Best Way to BOOST Volume For Solos

Tones2

Experienced
I'd love to be able to click a control button toggle on an external controller and have the output volume BOOSTED when soloing, as I have been able to do with other multi-effects / amps. Most multieffect units are usually pedals in and of themselves and have a dedicated boost switch that you can program for amount of boost and sometimes some EQ. I DON'T want to do this with a continuous controller (i.e. volume pedal) and I also would like to have this be an on / off toggle. Furthermore, it would be nice if I could do this GLOBALLY rather than having to insert a block in every presets. I also independently want to be able to control Output 1 volume with a volume pedal.

What's the best way of doing this in Axe FX? I don't see any global boost function that can be turned on / off by a CC#. I know there are "gain boosts" in the drive black that I can maybe stick at the end of every block chain and switch on and off with a CC#, but I really don't want so much a "drive" type boost - just an output volume boost. Plus it's a MAJOR hassle to have to stick a drive block at the end of every preset chain individually (even if it's a global block).

Any ideas here? Certainly someone most have tried to do this basic boost switching, I would assume.

Tony

I put a multi E.Q. Block with an added 3 db boost at the very end of the signal chain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

Check out the last option described in here (Matman's Boost Trick):

Preset level - Axe-Fx II Wiki

This is what that says: "Create a global "Boost" switch without having to modify each preset (source: Matman) as follows. Set the CC of an IA switch on the floor controller to OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). If you're using Output 2 as well, don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1."

Wouldn't this just hard code a output volume level rather than make it relative to the current volume level? For instance, if you also have a volume pedal controlling output volume 1 and it was toe down (i.e. 127), I assume switching this ON would have no effect. Visa versa, if your volume was at 50 and you switched on, it would go to 127 and switch off would return you to 111 instead of 50. Am I missing something here?

Tony

Yes, a toggle and pedal control of the same CC# don't really work together nicely.

If using Out 1 Volume for something I'd choose the boost toggle. Then assign pedal to a volume block before delay/reverb. The boost won't be quite as distracting as having a pedal muting effects completely if doing swells.

It seems that there should be away to have an external programmable toggle switch (using something like liquid foot) to add or subtract a set volume amount to EXISTING output volume. Is this something that can be programmed externally? I know there is a volume up and down CC# but I'm not sure how this would be attached to Output 1 volume nor how it would be toggled in an external controller. Ideas?

The problem is the single global output volume control. I don't know if any footcontrollers can deal with that, where a switch would have to change the pedal range and send out the proper new value for its current position.

The only other option is to create some way to adjust volume in each preset, like a volume block. Copy/paste in Axe-Edit can speed up the process. Or if you're consistent in how you build your presets (combining to a specific row before end of grid) another possibility is sending sysex messages that toggle between 2 levels for that row in the layout mixer.

I prefer mine to be individual. I just put a volume block at the end of all my presets. I find that depending on the preset and what the rest of the band is doing, I may need more or less boost. I can the adjust the preset as needed.

I do it per preset as well. However, I put an eq in front of the amp to boost mids (@800 hz) and then use the scene output to boost level by 2.4-2.8 db. It's one of the coolest features of scenes to be able to adjust volume per scene.

The Axe FX documentation (page 186) says that by default, CC#35 & CC#36 increments and decrements VOLUME.

What does this mean? What "volume" is that? Is this the preset output volume? If so, can't that be changed with a value to increment / decrement BY via programmer external controller switch without having to insert a volume or EQ block in each preset?

Tony

The Axe FX documentation (page 186) says that by default, CC#35 & CC#36 increments and decrements VOLUME.

What does this mean? What "volume" is that? Is this the preset output volume? If so, can't that be changed with a value to increment / decrement BY via programmer external controller switch without having to insert a volume or EQ block in each preset?

Tony

That's the preset volume = Layout > Out > Main.
Vol Inc and Vol Dec increases/decrease the MAIN value.

That's the preset volume = Layout > Out > Main.
Vol Inc and Vol Dec increases/decrease the MAIN value.

Exactly. So would a value of say "5" sent via CC#35 increase the main preset volume by 5 db? So it the preset main volume value was 1 it would be 6 after that? Then the toggle switch would send a CC#36 value of #5" that would put it back to 1? Or do they only increment by 1 each press (i.e. no "value" can be sent)?

I'm trying to avoid having to go through and stick a volume block at the end of every preset change.

See manual page 143:
These two options provide a convenient way to permanently increase or decrease the MAIN volume (OUTPUT 1) of the currently loaded preset. Each time VOL INCR is triggered by a CC# value greater than 63, the MAIN is increased by 1.0 dB and the preset is saved. VOLUME DECR, works the same way, decreasing volume. NOTE: The MAIN fader is located on the OUT page of the Layout menu.
IMPORTANT! Any other unsaved changes such as altered effect parameters or bypass states will also be stored if either VOLUME INCR or VOLUME DECR is triggered.

I do it per preset as well. However, I put an eq in front of the amp to boost mids (@800 hz) and then use the scene output to boost level by 2.4-2.8 db. It's one of the coolest features of scenes to be able to adjust volume per scene.
I use the output slider as well except I cut the all the rhythm scenes by 3 dbs. This preserves headroom and prevents clipping the output.

See manual page 143:
These two options provide a convenient way to permanently increase or decrease the MAIN volume (OUTPUT 1) of the currently loaded preset. Each time VOL INCR is triggered by a CC# value greater than 63, the MAIN is increased by 1.0 dB and the preset is saved. VOLUME DECR, works the same way, decreasing volume. NOTE: The MAIN fader is located on the OUT page of the Layout menu.
IMPORTANT! Any other unsaved changes such as altered effect parameters or bypass states will also be stored if either VOLUME INCR or VOLUME DECR is triggered.

Oh crap - only by 1db each press which is not a boost. I think though I can have a button press in my LF Jr+ controller to trigger a sequence of 4 events, all of which could be CC#35 or 36 values so I can get a 4db boost with each trigger. Not sure how LONG that would take though, especially if it SAVES the preset after. That sounds like about 3 seconds to me, which is like 2.5 seconds too long. :cry I'll have to play with that though and see.

VOL INCR and VOL DEC cause +/- 1dB increments to the MAIN fader on the LAYOUT : OUTPUT page.
This affects only OUTPUT1. The change is made and the preset is saved.
This is best for volume-leveling the presets across a bank and is not a "boost".

VOL INCR and VOL DEC cause +/- 1dB increments to the MAIN fader on the LAYOUT : OUTPUT page.
This affects only OUTPUT1. The change is made and the preset is saved.
This is best for volume-leveling the presets across a bank and is not a "boost".

Well it would seem that it could ACT as a boost if you could sequence a series of these increase messages (up to the level you want to boost) in your controller with a button trigger and the decrease the same number of steps with a second button press. However I can't imagine that would be even close to being fast enough for a live performance given that it saves the preset every time.

Well it would seem that it could ACT as a boost if you could sequence a series of these increase messages (up to the level you want to boost) in your controller with a button trigger and the decrease the same number of steps with a second button press. However I can't imagine that would be even close to being fast enough for a live performance given that it saves the preset every time.

That won't work.

That won't work.

Why not? Other than the time it would take..It would seem that if I send 4 CC#35 messages in a row with a 127 value to the Axe FX it should increase the preset output volume by 1db each time - Right? The only flaw would be if the CC#35 message gets lost if the preset take more time to save itself than the 2nd one takes to get transmitted (not sure if it gets lost or is buffered).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom