Beta testers needed: iPad controller for the Axe-FX

CyberFerret

Power User
Hi all,

Apologies if this in the wrong area, but I need a couple of Axe-FX II users to assist me with testing an iPad app that I have written to manage the Axe-FX in a gig type situation.

I really designed this software to enable tweaking of broad parameters whilst 'in situ' at a gig. It is NOT a deep editor like Axe-FX, but hopefully it will be a useful tool in the field.

I have tested it with my Ultra, but would welcome anyone with a II to test it out as the SYSEX messages are slightly different on the II and I cannot test it without a real device.

Some screenshots:

6787564643_cbc461c071_z.jpg

6787566677_206ed64800_z.jpg

6787569463_e57579fda2_z.jpg

6787570685_6a9f503c78_z.jpg

6787569867_9c0833369b_z.jpg

As you can see, I've designed it to load presets from the Axe-FX, and display all parameters in real time. Adjustments made to the controls are reflected on the unit in real time too. You can even tune you guitar using the on board Axe-FX tuner! LOL

You will need to have an iPad (of course!) Gen1 or Gen2 is fine. An Axe-FX (II preferred but Ultra/Standard users welcome) and also you will need a MIDI connector for your iPad. The iPhone/iPad camera connector kit + USB MIDI cable, or the iRig MIDI dongle works great. Unfortunately, the Alesis IO Dock won't work as for some inexplicable reason, it doesn't support SYSEX messages.

All testing will be done via the testflightapp.com website. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in Beta testing, and I will send you an invite. You just need to register your iPad on the testflightapp website and install their app, then you can download and play with the beta software.

Thanks!

Devan

EDIT: THANK YOU again everyone for your PM's and expressions of interest in becoming a Beta tester for my software (unofficially dubbed 'AxePad'). I've received LOTS of requests and have narrowed down to applicants with a nice mix of gear to do some testing for me, so at this stage, I am not taking any more applicants for testing UNLESS you have one of those cool standalone wireless MIDI devices and can be used as an interface between the iPad at the Axe-FX.

I have been blown away by the messages of support and encouragements about this project, and it really makes the 200 odd hours I have put into this seem worthwhile! . You guys and gals ROCK!

Last edited:
I don't have a midi connector for mine, but I'll pick one up to try this out, can't do it today, probably tomorrow. I'll pm you

I have an IPAD 2 and I have some familiarity with the different Apps for Core Midi, So I would love to Beta this for you. just P.M. me.

Will it run on wireless midi connected to a computer through USB to the Axe? If yes, I'll test it for you. PM me.

CyberFerret said:
Hi all,

Apologies if this in the wrong area, but I need a couple of Axe-FX II users to assist me with testing an iPad app that I have written to manage the Axe-FX in a gig type situation.

I really designed this software to enable tweaking of broad parameters whilst 'in situ' at a gig. It is NOT a deep editor like Axe-FX, but hopefully it will be a useful tool in the field.

I have tested it with my Ultra, but would welcome anyone with a II to test it out as the SYSEX messages are slightly different on the II and I cannot test it without a real device.

Some screenshots:

As you can see, I've designed it to load presets from the Axe-FX, and display all parameters in real time. Adjustments made to the controls are reflected on the unit in real time too. You can even tune you guitar using the on board Axe-FX tuner! LOL

You will need to have an iPad (of course!) Gen1 or Gen2 is fine. An Axe-FX (II preferred but Ultra/Standard users welcome) and also you will need a MIDI connector for your iPad. The iPhone/iPad camera connector kit + USB MIDI cable, or the iRig MIDI dongle works great. Unfortunately, the Alesis IO Dock won't work as for some inexplicable reason, it doesn't support SYSEX messages.

All testing will be done via the testflightapp.com website. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in Beta testing, and I will send you an invite. You just need to register your iPad on the testflightapp website and install their app, then you can download and play with the beta software.

Thanks!

Devan

I have 2 ipads and a line6 midimobilizer. I also have an Ultra and a II. PM me details.

Hey looks really cool ! I can test it.
I have AXE II, iPad 2 and iRig midi adapter.

Edit:
My first suggestion looking at screenshots would be to make this tuner window a bit bigger if possible. It would make it easier to read.

Last edited:
no ipad here, but on first glance, i have to say it looks terrific. if i were to make a suggestion - the big white knobs on the amp page would look better to me if they were chickenheads and the black knobs need a white marker on them, rather than red (just for visibilitys' sake). otherwise, this looks like a real winner!

Back
Top Bottom