Bass Tones - Presets, Tone Matches & Video

Axe-Master
I was super excited to get my band's bass player to spend some time on the III, both to dial in some tones for recording and to set up a dual guitar/bass patch that we can move towards using live. His usual bass rig is pretty simple; a Sansamp Bass Driver running into whatever backline amp is available plus a clean DI blended in at the board. We were able to emulate this and more using the III.

We split the lows out to an optical compressor and the highs to the Darkglass model running into the USA Bass and some stock Bass IR's and a gate. We initially tried the crossover but got better results with seperate filter blocks on the clean and distorted parts of the signal. We also used the tone match feature to replicate his Sansamp settings which sound bang on.

I've uploaded the presets (you'll need to import a tone match IR into a user cab for the second preset), the tone match IR's and the Drive block (run Drive block -> tone match IR to emulate the Sansamp) here. The dual guitar/bass preset has loads of CPU spare if you want to add more effects too :)

Attachments

• Ragdoll Bass 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Sansamp All Knobs Noon.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Sansamp Tone Match.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Ragdoll Bass 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Ragdoll Guitar (1) & Bass (2).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Ragdoll Guitar & Bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Sansamp_20180823_214701.blk
    336 bytes · Views: 87
  • Ryan Rafferty Funky Bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 81
This is great. I find multi band compressors kind of essential on bass to keep the lows intact and steady while letting the mids and highs crunch up when played harder by placing them before drives and amps. Helps overdriven tones not to fart out as well. Then again I'm going for a fairly mix ready, plug and play tone.

This is great. I find multi band compressors kind of essential on bass to keep the lows intact and steady while letting the mids and highs crunch up when played harder by placing them before drives and amps. Helps overdriven tones not to fart out as well. Then again I'm going for a fairly mix ready, plug and play tone.

That's really interesting and something I need to try Any recommendations?

That's really interesting and something I need to try Any recommendations?
Right now on my live "analog" rig (which I'm dying to swap out for the Axe Fx III and a decent MIDI board), I'm running a TC Electronic Spectracomp with the crossovers set at 250hz and 650hz.

The low end is pretty much clamped down and almost limited with a fast attack and release - as fast as I could go before audible distortion. The mids and highs I've set to a fairly smooth compression at a 3:1 ratio, medium attack and release for a general level of consistency and I'm compressing 4-5db but with the blend set to 50 or 60% wet. The great thing about this is the even response from string to string. I've always felt like the D and G strings were too thin sounding on my Jazz and P Basses and this definitely evens it out to the point that the you'd get a fairly solid low end even on higher strings and higher notes. I find it even helps to make sure certain notes don't pop out on the lower frequencies and fart out the amp or drive pedal.

I imagine you could set this up with the multiband compressor block on the Axe Fx fairly easily. One of these days, I'm gonna actually get around to making a preset of it rather than just playing around with all the options I probably don't need. Do let us know your results if you try this.

Also, check out the Andy Sneap multiband trick - It's a fairly common practice in a lot of mixes now. A quick Google search should hook you up.

im new to fractal and your videos are excellent. i am exactly where Ryan is with understanding tonematching. are there any videos that explain this in more detail?

Back
Top Bottom