Bass + comp/limiter + AxeFx II?

nikki-k

Experienced
Hi!
Hopefully going the Axe II route. I play bass, guitar, and keys, and will likely want to use the Axe for those (and vocals maybe, lol).
I can be a bit sloppy at times, and with a digital unit, I am concerned about overs. What are you guys using (if anything) to prevent those stray spikes from ruining an otherwise great take? Pedal? I used to love the DBX 160XT I had, but since it is line level in, I would either need a DI in front of that, or place it as an insert with the Axe.. but that would put it after the ADC (I think?), and thus not provide the protection I am after.

For those that answer "pedal," which one(s) do you like most? Once "protected," I was planning to use one of the Axe compressors; favorites for bass? Any 160 series type(s)?
Thx!

(AxeI)
I plug my bass directly into the front input.
I do get a spikey signal sometimes (when using a pick), but the Axe handles that without a problem.
besides, the compressors inside the Axe are quite hard to beat and you'd have to spend quite some $$$ just to get the same quality.

Yep, I just put the compressor as the first block in my preset chain and it stops the spikes like a champ. The compressors in the Axe are excellent.

Yeah I remember when he added that to the gen 1 firmware for the first time. That and the Auto setting. The auto setting works so well, I haven't really ever found a reason to not use it.

Back
Top Bottom