Best Known Method when resetting AMP Block on existing patches ?

CurvedLight

Inspired
As I am kicking the tires on FW 3.0 Beta and want to reset the AMP blocks on about 25 of my custom patches so I can take full advantage of the "improved amp modeling".

I came up with the following process using Axe EDIT

1. Select Patch
2. Select Amp Block
3. Save amp block in the block library to preserve amp block settings
4. Reset Channel -- Menu->Block->Reset Channel ( this changes to default amp setting)
5. reload Block settings via block library to bring back preserved amp block settings
6. Save Patch

Is this what other do ?
Is there an alternate method ?

Just curious what others do ....

I don't see on the release notes or the readme file that there is need to reset the amp block after updating to Firmware 3.0 beta

Last edited:
As I am kicking the tires on FW 3.0 Beta and want to reset the AMP blocks on about 25 of my custom patches so I can take full advantage of the "improved amp modeling".

I came up with the following process using Axe EDIT

1. Select Patch
2. Select Amp Block
3. Save amp block in the block library to preserve amp block settings
4. Reset Channel -- Menu->Block->Reset Channel ( this changes to default amp setting)
5. reload Block settings via block library to bring back preserved amp block settings
6. Save Patch

Is this what other do ?
Is there an alternate method ?

Just curious what others do ....
If you reload your previous amp settings, I’m pretty sure you are hearing the same thing as before?

Hmmm, if the fundamental algorithm has been changed, then I would assume that an Amp reset is not going to change anything. It can only read from what it’s given..

The way that I have typically been doing this is, to copy the 'X' state (or Channel 'A' in this case) to 'Y' (or 'B'), reset the new, copied version, then go through and copy the original 'Basic' and 'GEQ' page settings to the reset model and see how it sounds to see if I like the (possible?) new defaults (visible and hidden). That usually does it?

If I don't like the results, I then go through each page and copy all of the old 'Advanced' settings to the reset model, and see where that takes me? If it's still different, then the underlying modeling is just that much different, or.... the original settings just don't work with the new algorithm?. I can embrace the new sound, or try to tweak it to match?

Generally speaking..... I use less (or none) 'Advanced' parameters than in older firmware versions. I tend to trust 'Cliff's new defaults.

The way that I have typically been doing this is, to copy the 'X' state (or Channel 'A' in this case) to 'Y' (or 'B'), reset the new, copied version, then go through and copy the original 'Basic' and 'GEQ' page settings to the reset model and see how it sounds to see if I like the (possible?) new defaults (visible and hidden). That usually does it?

If I don't like the results, I then go through each page and copy all of the old 'Advanced' settings to the reset model, and see where that takes me? If it's still different, then the underlying modeling is just that much different, or.... the original settings just don't work with the new algorithm?. I can embrace the new sound, or try to tweak it to match?

Generally speaking..... I use less (or none) 'Advanced' parameters than in older firmware versions. I tend to trust 'Cliff's new defaults.

I do exactly this!

If you reload your previous amp settings, I’m pretty sure you are hearing the same thing as before?

I keep getting confused about all this, probably because of all the same questions that happen every time. But that means I’m not the only one.

Maybe Cliff or a Fractal employee who knows can weigh in and say whether this mental model is accurate. I’ll throw it out there as a strawman, with no real knowledge of my own as to whether it is accurate:

I tend to think of “improved amp modeling” like a motor swap in your car that happens when you update th firmware, regardless of whether you reset the block or not.

It doesn’t change what tires you use, how you set up your seat and mirrors, things like that. Those are analogous to the tone settings, MV, gain and so forth. Advanced settings like bright cap value are analogous to adjusting the boost pressure and ignition timing.

Resetting the block to defaults changes the seat height and mirror adjustments back to what they were the day your car rolled off the factory floor, and about as I find it about as useful. But I don’t know whether that also is required to actually finish the motor swap.

If this model works, then you don’t need to do a block reset once the modeling is changed. But that’s not clear to me. And I’d like to know.

I keep getting confused about all this, probably because of all the same questions that happen every time. But that means I’m not the only one.

Maybe Cliff or a Fractal employee who knows can weigh in and say whether this mental model is accurate. I’ll throw it out there as a strawman, with no real knowledge of my own as to whether it is accurate:

I tend to think of “improved amp modeling” like a motor swap in your car that happens when you update th firmware, regardless of whether you reset the block or not.

