Basement Studio

lwknives

Power User
So, I am thinking about building a studio/home theater/band area in my basement! It is currently unfinished and is shaped like the attached picture.
I am looking for opinions on how to best use this space. I will either soundproof and apply acoustic treatment to the whole basement area or build a room in the basement that is sized according to the "golden ratio" IE 8'x12.8'x18.64'. The advantage of using a "golden ratio" room would of course be a flatter more accurate listening experience, I would be able to get room symmetry nearly perfect, speaker placement just right ect... but I would loose a lot of space for moving around, having a band set up, using the room as an extra living area ect...
so, how cramped is a 13x18 foot room? I dont have a band right now so its kind of hard to visualize for me.
How much difference is there going to be between a well treated space that is big, unsymmetrical, and not "gold ratio" vs a symmetrical gold ratio room.
If you had this space how would you use it?

IMG_2913.JPG

I have a couple of thoughts.

In addition to thinking about how you will use the space, (i.e. where you are going to put things), you might give some thought to how you are going to utilize the studio (what and how do you intend on recording). If you are going to do a lot of live recording (vocals, acoustic guitars, violins, etc) then you will need to build an acoustic environment for that purpose (i.e. vocal/acoustic booth).

If you plan on mixing, then you will need a space for your "sweet spot" between your reference monitors. The space next to the ledge might be a good spot for the vocal booth. If you plan on using acoustic drums, then you will need some kind of sound shield, or consider recording a scratch track, then recording the keeper drums first. After you have the drum tracks, then you can go back and work on the the other instrument tracks. If you are going for the "live band" recording, then instrument bleed might become a real headache when you try to mix it. My home studio (Electric Geezerland) is designed for recording individual tracks, mixing and mastering. I do not have enough room to do the live band thing. I have recorded, mixed and mastered music for my personal enjoyment, as well as commercial release.

You should also think about what you intend to do with the recordings. Is it just for personal satisfaction? Demo projects? Commercial release? Those are very different outcomes, but worth considering when you are designing your studio. I think musicians generally hate to talk about this stuff, but you should also give some thought to your budget. Looking at the bigger budget picture will help you when the inevitable compromises rear their ugly head.

As far as a band space, I suggest considering a Jam Hub and electric drums, (unless you have a huge band). It's easy on the rest of the family, and you can dial in a pretty good mix. Just my $0.02. You are welcome to PM me if you have some specific questions.

Maybe studio is not the best way to describe what I want. I actually dont really plan on doing any serious recording. I will mostly use this space to practice, create presets, jam with other musicians and watch movies with my family. In order of hours spent in the room it would probably be; practice, movies, making presets, goofing around, maybe recording or something. I also want to learn drums so it will have a permanently set up Edrum kit. Also because I will be using this as the family movie room it will have couches.
The main thing I want is phenomenal, jaw dropping, detailed, clear sound that can get loud enough to thump you in the chest. Is the "golden ratio" stuff worth cutting out more than half the square feet of the basement?

Budget isn't to big of a deal because I am doing all the work myself, including framing, electrical, bass traps, Sheetrock. I just have to pay material cost.

Is the "golden ratio" stuff worth cutting out more than half the square feet of the basement?
Perhaps you should ask your wife? You don't want to end up like John Wayne Bobbitt, (aka "Shorty").

Room dimensions are important as sound is a physical wave and how it reflects can have a pretty dramatic effect on how the sound is perceived. Good acoustic treatment will be pretty important, but I advise not to make the space too "dead" so you retain that band in the room feel.

How much difference is there going to be between a well treated space that is big, unsymmetrical, and not "gold ratio" vs a symmetrical gold ratio room.
You want to do a lot of different things, and you have limited space. Jamming with a band will eat up every square inch you have planned, and it will probably still feel cramped. Doing that in in any kind of "perfectly symmetrical" way is a pipe dream. And you want to add bass traps—and couch(es!). And presumably a TV (look at everything you want to put in that space, and consider whether your family will actually enjoy watching movies there).

Flush that golden ratio idea out of your head. :) Physical space is your first consideration. First, figure out how much space you actually have available, including what other spaces have to coexist with it in your basement, and how people will get from one space to another, and how much space the doors will take up when they're opened and closed. Then design your room to the available space.

Given how you want to use the space, acoustic treatment will take you farther than room ratios or symmetry.

Make it as huge as possible- and don't plan where things will go... because you'll change it 100 times- just have the space to grow/move/expand when needed

Perhaps you should ask your wife? You don't want to end up like John Wayne Bobbitt, (aka "Shorty").

Room dimensions are important as sound is a physical wave and how it reflects can have a pretty dramatic effect on how the sound is perceived. Good acoustic treatment will be pretty important, but I advise not to make the space too "dead" so you retain that band in the room feel.

Definitely asked the wife first! She is on board with whatever!

if the basement is below ground level, then soundproofing the walls will pretty much be a waste of time - it's the ceiling you will need to soundproof

You don't show the direction of the stairs or what's in the other areas. I personally don't like the location you have selected, but based on the limited info, maybe you have no other choice.

The location that is selected is in the lower right of your drawing. Is it possible to use the upper right section and build off the right side of the stairs so that the room begins at the very top of your drawing and comes down to the bottom of the stairs as drawn and is as wide as the right side of the stars to the right side of your drawing.

