Best damn Comfortably Numb tone ever

Coldsummer

Experienced
This was just posted on the Fractal Audio Facebook page. Sounds great to me, full fat version with lots of shizzum going on. It would be such a treat if Edoardo chose to share his patch but failing that I was thinking how cool it would be if M@tt would host a tone seminar on the forum to show how he helps artists dial in their tones or how he would go about emulating some of the famous tones. Of course this one would be a good one to start with, :mrgreen

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool tone and playing. The pre set is likely very good, but I bet he could make it sound good with a basic plexi pre set.....

Not a huge Floyd fan, but Gilmour is great and this guy just did a bang-up job - love the tone and the playing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a listen thru, excelent from start to end dude.
Another fine example of what the Axe is worth in the right hands.
Cant find your, or a good tone? Hmmm..?

I enjoyed listening to that, nice tone, and great playing....However for the "Best damn Comfortably Numb tone Ever" I think I would have to go with a certain Mr D Gilmour.
[h=2][/h]
Hmmmm

It would be lovely to share that patch :encouragement:

I also have the EMG SA + SPC midrange booster at my strat, but cannot get that tone with the Axe-FX

I enjoyed listening to that, nice tone, and great playing....However for the "Best damn Comfortably Numb tone Ever" I think I would have to go with a certain Mr D Gilmour.
[h=2][/h]
Hmmmm

I agree. Great playing, but it sounds a bit compressed and a bit too much gain. Studio version is much more organic and vocal sounding. The true sound of Gilmour's strat shines through. Close enough for rock n' roll though. :encouragement:

I agree. Great playing, but it sounds a bit compressed and a bit too much gain. Studio version is much more organic and vocal sounding. The true sound of Gilmour's strat shines through. Close enough for rock n' roll though. :encouragement:

So you are comparing a "Studio version" via CD (or something) to YouTube video? Gurl Please!
How about comparing to one of the dozen other PF versions?
More organic and vocal sounding? This sounds like some cork sniffing to me..

So you are comparing a "Studio version" via CD (or something) to YouTube video? Gurl Please!
How about comparing to one of the dozen other PF versions?
More organic and vocal sounding? This sounds like some cork sniffing to me..

Sounds like someone with an objective ear to me. I would make the same comments myself. The original tone has much more pronounced attack and dynamics, and has comb filtered characteristics (the vocal quality) not present in this clip. The original quacks, barks, breathes, along with a dozen other meaningless phrases used to describe tone.

Sounds like someone with an objective ear to me. I would make the same comments myself. The original tone has much more pronounced attack and dynamics, and has comb filtered characteristics (the vocal quality) not present in this clip. The original quacks, barks, breathes, along with a dozen other meaningless phrases used to describe tone.

For me, the performance, mixing and mastering on the original captured a magic moment. Those guitar notes seem to float in the mix and all nuance is laid out in very clear detail. A fantastic achievement.

For me, the performance, mixing and mastering on the original captured a magic moment. Those guitar notes seem to float in the mix and all nuance is laid out in very clear detail. A fantastic achievement.

I agree. Saying that a clip differs from the original, or even lacks something that the original possesses, is not an insult. Even tone matching won't get you all the way there in this case. "Detail" is a good word to use to describe the original. Every tiny pick nuance is evident. The attack is explosive. It sustains without sounding overly compressed, distorted, or saturated. The auditory cues are so strong that I can see the speakers and mics in my mind as I listen to it. It's three-dimensional. Think Rockman in reverse. The II can do it. The clip is a good tone. But I'd try a few things to make it even better for this particular solo to reach truly epic status.

Back
Top Bottom