Beta testers needed: iPad controller for the Axe-FX

Except the wireless option needs a PC as well.

OP: If you decide to support Android, please let me know. I'm BEGGING for an option on Android.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I guess the problem with Android is that there are no ways to connect external midi adapter to it.

I think...

On iPad, if you had one of these to bridge the physical midi connection to the AxeFX and Wifi to the iPad
The Missing Link : Jabrudian Industries LLC

and a copy of TouchOSC running on your iPad
h e x l e r . n e t | TouchOSC

You could build you own touch based midi interface running on the iPad to control the AxeFX without the need for a computer.

Never tried it, but think it would work. Maybe someone here has tried the Missing Link hardware.

I think...

On iPad, if you had one of these to bridge the physical midi connection to the AxeFX and Wifi to the iPad
The Missing Link : Jabrudian Industries LLC

and a copy of TouchOSC running on your iPad
h e x l e r . n e t | TouchOSC

You could build you own touch based midi interface running on the iPad to control the AxeFX without the need for a computer.

Never tried it, but think it would work. Maybe someone here has tried the Missing Link hardware.

This Missing Link seems interesting. But do you need to be connected to the internet to use it?
Or this box creeates a network by itself and your ipad sees it as an available network to join?

I have Ipad II with CC kit and midi interface. Would love to beta this.

For those with Ipad, but no midi, you're only about $37 away if you want to be. With the CC kit ($29) and the cheap all-in-one usb midi cable interface off Ebay or Amazon(maybe $7 shipped), you're there.

For those wanting to do wireless with computer, you could just run Axe Edit on your Ipad using your Ipad as an external display. It's a little fiddly with all the knobs and screen size, but it works.

Last edited:
This Missing Link seems interesting. But do you need to be connected to the internet to use it?
Or this box creeates a network by itself and your ipad sees it as an available network to join?

To the best of my knowledge, it creates a local wifi network that does NOT require an additional computer and no internet connection.

I have the Line 6 MIDI interface for the Ipad - I could test this (would love to test it). I hooked up the Axe to the iPad through S1MidiTrigger and have used it with that in the past.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I guess the problem with Android is that there are no ways to connect external midi adapter to it.

No, I can connect a USB MIDI adapter to it via a similar connector to the iOS camera connection kit, but it's a USB host adapter. Or on my Transformer, the dock has 2 USB ports with host capability.

Sign me up.
Currently using the iRig midi inferface, so ready to go with iPad II and Fractal II.

BTW I'm using Fractal II not only just for guitar but also on the iPad Pocket Organ B3 clone. I'm running the iPad B3 Organ via my midi controller keyboard and the iRig Midi, then output of the iPad through my Fractal II rear analog inputs. Built a dual-path tube amp using Bassmans and cabs, which takes the iPad Organ B3 from not bad to great.
The tube amp response characteristics of real Hammond organs and Leslie speakers are a large part of the dynamics of a B3's keyclick and percussion 'feel', and of course the Fractal provides that tube amp response so nicely... makes the worlds' lightest B3 clone a live gigging contender! Love it.
So I'd love to try it. Let me know how.
Lou

BTW I'm using Fractal II not only just for guitar but also on the iPad Pocket Organ B3 clone. I'm running the iPad B3 Organ via my midi controller keyboard and the iRig Midi, then output of the iPad through my Fractal II rear analog inputs. Built a dual-path tube amp using Bassmans and cabs, which takes the iPad Organ B3 from not bad to great.
The tube amp response characteristics of real Hammond organs and Leslie speakers are a large part of the dynamics of a B3's keyclick and percussion 'feel', and of course the Fractal provides that tube amp response so nicely... makes the worlds' lightest B3 clone a live gigging contender! Love it.
So I'd love to try it. Let me know how.
Lou

Wait, so you have Ipad hooked up to your midi keyboard controller, using Ipad app as source, and then run the audio cable out to axe input to run through presets....that is badass.....i wonder if this would work with the Camera kit, my keyboard is usb, not midi.......hmmmmm

Hi all,

Apologies if this in the wrong area, but I need a couple of Axe-FX II users to assist me with testing an iPad app that I have written to manage the Axe-FX in a gig type situation.

I really designed this software to enable tweaking of broad parameters whilst 'in situ' at a gig. It is NOT a deep editor like Axe-FX, but hopefully it will be a useful tool in the field.

I have tested it with my Ultra, but would welcome anyone with a II to test it out as the SYSEX messages are slightly different on the II and I cannot test it without a real device.

Some screenshots:

6787564643_cbc461c071_z.jpg

6787566677_206ed64800_z.jpg

6787569463_e57579fda2_z.jpg

6787570685_6a9f503c78_z.jpg

6787569867_9c0833369b_z.jpg

As you can see, I've designed it to load presets from the Axe-FX, and display all parameters in real time. Adjustments made to the controls are reflected on the unit in real time too. You can even tune you guitar using the on board Axe-FX tuner! LOL

You will need to have an iPad (of course!) Gen1 or Gen2 is fine. An Axe-FX (II preferred but Ultra/Standard users welcome) and also you will need a MIDI connector for your iPad. The iPhone/iPad camera connector kit + USB MIDI cable, or the iRig MIDI dongle works great. Unfortunately, the Alesis IO Dock won't work as for some inexplicable reason, it doesn't support SYSEX messages.