Based on your drawing, that would give you approximately 15' wide by 21' long.

The location selected is the biggest area that doesn't have a support beam or other restrictions. The stairs start at the top of the drawing and come down towards the center, the right side of the stairs are 13 ft from the right wall. I could widen the room to 16ft and run it the entire length of the basement but that would make it impossible to have symetrical speaker placement. Plus you would have beams out in the room.

I am willing to loose some space if it makes a big difference in sound quality. I can always do band practice in the garage so that's not a huge consideration. I am planning on making light weight futon couches that can be easily slid out of the way.
From a usability standpoint the extra space would be very nice though. Would I be able to get a top of the line sound through acoustic treatment alone?

Would I be able to get a top of the line sound through acoustic treatment alone?
If you want top-of-the-line sound for family entertainment, don't have a drum kit or other gear that will reflect sound, add resonances, displace speakers, or otherwise break up the symmetry. If you want good, clear, enjoyable sound in multiple uses of a restricted space, then maximize the space, rely on acoustic treatment, and build in what symmetry you can. Symmetry will become meaningless during a jam.

If you want top-of-the-line sound for family entertainment, don't have a drum kit or other gear that will reflect sound, add resonances, displace speakers, or otherwise break up the symmetry. If you want good, clear, enjoyable sound in multiple uses of a restricted space, then maximize the space, rely on acoustic treatment, and build in what symmetry you can. Symmetry will become meaningless during a jam.

Is an Ekit going to have that much influence on the sound?
I'm definitely not aiming to have the best jam space ever with this space, it would be a nice second use. I will most likely set my PA up in the garage anyway.

No, an e-kit won't be hugely intrusive, but having a station for drums, another for guitar, along with other users for the space, will throw off any planned symmetry.

"Most likely" putting your PA in the garage isn't the same as definitely doing that. :) i think it'd be a good idea to decide now how you're going to purpose the room. Draw a plan to scale, and arrange your gear in the drawing. After you do that, some of your decisions will make themselves.

Yep! Totally below grade so I'm just soundproofing the ceiling.

Some food for thought on just doing the ceiling....

First of all, where are you located? If you are in New England, I recommend calling Lou Clark at Sonic Space.
I wanted a sound proof rehearsal / recording room in my basement. Lou came down and did a design for me, and also found me someone to build it (Lou worked with him as well).
My basement is like yours, below grade and large concrete foundation walls.

A ceiling hung with wave guides (that stop vibration from transferring from the ceiling, to the floor joists above it) are very important.
But walls that do not touch other 'wood' on the frame of the house is very important too.
If your wall rehearsal room framing (2x4 or 2x6) touches the house framing 2x4 or 2x6...OR touches the ceiling joists above, the sound will transfer upstairs.
The walls in my room do not touch the concrete wall foundation (there is a 6" gap)....they just touch the ceiling (which only touches the 'house' using wave guides mentioned above). The goal was/is to stop any vibration from the walls or ceiling in my room, from transferring to any part of the house. It's as close to a free standing box as you can get....and it works!

I've never head of that golden ration. But I have traps/treatments on my wall and it sounds perfect in there.

Full hard rock band rehearsal with bashing drums....baby asleep 2 floors above.
Best money I ever spent.

Some food for thought on just doing the ceiling....

First of all, where are you located? If you are in New England, I recommend calling Lou Clark at Sonic Space.
I wanted a sound proof rehearsal / recording room in my basement. Lou came down and did a design for me, and also found me someone to build it (Lou worked with him as well).
My basement is like yours, below grade and large concrete foundation walls.

A ceiling hung with wave guides (that stop vibration from transferring from the ceiling, to the floor joists above it) are very important.
But walls that do not touch other 'wood' on the frame of the house is very important too.
If your wall rehearsal room framing (2x4 or 2x6) touches the house framing 2x4 or 2x6...OR touches the ceiling joists above, the sound will transfer upstairs.
The walls in my room do not touch the concrete wall foundation (there is a 6" gap)....they just touch the ceiling (which only touches the 'house' using wave guides mentioned above). The goal was/is to stop any vibration from the walls or ceiling in my room, from transferring to any part of the house. It's as close to a free standing box as you can get....and it works!

I've never head of that golden ration. But I have traps/treatments on my wall and it sounds perfect in there.

Full hard rock band rehearsal with bashing drums....baby asleep 2 floors above.
Best money I ever spent.
Thanks for the info! I'm in the states and will have to do all the work myself, but this info is great!

New England is part of the states. :). Might not be close to you, though.

Maybe he read it too fast....

To be more clear....I'm in Boston. Lou Clark is in New Hampshire.

If you have any other questions, PM me. I learned a ton from Lou because I ask a lot of questions.

So take it from someone who has built one room below grade and currently building a more difficult room close to neighbors in an outbuilding.

Get some folks together and just jam in the space and have your wife or someone else critique the noise. In my basement the noise wwent up to the third floor of the house because I had flanking issues all over. It was not acceptable.

You might be able to get by with several layers of drywall with whisper clips instead of the full room within a room isolation. The size space you are talking about you want to keep as much space as possible.

Check out the Soundproofing company website. I have found them to be immensely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom