Best 3U rack bag to fit Axe-Fx2?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I am thinking of getting myself a 1U matrix poweramp for my set up and so I'll need to get a 3U case for my gear. I generally prefer rack bags for daily use as I'm not doing any fly gigs but if there are some good cases then feel free to let me know about them as well.

I find the one critical factor that seems to be an issue for housing the Axe Fx2 is the internal depth required. A lot of cases siply don't fit the Axe Fx 2 because it seems relatively deep compared to many other rack mount devices.

I have the 4U version of this and I like it. Gator 3U Rack Bag

The depth is fine and will completely house the Axe FX, but I would consider getting a 90 degree power cable for the Axe. I still use the one that came with my Axe Fx and I have to unplug it when I close it up. The back zipper is just cloth and will completely close, but the power cable does poke into the fabric. If you try to lay the case straight up, you'll be putting a lot of pressure on the cable.

Anyways, that said, I like this case. I've had it since the first day I owned the Axe and have gigged dozens of shows with it.

My gator 3u bag is great. Fits the axe fx, but like above, an angled power cable would probably be a good idea. I just unplug mine if I want to move it.

I have the Gator 3u and have been using it for years. Works great. I have my FX and a Line 6 G90 wireless in the bag. Unzip the front and back, plug it in, and I'm ready to rock.

Having a 4U with 3U filled is not a bad option - you have space to bring cabling out the front - or use a 1U breakout interface panel.

I have my AxeFx, Matrix GT1000FX and a 1U Vafam interface panel in a 4U rack bag ...... really light to carry and all I/O sockets I require from AxeFX and Matrix are brought to the front via the Vafam panel - which protects my AxeFX rear panel sockets from plug in/plug out wear and prevents sticking things in the wrong sockets when fumbling around the back.

I have the 2U Gator (the one with a 3rd small room on the top in which i put my small foot controller and a laptop) and yes it is really great. I recommend.

I have the 4U version of this and I like it. Gator 3U Rack Bag

The depth is fine and will completely house the Axe FX, but I would consider getting a 90 degree power cable for the Axe. I still use the one that came with my Axe Fx and I have to unplug it when I close it up. The back zipper is just cloth and will completely close, but the power cable does poke into the fabric. If you try to lay the case straight up, you'll be putting a lot of pressure on the cable.

Anyways, that said, I like this case. I've had it since the first day I owned the Axe and have gigged dozens of shows with it.

Hmmmm... Looks good. Any chance a laptop would fit in the top pocket?

Hang on a minute..... The site for Gator lists this case as being 12.5" internal depth but the Axe Fx 2 is listed in the user manual as being14.25" deep. So what is going on here? There's no way an Axe Fx 2 would fit in this case given the listed dimensions. Now I'm confused.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29155-1142/gr-rackbag-3u

I do recall buying a 3U gator case GRB3UW (the one with wheels and telescopic handle) and I ended up selling it straight way because it was not deep enough to fit the Axe Fx 2 and it has the same depth as the one you guys are recommending. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
My Axe FX II Mk.2 fits perfect, dunno if the XL's have different dimensions?

AB4E02F1-35FE-475E-AAE2-A5C93F6B3A42_zpsmggr8a0m.jpg

6B78C896-C46C-4BB6-967E-6E2C75C554E6_zpsheotl4za.jpg

Initially, I used a 3U bag for my Axe-fx and my 1U Matrix GT1000fx, but after a while the zippers of the bag and the loop for the strap broke. Since I really enjoyed the portability of a rack bag, but wanted something more durable, I ordered a custom rack case with plastic panels instead of wood (for a decrease in weight) and loops to attach a strap.

This gave me the possibility to order the exact depth I needed to accustom all my gear. As you can see in the pictures below, I soldered a patch bay (including one powercon for both the Axe-Fx, Matrix and my wireless). Unfortunately I don't have a picture with my wireless installed, but it's attached to the bottom of the case behind the Matrix.

IMG_1032_zps174a57a7.jpg

IMG_1028_zpsaf03e501.jpg

Gator 3U rack-bag. It is standing vertical, so I have made a custom front plate with the I/O's to avoid the need to access the rear side and always keep the back lid closed.

Axe-_FX01.jpg

Here is the rear. I still have to connect the MIDI I/O to the front panel
Axe-FX02.jpg

Keeping the rack vertical is ideal when you are living in a very small apartment
Gear_02.jpg

Gear_01.jpg

Last edited:
Gator 3U rack-bag. It is standing vertical, so I have made a custom front plate with the I/O's to avoid the need to access the rear side and always keep the back lid closed.

