Best Way to BOOST Volume For Solos

Yes, as will any boost.

The fastest way of fixing multiple presets clipping is to go into the Global Out and reduce the Main level there.

Yep

Of course, keep chasing one's tail to put sticking plasters on it kinda gets frustrating (well, for those with middy acute OCD it does anyway!
laughing.gif
) and the best approach is to ascertain where you want to end up and work back from there... but the trouble is, it's not easy to know what that end point is at the start
unsure.gif

That's where trial, error, time and experience come in
thumbsup.gif

Does this affect the dreaded RED clip light of doom! I spend more time going through every part of my chain to balance and turn levels down, adjust input/output settings etc... it's crazy! I'm sure this would all be a lot easier if I was an Axe FX genius like some guys but sadly I'm not.

check out my video discussing boosts. with any digital device, you need to leave headroom for boosts, therefore your rhythm tones need to have less volume:

Creating a Volume Boost with the Axe-FX II and MFC-101 | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

I do which we also had some global option to boost Output 1 volume temporarily as I describe above, but that probably belongs in the "wish list" section. :)

cool wish, but that might just push a mixer or whatever you're using after the axe to clip instead. again, it's just a digital device sorta thing, which is basically how almost everything works these days including the mixers and other outboard gear available.

At last, three page in and we eventually get a reply that doesn't focus on the technology. The first question to ask is "what type of solo sound do you want". Very few solos call for rhythm sound with a bit more volume. If you turn your guitar volume up you get more overdrive/distortion and a change of tone. If you turn an amp up you've got a choice of input volume or master volume, each of which changes the sound. Even if you just want to cut through the mix then you might be better going for a mid boost than a flat EQ volume increase. [\rant mode]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At last, three page in and we eventually get a reply that doesn't focus on the technology. The first question to ask is "what type of solo sound do you want". Very few solos call for rhythm sound with a bit more volume. If you turn your guitar volume up you get more overdrive/distortion and a change of tone. If you turn an amp up you've got a choice of input volume or master volume, each of which changes the sound. Even if you just want to cut through the mix then you might be better going for a mid boost than a flat EQ volume increase. [\rant mode]

I hear what you are saying, but I really just want to make the existing sound ending OUTPUT louder, as a volume pedal would go placed at the end of the chain, but only with a switch. :)

Yep

Of course, keep chasing one's tail to put sticking plasters on it kinda gets frustrating (well, for those with middy acute OCD it does anyway!
laughing.gif
) and the best approach is to ascertain where you want to end up and work back from there... but the trouble is, it's not easy to know what that end point is at the start
unsure.gif

That's where trial, error, time and experience come in
thumbsup.gif

Nah, when gain staging, leave your boosts on. Then you are only cutting when you bypass and won't clip.

I've always used null filter block per preset, but I bet Cliff could code this global boost feature in less time than it takes to read this thread. I'd use it!

You know that and I know that... but many don't until they've built a ton of presets and then decide at a later date that they want to boost...

go through the presets one by one and reduce the amp block Level parameter by, for example, 5 db. then add a filter boost for +5 db. done!

I've always used null filter block per preset, but I bet Cliff could code this global boost feature in less time than it takes to read this thread. I'd use it!

it would still have to reduce your non-boosted volume. you can't create more digital headroom. 0 is 0.

For me, I try to develop a workflow and repeat it.

As everyone knows, there are many ways to skin the Fractal cat :)

So as long as I use my familiar preset layouts, gain staging, etc. is not that bad. It's just repetition.

I personally like to work backwards like Chris said and develop my full bore scene first and then back off the other scenes as needed.

But, I've learned how to gain stage too, so with that knowledge when I'm laying out the grid I am making choices that help me. I'm not flying blind.

go through the presets one by one and reduce the amp block Level parameter by, for example, 5 db. then add a filter boost for +5 db. done!

it would still have to reduce your non-boosted volume. you can't create more digital headroom. 0 is 0.

I don't understand why you can't just reduced the global output volume?

I don't understand why you can't just reduced the global output volume?

sure you can do that. but then that control is compromised if you really need it later.

the best thing to do is make the changes on the preset level.

sure you can do that. but then that control is compromised if you really need it later.

the best thing to do is make the changes on the preset level.

I'm not understanding what the difference is between lowering all of you presets levels versus lowering your output level to accommodate boost.

Does anyone know how to reverse Matman's global boost trick? When I go to remove the cc from the IA That I'm using, I lose all output volume.

Jarrod Glasby

Last edited:
basic example how i accomplish the solo boost; scene 1 rhythm (basic setting), scene 2 solo (added drive, delay and level). if i need more or less than that (cause it's always a little different), i use my volume pedal.

I use one of the ones listed by Admin above:

I set up a "SOLO" scene for each of my patches. The solo scene has the patch set up for solos (i.e. delay, more gain) including an output volume boost (set in the output section). I like doing it this way because it does not use up a block just for a boost and it does not require me to change any block settings (just output settings). I also have a single switch controlling amp boost OR amp saturation (whichever I like best for the amp being used) - I can use this switch instead of / or in addition to, the output boost. There's reams of ways to do this in the AxeFx.

Back
Top Bottom