Best-Tronics Ethernet cable

MotherSea

Experienced
Best-Tronics markets this ethernet cable specifically for FAS applications: Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS04-XX

They even note to order this item specifically in their Ethernet section (scroll down a bit): Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: ETHERNET

Why do they do this? Is there any advantage to using the one they are pushing over a cheapo one? Looks like I could get a 5-pack of 20 footers for about the same price as one of these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PACK-RJ45-MOL...10IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329394497&sr=8-1

Also, if I'm going to splurge on this "better" ethernet cable, wouldn't it be logical to get the first one on that second link (ruggedized, shielded, for live applications)?

Last edited:
The bestronics cable behaves more like a guitar cable the way it coils and resists kinking. I use the cheapo cat 5 stuff at home but wouldn't leave home without the more expensive stuff.

The Bestronics also have a better ft into the jack on the AxeII. It "clicks" into place and is removeable without any trouble. The plastic jacks on the cheapie cables tend to cause problems because the jacks are brittle and not always the same size.

We personally tested and approved all of the cables on the Best-Tronics Fractal Page.

They sent samples of EVERY available cable and we mixed-and-matched to create the Fractal-approved version.
As stated here, this is not only reflected in the quality of the end plugs, but the actual type of cabling was found to wrap and lay better. I was thinking of its use in cases or milk crates, where tangling can be an issue. (Thanks for noticing, Alec!)

I have the Best-Tronics cable and it is ultra heavy duty. I consider it a must have. They offer an awesome mic cable as well that I run the Axe to my FRFR. I have been buying all my cables from them for a while and have always been pleased with product and customer service. Very good company.

No offense, but for the price they're charging you could order Duracat with Ethercon ends. Rubber jacketed like a guitar or mic cable...coils perfectly.

No offense, but for the price they're charging you could order Duracat with Ethercon ends. Rubber jacketed like a guitar or mic cable...coils perfectly.
Except (of course) that there are no Ethercon's used on Axe/MFC! :)

There should be. It's little details like that (and the fan) that separate great gear from greatest gear. (Couldn't really put the Axe at any less than great!! :roll)

There should be. It's little details like that (and the fan) that separate great gear from greatest gear. (Couldn't really put the Axe at any less than great!! :roll)

And if the Axe-II used Ethercon instead of a standard ethernet port, people would find a way to complain about that too :roll

This solution is basically double the price, and you have to add the converters. Not sure if it would be worth it.

And if the Axe-II used Ethercon instead of a standard ethernet port, people would find a way to complain about that too :roll

Actually, an Ethercon can accept both standard RJ45 plugs and jacketed Ethercon connectors. There's nothing to complain about.
I put an ethercon connector on my MFC 101. I don't know if you tour at all, but RJ45 connectors, no matter how much they are sold for, will break, bend, shatter, pullout, etc when subjected to the impact of a boot at the wrong angle. So for home-entertainment, RJ 45 is great. For touring, unless one mounts the MFC on a board which protects the connectors, they're a liability, just like Midi cables.

I get all my cables from Best-Tronics! They've taken really good care of me and have made and sold cables to me a lot cheaper than other companies on the web. I get all my stuff through Jim Croke there.

Jim Croke
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.
708-802-9677
Best-Tronics Manufacturing Cables Assemblies & Contract Manufacturing
Guitar Cable MI & Professional Audio Cables

Actually, an Ethercon can accept both standard RJ45 plugs and jacketed Ethercon connectors. There's nothing to complain about.
I put an ethercon connector on my MFC 101. I don't know if you tour at all, but RJ45 connectors, no matter how much they are sold for, will break, bend, shatter, pullout, etc when subjected to the impact of a boot at the wrong angle. So for home-entertainment, RJ 45 is great. For touring, unless one mounts the MFC on a board which protects the connectors, they're a liability, just like Midi cables.

What did you use to change the ethernet on the MFC for ethercon?

Actually, I did not change the RJ45 for an Ethercon, although this could be done too with a bit more surgical work. I just added an Ethercon.

Another big vote of confidence and support for Best-Tronics!

I had them make all my new cables for my New AXE FXII rig. Ethernet Cable, Humbuster cables and I even had them make 3 custom TRS cables with 90's on both ends for MFC to Exp Pedal connections.

Very high quality cables made in the USA with superb service. Heck I'm such a fan I am even wearing one of their T-shirts right now!

There is when you've modded your MFC 101 with an ethercon and built a junction box on the Axe end like I have ;-)

And my point was, that ethercon are much more expensive ends and yet still cheaper than the Besttronics with the plastic ends!

Last edited:

True dat!

This solution is basically double the price, and you have to add the converters. Not sure if it would be worth it.

Incorrect...such a Duracat cable with ethercon (or without for that matter) is CHEAPER than the Besttronics...you wanna pay more for the same or better quality knock yourself out.

$35 for a 25' cable with plastic ends is not what I would call a great deal.

Last edited:
I get all my cables from Best-Tronics! They've taken really good care of me and have made and sold cables to me a lot cheaper than other companies on the web. I get all my stuff through Jim Croke there.

Jim Croke
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.
708-802-9677
Best-Tronics Manufacturing Cables Assemblies & Contract Manufacturing
Guitar Cable MI & Professional Audio Cables
I also have had Jim Croke make me custom cables in the past. Has always been very professional and accommodating. As soon as I get over the $40 price tag for a CAT-5 cable I'll probably be giving him a call . . . ;)

Back
Top Bottom