Beer spill on my MFC

mtmartin71

Experienced
A nice fan offered me a beer at a gig but put it on the sub right next to my setup. I didn't thing about it, but the sub vibrated it off eventually and broke the glass of beer...right over my MFC somehow. I noticed and then all of a sudden it started changing patches on its own and having issue. When I saw that, I quickly unplugged power from the FASlink and went the remainder of the show without the MFC. This morning I cleaned it thoroughly on the outside and opened it up. I can't really tell how much went inside the unit and can't see if anything burnt out. I don't think anything did though.

Anyone have this happen with a MFC or other similar device? Any other suggestions on what to do before I try to power back up to test it? I don't think it got completely soaked and I've cleaned it and opened it up but not ready to test it with power until I know it's dried out. The good news is that the MFC is built on a number of boards inside so if I have killed something internally, the repair seems like it would be relatively feasible.

Leave it open in front of or under a fan for a couple of days before powering it up in case there's still liquid in it. Chances are though that any damage that was going to happen has already happened. If there's no damage, then you're okay. If its a Mark III make sure that the contacts under the switches are clean.

I saw a video once where some musician would wrap his mfc with whole bunch of layers of kitchen plastic wrap. You could still see the patch names and numbers and lights. This would give a little protection from accidents like this.

I've seen pro's use clear shower curtain.

Side note, I just got rained out of a gig, and i was scared to death my Liquid foot 12+ was going to get roasted. I'm going to be putting together a disaster pack for gigs, have some tarps, rain ponchos, trash bags, towels, and now possibly a footcontroller cover. trying to think of anything else i could need.

One thing I thought of...having the Axe II protected separate of the MFC was nice and allowed me to carry on with the Axe. An Axe8, Helix, HD 500, etc. would have meant going to a whole different backup solution that night (I use a Fly Rig 5 as a disaster recovery). This is the first time I've been bit by something like this though in about 80 gigs over the course of 10 years.

I've seen pro's use clear shower curtain.

Side note, I just got rained out of a gig, and i was scared to death my Liquid foot 12+ was going to get roasted. I'm going to be putting together a disaster pack for gigs, have some tarps, rain ponchos, trash bags, towels, and now possibly a footcontroller cover. trying to think of anything else i could need.

I have a similar disaster kit. Check out Ziplok XL size….MFC will fit inside. I also carry a few Glad Lawn & Leaf bags, to quickly put over amps and (small) PA speakers.

Little anecdote from a keyboard tech at Air Studios in Monserrat. He said that the environment there was pretty dusty and with smoke, coffee, dust and crap, he'd take his keyboards out about once a year, open them up and wash them under a stream of water and then let them dry for a day in the sun!

I live in a marine environment and once a piece of gear fell in salt water (while unplugged). Sea water will destroy anything if allowed to dry so I opened up the piece of gear and flushed it under running water for a good little while then allowed it to air dry and finished it off with a hair dryer. Good as new!

I use custom configured Ziplock XLs as well for my pedalboard. Saved me in a bunch of monsoon-style downpours at fests this year. I also use grill covers for my entire rig (Axe rack, guitar rack, etc)- super easy to whip out and cover the gear in a sudden rain burst.

Back
Top Bottom