding compressor, likewise their Slide Rig, parallel compression pedal was really stellar sounding. Very apparent effect, but also very musical.

Not a transparent always on style pedal, but a great overall tone sweetener.

I’d look forward to a model

+ 1 for an 1176 style comp. The link below is a service manual with various schematics for the different revisions at the end.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/vintage jbl-urei electronics/urei-1176lnmanual.pdf
Not presuming to tell Cliff how to do this, but perhaps this is a better approach. After all, the Cali76 is a [very successful] attempt to make a classic 1176 unit into a pedal format. Given how exceptional Fractal is at things like this, perhaps starting with the original would yield better results.

It would still be great if Cliff could use the Cali76 as a comparison or watermark for the model. Their pedals are absolutely incredible. I'll reiterate my offer to send one if it'll help this happen in any way.

Last edited:
Is a great sounding compressor, likewise their Slide Rig, parallel compression pedal was really stellar sounding. Very apparent effect, but also very musical.

Not a transparent always on style pedal, but a great overall tone sweetener.

I’d look forward to a model
Agreed. I think the thing that makes the Cali76 so successful is the dry (i.e. blend/mix) control. And yeah, having two 1176 instances is absolutely unbeatable for slide. Just ask Lowell George.

Last edited:
Also worth repeating - the Cali76 is in loads of bass rigs too. I'd bet this will be as highly lauded as the addition of the Darkglass was by the Fractal bass community. As much as I love the Cali76 on guitar, I just can't play bass without it anymore.

Last edited:
If not a Slide Rig, having Cliff explain how to setup a cascading style compressor using existing blocks would be really cool.

Loved the sustain the pedal provided, but didn’t love it enough to want to spend $300 for it lol

1176, Distressor, DBX 160 are a few compressors that could be added to the to do list. I'm not talking about the attack and release characteristics only but the coloration, EQ and saturation they add too. IMO, it's a large part of the sound. Also the LA610 channel strip (for bass especially) has been one of my go tos. Just a few ideas to ponder on.

1176, Distressor, DBX 160 are a few compressors that could be added to the to do list. I'm not talking about the attack and release characteristics only but the coloration, EQ and saturation they add too. IMO, it's a large part of the sound. Also the LA610 channel strip (for bass especially) has been one of my go tos. Just a few ideas to ponder on.

The EL foil setting in the opto comp is a distressor model. Agree that a 610 channel strip model for bass would be lovely.

The EL foil setting in the opto comp is a distressor model. Agree that a 610 channel strip model for bass would be lovely.

This is one of the "problems" with the Axe is that there are different types of effects hidden within the blocks. Some effects, like Reverb, have different "types" that are really just settings (e.g., the Small/Medium/Large versions of various types) and then there are the core "types".

This is something that, IMHO, could and should be addressed. The infrastructure is there with the ability to have saved blocks, and some folks have created packages of these. But, I think @FractalAudio should really be supplying a set of pre-set blocks just like the pre-set layouts. You can mine some of the presets to pull out the effects they include, but these should be blocks.

In this case, you'd be able to select an "Anguisher" block preset (or whatever fictitious name was used for Distressor) that would dial in the right settings. The Opto could probably also serve as an LA-2A, ELOP, and others. UAD gives you the various LA-2A revisions, again these could be block presets.

UA is getting more into amp sim territory all the time. ( Decent , but certainly not on par with FAS ) It’d be great to see Fractal grab some UA stuff , as mentioned above. That would be soooo cool.

Back
Top Bottom