Best sounding Vocal microphone?

Guess I'm not much of a mic aficionado. I used to used SM58s... been using Beta 58s for the last 8 years or so. Stage proof, sound good, don't feed back unless you get crazy on the gain. There might be better sounding mics, a lot has come along in recent years. I'm curious to see what all is recommended here. The Beta series is hard to beat for live work.

Any advice on the Sennheiser e835fx which is bundled with the TC Helicon Voicelive Play ?

+1 for the Sennheiser e945. It's by far the best dynamic vocal stage mic I have ever used. Best sounding capsule, best gain before feedback, rock solid, and almost "condenser-like" resolution...tested it against an Audix QM5...and was shocked about the big difference...ok, the e945 is more expensive, but worth every Dime.

When I was singing lead in my last project, I spent an entire afternoon trying out all kinds of mics, and the SM58 was the best match for my voice and style.
I think it depends on a few things, but IMO, it's mostly the connection with your voice and style that matter's most.
With the SM58, for my voice, it cut through the mids more cleanly for me and has a more open, live sound, while also being able to reproduce a nice low range response when spoken into softly without flubbing or feedback.

Been holding onto this for a while - just dawdling really cos I should have a mic by now! - but before this thread, I was looking looking round at gearslutz or something and some people were talking about this mic (set), and I saw a decent-seeming vid of it. Comments, comparions?

MXL CR 24 Condenser Instrument Kit Studio Recording Professional Microphone 603 801813145748 | eBay

I guess I could spend whatever I want, but as I just sing for fun, and may do some songs in the future, I thought I'd try to get as good as I could for $200 or less.

After years of using a regular SM58 I switched to a Sennheiser e935 (cardioid mic; the e945 is a supercardioid) a few years ago and it works so much better for me. I absolutely love how it sounds and it works much better with monitors than the 58 did. Hot signal, great feedback rejection, and just a very nice sounding mic.

U87. 'Nuff said.

For live work? No way I'd trust a live engineer with a U87.

Haha HELL no! That's what I get for reading the title and not the OP.

As a line alternative though, the Neumann KMS105 is properly awesome

I got one a couple moths ago and have never enjoyed the art of singing as much as I do with that mic

However, being a condenser mic, it is better suited to quieter stages - perfect for our rig with no backline and triggered drums :encouragement:

I went from ElectroVoice N/D 767a to Audix VX-10. Great live mics! Been using Sennheiser E835 for backups and knock-around mics. I have an SM7B waiting for me in a box. Was going to do some recording with it this week.
I blew up my Audix about 8 years ago and called Audix. They sent me a knew mic no questions asked. It wasn't even registered and was out of warranty.

Before buying a microphone - watch this (and learn the godd*** f***** s*** if you don't know already!! :bull_head:)

Brillant stuff! Nuff said....

PS: Don't watch this if you're a bass player.....do something else....

Back
Top Bottom