It doesn’t change what tires you use, how you set up your seat and mirrors, things like that. Those are analogous to the tone settings, MV, gain and so forth. Advanced settings like bright cap value are analogous to adjusting the boost pressure and ignition timing.

Resetting the block to defaults changes the seat height and mirror adjustments back to what they were the day your car rolled off the factory floor, and about as I find it about as useful. But I don’t know whether that also is required to actually finish the motor swap.

If this model works, then you don’t need to do a block reset once the modeling is changed. But that’s not clear to me. And I’d like to know.
If you reset and load previously saved settings back, you have undone the reset.

The entire point of resetting is to get the new default values and leave them there as a starting point, typically the advanced parameters.

If you want it to stay the same, don’t reset.

If you reset and load previously saved settings back, you have undone the reset.

The entire point of resetting is to get the new default values and leave them there as a starting point, typically the advanced parameters.

If you want it to stay the same, don’t reset.

OK - This makes so much sense --- I was under the MISCONCEPTION that resetting the block ensured that the NEW DSP code was activated. But from what you explained the NEW DSP code is running with my current settings and the RESETTING loads the latest default settings. I was focusing ON preserving my Tone/Gain settings as I rarely mess with the other settings...

So moving forward I think I may make a note of my Gain, Bass, Mid , Treble etc and Level settings -- THEN do a reset and adjust the tone and level setting by ear to taste using my previous tone/gain settings as suggestions but ultimately using my ears

THANKS for helping me understand this - I really appreciate the help the forum offers !

OK - This makes so much sense --- I was under the MISCONCEPTION that resetting the block ensured that the NEW DSP code was activated. But from what you explained the NEW DSP code is running with my current settings and the RESETTING loads the latest default settings. I was focusing ON preserving my Tone/Gain settings as I rarely mess with the other settings...

So moving forward I think I may make a note of my Gain, Bass, Mid , Treble etc and Level settings -- THEN do a reset and adjust the tone and level setting by ear to taste using my previous tone/gain settings as suggestions but ultimately using my ears

THANKS for helping me understand this - I really appreciate the help the forum offers !
The point of resetting is to get ALL of the changes. If you reset it, then put it right back due to loading all previous settings... how is that a change? (and reminder, you are already running the latest amp modeling anyway. i'm just saying that if you want change but put the parameters back to old settings, you aren't changing much.)

If the Release Notes say to reset the amp blocks, then do it. That’s typically when some underlying thing needs to happen. Otherwise if you WANT changes, reset and keep the new advanced settings there as a starting point. If you don’t want changes, don’t change anything.

Last edited:
The point of resetting is to get the changes. If you change it, then change it right back due to loading all previous settings... how is that a change?
The point of resetting is to get the changed default parameter settings. The changed amp modeling is already running, whether you reset or not.

I think that’s what you said earlier. :)

In the past (with the Axe Fx II), I believe that Cliff has stated in some cases to specifically reset the amp block to get the effect of the modeling changes.

Not only to get the new default settings because you could just as easily adjust those settings yourself (by checking what the defaults are).

My suspicion in those cases is that there are stored settings in the Amp block that are not exposed to the user, and that a reset is the only way for those specific settings to get updated.

Maybe I'm wrong...

In the past (with the Axe Fx II), I believe that Cliff has stated in some cases to specifically reset the amp block to get the effect of the modeling changes.
I’ve never seen that.

Sure, you could reset defaults by hand. But how long would it take to compare and reset every parameter in the Amp block? Now multiply that by hundreds of presets. :)

I’ve never seen that.

I have, on a regular basis with the II. Not with the III at all that I can remember.
Firmware 15 release notes:

NOTE: This is a major firmware release which has the potential to alter the sounds of presets. The core amp modeling has been improved and most of the amp models have been adjusted accordingly. It is recommended that any existing presets have the amp block reset to ensure that the appropriate parameter values are loaded. This is achieved by deselecting the amp type and then reselecting it, i.e. if the amp type is Deluxe Verb the amp block would be reset by selecting a different model, e.g. Dirty Shirley, and then reselecting Deluxe Verb. This will reset various internal parameters and certain user parameters. Note that Master Volume, Presence and Depth, among others, are set to default values when selecting an amp model. See below for more information about Presence default values. It may be helpful to note the value of these parameters prior to resetting the block.

I’ve never seen that.

Sure, you could reset defaults by hand. But how long would it take to compare and reset every parameter in the Amp block? Now multiply that by hundreds of presets. :)
But how many actually change during a given update? Typically a few.

Back
Top Bottom