Best backup solution for Axe FX?

ninja9

Inspired
So I've been gigging with only the Axe for a while now, but in the interests of professionalism I should really carry a backup. I had the Ultra die on me once, and the Axe FX II also, but that was before I bought a power conditioner (apparently Australian voltage fluxuates badly).

Anyway, who can recommend a backup solution? Ideally one thing rather than a bunch of pedals, something small that can stay in the car. I guess I would need a clean sound and a lead sound, maybe some basic effects such as reverb, delay.

Thoughts?

a small item, can stay in a car, not a lot of pedals, basic effects...

pod perhaps? Wait, you said "in the interests of professionalism".... ;)

I carry a GT10. Never once had to use it in 4+ yrs of Fractal playing.

I DO power it up occasionally to make sure it still works!

Do you want it to be a combo type of amp or another direct to FOH type of rig? The Black Star ID series doesn't sound to bad or Line 6 pod :? both are fairly inexpensive.

I have a board with some pedals on it that ends with a Tech21 British. Never had to use it.

So I've been gigging with only the Axe for a while now, but in the interests of professionalism I should really carry a backup. I had the Ultra die on me once, and the Axe FX II also, but that was before I bought a power conditioner (apparently Australian voltage fluxuates badly).

Anyway, who can recommend a backup solution? Ideally one thing rather than a bunch of pedals, something small that can stay in the car. I guess I would need a clean sound and a lead sound, maybe some basic effects such as reverb, delay.

Thoughts?

Just got a zoom ms-100bt for backup/rehearsal. Sounds great through the atomic clr. Stomp box sized and runs on 2 AA's

Last edited:
Reactions: sam
Lately, I carry my old JVM210 head and G-Major for effects with a Behringer FCB1010, Crybaby from Hell, and MXR Phase 100 on a custom made floorboard. The JVM210 head is great in that it has an emulated 4x12 direct out, which I send to the PA. I use a 1960B 4x12 cab loaded with Marshall G12Vintage 70 watt + G12T-75's on stage, sounds great, but I HATE the cone of deaf....... Funny thing is I have my JVM 1/2 stack on stage, powered up, on stand by, and everyone tells me how awesome it sounds... most don't know I'm really using an Axe FX direct to the PA.

I went for the newest Vox Tonelab. Of course not as good as the Axe but better than the rest in my opinion. Small, easy to carry around.

When I go out, I usually have my MacBook Pro with me. I have Guitar Rig loaded with some usable presets.
If I don' have my MBP, I always have my iphone with Ampkit. Kinda lame but it's better than going direct into the board!

I carry a Tech 21 British pedal as a backup. Never had to use it in that role, but I have used it. Works well enough, I do like it for what it is.

you should audition the Zoom G3 if you can get access to one
It does quite a lot for a small, cheaper box, and sound fairly decent.
I thought it sounded a little better than the HD500 I had. ymmv

I just use a small Roland cube. Leave in car. Push to shove it gives me clean and dirty with delay and foot switchable. Not an Axe FX by any means. But cheap and would do the trick in a pinch.

I have an 11Rack and old Ground Control pedal (not Pro, the older pre-Voodoo one) that works decently as a backup, and I'll carry that to bigger gigs out of town.

For an "always with me every time I play" backup I keep a Tech 21 TRI-AC pedal in my gig box. It sounds ok, has three footswitch selectable sounds you can program (I set it up for clean, crunch, lead tones), and it is the size of, well, a three button stomp box... which is exactly what it is. Easy, small, cheap, sounds decent; just what a backup should be.

I have a Boss GT-10 and I have some great sounds coming out of it. But I have thought about getting an Eleven rack. I haven't decided yet, I really would love to have a second Axe but man no cash right now. I have thought about the new POD HD500 and listened to a guy on Youtube with one that sounded pretty good.

I carry a GT10. Never once had to use it in 4+ yrs of Fractal playing.

I DO power it up occasionally to make sure it still works!
How do you like the gt10? I recently set mine up and have been making some presets using just the preamp section with light reverb and delay.I have set up.six different presets using what I thought sounded like the best preamps. I'm jamming it through some mackie HR824 and it is sounding pretty dam good. I was looking for your opinion on the unit. Oh yea I have a second one I use with the four cable method through my Pearce preamp and it works great like this configuration. Just wondering how it compares to an eleven rack or pod hd500.

Back
Top Bottom