Behold: The New FM3 MK II Turbo

10%……hardly seems worth the effort.
I suspect a lot of it is due to supply chain improvements/updates, and shared componentry with other Fractal units. Kind of like when Sony releases a new "slim" or "pro" Playstation a lot of times it actually costs them less to build than the older clunkier one because it's more streamlined, so everyone wins.

Anyways, I'd maybe be interested if the Turbo can run longer sample length Dyna Cab, but I'm not seeing any indication of that.

I suspect a lot of it is due to supply chain improvements/updates, and shared componentry with other Fractal units. Kind of like when Sony releases a new "slim" or "pro" Playstation a lot of times it actually costs them less to build than the older clunkier one because it's more streamlined, so everyone wins.

Anyways, I'd maybe be interested if the Turbo can run longer sample length Dyna Cab, but I'm not seeing any indication of that.
Yeah I agree - seems more of a sourcing of components move. Haven't seen anything in terms of storage of Dyna cabs.
I'm more than happy with my FM3, it just needs the usb manual offset recording issue fixed.

Does anyone know if the new FM3 Turbo is now utilizing the same DSP chips as the Axe FX III or upgraded versions of the DSP chips it originally did?

Lets see how it pans out in real world use but on paper it's kinda underwhelming? Still won't allow dual-amps / cabs (not that I'd need them). Sounds more like a "facelift" of the Mk I - which is by no means a bad thing; I also get that there should be a difference to the FM9 - which probably are exactly the dual-amps / cabs. Anyway, loving my Mk I and never really encountered any issues with it / the CPU.

Yep. Doesn't move the needle much for me. I'll wait for the FM3 MkIII Turbo Extreme edition. ;)

Yep. Doesn't move the needle much for me. I'll wait for the FM3 MkIII Turbo Extreme edition. ;)
My perspective is it doesn't at all make me regret my FM3 (which I also got at a good price), but I'm also happy that if an anvil falls on it or some jackoff likes my tone too much and walks off with it, my replacement FM3 will be just a bit better.

Actually the 10% boost and larger screens seems to be the only difference.
Correct.
The first thing I wonder is if there will be only one firmware for both units? Considering the confusion that sometimes run amok in the FM3 Firmware Beta threads, having a second should be interesting.
There's one firmware for each model. The only processing difference being speed there's no need for a different firmware.

If it’s worth it for you, buy it. If not, don’t. No big deal either way. It eliminates some supply chain issues for FAS and offers a solution that people have been asking for. Sounds like a win all the way around to me. Congrats, @FractalAudio and team. Hopefully this eliminates some headaches and continues to keep fans of the ecosystem happy and excited.

100% seems like sourcing issues forced a change. I just got my used fm3 about a month ago. I’ve been on the waiting list for about 3 months, when my current pedal board rig went haywire I had to move to keep the gigs going. I had planned to buy a new one when my name was called and pass the used one on. I’ll have to see what this does to prices on both ends of that transaction but if I get a little better unit no harm done. I do wish this meant dual amp blocks even if only for seamless switching.

Seems almost inevitable that the FM9 will be getting the bigger screens soon.
Since the FC Mk IIs announced, we've said that we want to bring the new displays to the whole family. But in the current manufacturing world of shortages and setbacks, quite a few new gray hairs were earned in getting to this new version. Any chance of an FM9 Mk II is still quite farther out.

There’s a few FM3 users out there that could use that 10% bump and/or bigger displays. As well it’s a bonus for those entering the FM3 realm. I wouldn’t call it underwhelming. IMO it’s a good move on FAS team to keep product rolling and not upset the mob with major revisions to hardware. Majority of current FM3 users should be just fine staying put.

Back
Top Bottom