Best FRFR solution for metal in live applications

npdcoremetal

Inspired
Just as the title says whats the best sounding FRFR with the most flat eq curve I have a QSC K12 do not like it IMO it Sucks!!!!!

Mackie HD1531 - not sure if its flat and don't really care but man this will deliver all and more that you will need :)

I have an ELX 112P, also, and it's a great speaker. Maybe has a bit of extra low end than some other FRFR speakers, due to its enclosure or other factors, so you might like that for metal applications

I tried a Mackie HD1531 back when I had an Ultra and it sounded nothing like a good 4x12 is supposed to sound like... No low end... And nowhere near as loud... Clipping like crazy too...

I tried a Mackie HD1531 back when I had an Ultra and it sounded nothing like a good 4x12 is supposed to sound like... No low end... And nowhere near as loud... Clipping like crazy too...

Not my experience, no clipping, plenty of tight low end and loud enough :) Only way is get out there and try various recommendations.

This was my experience with the JBL PRX line. I would only rely on traditional PA speakers if I was playing venues with professional sound systems every night. Otherwise, I need the presence of a cab. Maybe try the Atomics or a Thiele-type deal.

While I haven't gigged with my Atomics I play metal and love the sound and have a ton of volume.

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

how much time/money do you have to spend? this will help guide those with selection ideas for you. If you're willing to spend both, there are some great solutions out there. If you are looking for a quick fix under $800, you'll have limited choices and a roll of the dice.

heres what i have tried so far rocktron velocity 300 with mesa cabs marshall 9100 with mesa cabs avatars and peavey now i have a qsc k12 i dont like and atomic 50/50 with avatar cabs havent decided what i think about that setup and i have a carvin ts100 i use for practice through a peavy cab a engl powerball i ran axe II and ultra thru it and sounded awesome also i have a peavey 1600 power amp its ok pretty flat this is why i dont wanna try anything else here is my ussual issues 1 highs are ice picky when trying to dial them out either it is too much not enough or start to get honky 2 mids are rediculous in some applications some not. What i Can not quite understand is why it sounds great recorded or thru monitors but with the power amp cab combo i get a tad too much highs n icky mids i dont mean the good kinds thats musical either with th QSC its highs highs highs ive tried other guys patches they are flipping about and i hook it up and them highs burst my ears evertime i must be doing something wrong it seems since the 10.05 to 11 on the ultra and day 1 with the 2 i had problems getting what i liked i had the best sound ever i worked on for months and it got lost in a crash its on an album but very hard to match

heres what i have tried so far rocktron velocity 300 with mesa cabs marshall 9100 with mesa cabs avatars and peavey now i have a qsc k12 i dont like and atomic 50/50 with avatar cabs havent decided what i think about that setup and i have a carvin ts100 i use for practice through a peavy cab a engl powerball i ran axe II and ultra thru it and sounded awesome also i have a peavey 1600 power amp its ok pretty flat this is why i dont wanna try anything else here is my ussual issues 1 highs are ice picky when trying to dial them out either it is too much not enough or start to get honky 2 mids are rediculous in some applications some not. What i Can not quite understand is why it sounds great recorded or thru monitors but with the power amp cab combo i get a tad too much highs n icky mids i dont mean the good kinds thats musical either with th QSC its highs highs highs ive tried other guys patches they are flipping about and i hook it up and them highs burst my ears evertime i must be doing something wrong it seems since the 10.05 to 11 on the ultra and day 1 with the 2 i had problems getting what i liked i had the best sound ever i worked on for months and it got lost in a crash its on an album but very hard to match

When you check other peoples patches it can be good to know if they are made for live use or for home playing volumes. That'll make all the difference in how much high frequency there is, and you won't really feel it
untill you start to turn up. FRFR should not really be style dependend.

I think that taking out highs is possible but you need to get really good at programming the patches.
Sorry if I am a bit off topic.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom