Best ways to get equal volume levels

msmith886

Inspired
So I know about the VU meter and all that but I am trying to figure a good way to get an equal volume level on my patches.

Is there a limiter or anything ?

Any suggestions would really help. Very frustrating to have drastic volume changes and levels

So you're saying the VU meter isn't working for you?

This is what I use and it is pretty good. Of course depending on the overall EQ of the patches you may have to tweak slightly as some patches may cut through the mix better than others and thus appear louder.

I basically build all my batches so they sit around the 0dB mark for the base tone. That way I know I have enough headroom for kicking in drives and boosts etc.

I am trying to figure a good way to get an equal volume level on my patches.

To get an equal volume level on all your patches...

...set the levels on all your patches. With the VU meter but mostly with your ears. There's no get-out-of-jail-free card here. Actually there's one little magic trick - you can access the Amp Block Level from the VU screen with much finer control than the top panel, so you can scroll through patches and make adjustments right from that screen.

There's no global limiter. A heavy outboard compressor could be set to remove all dynamics, at the cost of all dynamics.

In my experience patch volumes need to be set / tweaked at band volume levels. I have a Boss FS-7 which controls volume increment / decrement to tweak patch levels on the fly during band practice.

This is the best you can do at home

A limiter wouldn't help you at all. It would just ensure the peaks are at the same level, but that has nothing to do with loudness.

and in my experience, patches shouldn't all be at the same level. clean, dirty rhythm and lead should each have their own levels. i set all my dirty rhythm patches 4db louder than my cleans and my leads 4db louder than my rhythm patches. i use the waves level meter (average rms) to do it and then tweak on the fly using two buttons assigned to cc#35 and cc#36 (although it's not usually necessary)

Reactions: Cem
Back
Top Bottom