You have a VG-99 and GP-10!! So do I but they don't get much use now I have an axe-fx :)
Killer units though. The VG-99 blew my mind when it came out.
I moved away form the Roland/Boss gear as they haven't updated they're awful 13-pin connector design. I get so much popping and noise that it's next to useless for live use. I even wired a 15 pin VGA connector onto my guitar to try and fix the issues but there's still stuff going on with it.
Ah Roland if you could only get out of your own way...

Axe-_FX01.jpg

Here is the rear. I still have to connect the MIDI I/O to the front panel
Axe-FX02.jpg

Keeping the rack vertical is ideal when you are living in a very small apartment
Gear_02.jpg

Gear_01.jpg

Just a question... What are you using the Motu audio interface for in your rack bag?

Just a question... What are you using the Motu audio interface for in your rack bag?

The Motu UltraLite Mk3 is my main audio interface.When I record guitars I always use the Axe-FX USB in order to record both the dry and wet signals, but when monitoring or recording vocals and acoustic instruments I use the Motu.

It is also useful for playing live with a laptop for backing tracks, microphone for vocals, and eventually a keyboard player. The output of the Motu goes to the PA and acts a s a mixer for all the signals.

You have a VG-99 and GP-10!! So do I but they don't get much use now I have an axe-fx

I use them a lot but, as you may imagine, I do not use the COSM AMP/CAB/FX at all. I only use the V-Guitar Modeller part and I connect it to the rear stereo input of the Axe-FX for processing.

The VG-99 or GP-10 Bass Modeller connected to the Axe-FX Bass Amp and the Bass Cab Packs (pack 11 and ML-USA-Bass) sounds amazing. Impossible to differentiate from a real bass. From Steve Harris to Billy Sheehan or Geddy Lee, it's all there.

My dream is that the Axe-FX had V-Guitar. Like the Roland VG but with Fractal Audio supreme quality. Can you imagine? We could be swapping different guitar bodies, pickups an all kind of string and bowed instruments and synths with the same facility as we are currently exchanging IR's at the CAB block. Besides Cab Packs, there would be Pickup Packs, Bass Packs, Acoustic Guitar Packs, Violin Packs, Banjo packs, Stratocasters from all ages... :cool:

Electro-Harmonix is recently starting to show that this could be made even without the need of a divided pickup (SYNTH9, MEL9, KEY9, B9, C9) They still haven't got into guitars or pickups modelling, only synths and keyboards, but this is opening possibilities.

Last edited:
The Motu UltraLite Mk3 is my main audio interface.When I record guitars I always use the Axe-FX USB in order to record both the dry and wet signals, but when monitoring or recording vocals and acoustic instruments I use the Motu.

It is also useful for playing live with a laptop for backing tracks, microphone for vocals, and eventually a keyboard player. The output of the Motu goes to the PA and acts a s a mixer for all the signals.

I use them a lot but, as you may imagine, I do not use the COSM AMP/CAB/FX at all. I only use the V-Guitar Modeller part and I connect it to the rear stereo input of the Axe-FX for processing.

The VG-99 or GP-10 Bass Modeller connected to the Axe-FX Bass Amp and the Bass Cab Packs (pack 11 and ML-USA-Bass) sounds amazing. Impossible to differentiate from a real bass. From Steve Harris to Billy Sheehan or Geddy Lee, it's all there.

My dream is that the Axe-FX had V-Guitar. Like the Roland VG but with Fractal Audio supreme quality. Can you imagine? We could be swapping different guitar bodies, pickups an all kind of string and bowed instruments and synths with the same facility as we are currently exchanging IR's at the CAB block. Besides Cab Packs, there would be Pickup Packs, Bass Packs, Acoustic Guitar Packs, Violin Packs, Banjo packs, Stratocasters from all ages... :cool:

Electro-Harmonix is recently starting to show that this could be made even without the need of a divided pickup (SYNTH9, MEL9, KEY9, B9, C9) They still haven't got into guitars or pickups modelling, only synths and keyboards, but this is opening possibilities.

Ok so when the case is closed can you still fit an Axe Fx 2 MkII in there and have a angled power cable plugged in? Or do you have to unplug the power cable when you close it?

Ok so when the case is closed can you still fit an Axe Fx 2 MkII in there and have a angled power cable plugged in? Or do you have to unplug the power cable when you close it?

It is an angled power cable. I always keep the back closed (except a small gap for passing the power cable) and I do not have to unplug it.

Back
Top Bottom