All testing will be done via the testflightapp.com website. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in Beta testing, and I will send you an invite. You just need to register your iPad on the testflightapp website and install their app, then you can download and play with the beta software.

Thanks!

Devan

So I guess the Alesis Guitar Dock won't work ? AmpDock Multi-Effects Guitar Processor for iPad

I have an iPad 2, will have an axe fx 2 this week and have an alesis iPad dock with midi, would gladly test :)

Wait, so you have Ipad hooked up to your midi keyboard controller, using Ipad app as source, and then run the audio cable out to axe input to run through presets....that is badass.....i wonder if this would work with the Camera kit, my keyboard is usb, not midi.......hmmmmm

Yep, with CC kit you can hook a USB keyboard into Ipad and most apps will respond. The trick is power. Ipad usb has very little power and if your keyboard is USB powered and requires too much power, it won't work. A couple of workarounds are a) using a powered hub as an intermediary and plugging the hub into the Ipad and the keyboard into the hub and b) I have a little solar powered rechargeable usb hub I got off Ebay for maybe $12 that will power some keyboards that the Ipad won't. The b) solution keeps the whole thing portable, but the a) solution is one I'd use at a gig where everything needed to be utterly reliable.

Wow! OP back here again (it's morning in Australia now) :)

I have literally been BOMBARDED with PM's both on here and TGP. Thank you everyone for your interest. I will try and respond to all PM's and pick out half a dozen or so testers from the pile.

It would be really helpful if you could let me know which type of MIDI connector you have got when you PM me. I'd really like to test on a wide range of connectors for best results - ESPECIALLY if you have any of those wireless MIDI devices! :D

Apologies to anyone who has the Alesis IO Dock though (I have one of them!) - it currently won't work, but it certainly looks like good news above regarding the implementation of SYSEX into the device. Hopefully it will retrofit into their earlier IO Dock - if so, it will become a permanent fixture on my work desk!

Thank you too for those who have given some feedback just from the screenshots I posted - I appreciate it.

I am happy to answer any questions or take any suggestions that you may have...

I'd also think that in the effects section the "type " parameter in not neccesary. I doubt anyone would like to change the type of the drive or delay in the live setting, since it would require adjusting more parameters IMHO. For example drive pedal types have different output levels so it would not work that easy again considering this App is for live use. This space could be used for something else.

Also can you switch these effect pedals on /off?

Wow! OP back here again (it's morning in Australia now) :)

I have literally been BOMBARDED with PM's both on here and TGP. Thank you everyone for your interest. I will try and respond to all PM's and pick out half a dozen or so testers from the pile.

It would be really helpful if you could let me know which type of MIDI connector you have got when you PM me. I'd really like to test on a wide range of connectors for best results - ESPECIALLY if you have any of those wireless MIDI devices! :D

Apologies to anyone who has the Alesis IO Dock though (I have one of them!) - it currently won't work, but it certainly looks like good news above regarding the implementation of SYSEX into the device. Hopefully it will retrofit into their earlier IO Dock - if so, it will become a permanent fixture on my work desk!

Thank you too for those who have given some feedback just from the screenshots I posted - I appreciate it.

I am happy to answer any questions or take any suggestions that you may have...

I'd also think that in the effects section the "type " parameter in not neccesary. I doubt anyone would like to change the type of the drive or delay in the live setting, since it would require adjusting more parameters IMHO. For example drive pedal types have different output levels so it would not work that easy again considering this App is for live use. This space could be used for something else.

Also can you switch these effect pedals on /off?

Good point! One of the things I am really looking for during the testing process is WHICH 'knobs' people would want on the effects boxes etc. I am trying to go by my playing experience, but also trying to keep it as simple as possible. The drive 'Type' was one thing that I really deliberated about whether to include or not. You are probably right in that this control results in TOO much tonal difference in the chain and is better left to tweaking in Axe-Edit in a controlled environment rather than at a live gig...

Oh, and yes, there was no space for a switch graphic, but you can tap the 'light' at the top of each pedal to turn them on/off! Not very intuitive I know, but I knew that would be an important function to have, and was actually the impetus for me designing this software in the first place - I found it to be too many button presses to try and turn effects on/off via the Axe-FX control panel! :)

THANK YOU again everyone for your PM's and expressions of interest in becoming a Beta tester for my software (unofficially dubbed 'AxePad'). I've received LOTS of requests and have narrowed down to applicants with a nice mix of gear to do some testing for me, so at this stage, I am not taking any more applicants for testing UNLESS you have one of those cool standalone wireless MIDI devices and can be used as an interface between the iPad at the Axe-FX.

I have been blown away by the messages of support and encouragements about this project, and it really makes the 200 odd hours I have put into this seem worthwhile! :D. You guys and gals ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom