Best day of my life!

I was going to buy a second-hand Ultra, however my father said he was scared that it was no longer in warranty, and that if it broke in any way, I'd be out £700 or so.

My grandfather who is staying for new year overheard this, and it peaked his interest, having played guitar is his youth. He read up about it, and loved what he heard. The next morning, he came down and offered to buy me the XL+, as long as I used it for the rest of my life and treasured it.

I just went from ecstatic about buying a used Ultra to heaven.

May everyone have a fantastic year, I hope to have a great time on this forum!

What a classy move by your grandfather - that's pure love from him : - )
Make sure he knows just how much the gift and he means to you, and play your a$$ of with the XL+

Also ask any questions you might have here and we'll help you get off to a flying start ......well maybe do a simple forum search first and read the manual, but we are here to help if you need it

Glad it worked out for you PK. Your grandfather was very nice to do that for you.

My wife sort of did the same thing when I was looking at used MK IIs though the price difference was much less then an Ultra vs XL+.

No doubt your grandfather is great. My father wouldn't buy me a set of strings if my life depended on it.

Wow PK, congratulations and welcome to the forum!! :):)
I hope your XL+ arrives soon - you have an awesome grandpa and he must see something special in you and your playing to get you top end gear like this! You might want to start saving up for a floor controller such as the MFC101, or a cheaper alternative although this is really only if you plan to use it live.

What a lucky man you are! It's great to have a grandfather who was a musician in his youth: maybe he can't understand GAS but he can surely understand what a great device the Axe-Fx is! Congrats!

I was going to buy a second-hand Ultra, however my father said he was scared that it was no longer in warranty, and that if it broke in any way, I'd be out £700 or so.

My grandfather who is staying for new year overheard this, and it peaked his interest, having played guitar is his youth. He read up about it, and loved what he heard. The next morning, he came down and offered to buy me the XL+, as long as I used it for the rest of my life and treasured it.

Having never met my grandfather, I can only imagine how happy it made him to see you freak
on his offer. Irreplaceable family member who must adore your ass. Your a very lucky dude,
make him proud!

Congratulations you should hug Grandpa and tell him how far things have come technology wise and record
some things or him to hear if you get it while he is there play for him and set up axe edit and show him
if he is not there maybe film and record it and show him how amazing this is..

You just got the last piece of gear you would need for life I am 54 going on 55 and ive been chasing tones and turning knobs
along time and I wish I had this in the 80s id be so much less worried about my sound and would have saved alot of time and money..

I was able to match every vintage tube amp Ive owned and then some with it and by ear at that I got so close by ear I did not have to tone match...

So Grandfather just set you free sir...
You just have no idea one by one now you will be able to find those sounds in your mind..
You know when they hit you and you cant tell the difference from the original recorded source
that is what Grandfather just bought you..

I would get a trophy place to engrave a plaque and have it say what your Grandfather said too you about it
and put it on the axe fx somewhere and the best thing you could do is spend time with him and talk about family
and history after you hug him all damn week..

Pull up some you tube videos to show him about the axe xl and show him axe edit..
There is a learning curve and this pool is very deep you just completed your tone search....

Trust me on that I would record something for Grandfather and take some film and video of you playing it
and your expressions will show him how much he just changed your life...

Dont forget to call him and talk too him about it also... every week..

I wish My parents had been able to hear me and see how much joy this box has brought for me
but I think they know.. They did not raise a dummy...

Id be jumping up and down and getting something nice for Grandfather..

Reading your story was great....!

My father sold a cow for getting an upright piano for us when we were kids -- you never know what such investments lead to. I get/got whatever (little) art systems my kids (no grown-ups) need/needed.

Back
Top Bottom