Baritone guitar?

I play baritones almost exclusively. If you are interested in getting one I'd suggest you try to find a few with different scale lengths that you can try out before you buy. You may want something that feels close to a regular guitar at around 27", or you may fall in love with something that feels almost like a different instrument at 28 7/8 - 30" (6 string bass territory). It also depends what you want to tune to. I love the standard B to B baritone tuning; it's like having the lower 6 strings of a 7 string (never was a 7 string guy). I personally haven't really liked any lower than that, but maybe you would.

Overall, the market for baritones kind of sucks right now. Once you dip your foot in and get a feel for what you want in a baritone, you may very well end up designing a custom one with a builder, because there just aren't that many options on the new market. If you want to go used, there are definitely some very cool, unique guitars to be had, they're just sometimes hard to find. I have an eBay email reminder set for the search "baritone", even though I already have two :)

I've got a Michael Kelly Baritone that I've had for several years now.
Patriot LoBoy

Stock pickups are great. Well balanced 28". I tried an Epiphone and it was NOT well balanced. Not only are the baritone guitars hard to come by, getting the strings as a single set can also be challenging.

I love my 30" scale 9 stringers! Fret spacing took longer to get used to than more strings hehehe.

I've got a Michael Kelly Baritone that I've had for several years now.
Patriot LoBoy

Stock pickups are great. Well balanced 28". I tried an Epiphone and it was NOT well balanced. Not only are the baritone guitars hard to come by, getting the strings as a single set can also be challenging.

On the LoBoy... is it relatively easy to remove that flame thing or would that require a completely different bridge?

Also, are you referring to the Epiphone baritone les paul? I've been eyeing those for a while. How did you find it to be unbalanced?

Last edited:
I have the Epiphone Les Paul baritone, which I bought via craigslist a couple months ago. Pickups are stock. I like it a lot, especially thru the AXE FX II - although, like any other bari guitar I've played, it can get pretty thick and muddy on some chord voicings at the nut. The neck feels comfortable, and the string spacing isn't too close together. It's a little neck-heavy if I'm playing it sitting with no strap, but if I have it on a strap, it's fine.

After I had had the Epi for a while, I chanced across a PRS Mike Mushock that was at the local GC. I noodled through an orange rockerverb 50 - it was very nice, but not enough different/better to consider ditching the Les Paul - it seemed lighter than the les paul bari, though. If they still have it, I might take the LP there in a few weeks, and compare them back-to-back and see if I think it's worth the switch.

I also have a Taylor 8-string baritone acoustic, which I have played for a year and a half, and love it. However, I had a lot of work done on it to optimize the setup for me, including lightening up the string sizes, and so the octaves don't go out of tune as I play up the neck, plus it's more capo friendly (I like taking advantage of open strings and partial capos). The lighter strings work better when I tune it at C instead of the B tuning from the factory, although a lot of my friends find it a bit "rubbery" as far as string tension goes.

On the LoBoy... is it relatively easy to remove that flame thing or would that require a completely different bridge?

Also, are you referring to the Epiphone baritone les paul? I've been eyeing those for a while. How did you find it to be unbalanced?

I just took it out of the case. The flame thingy is integrated into the bridge. All one piece. If you took it off, there would be exposed screw holes you'd have to cover up.
Unbalanced meaning neck heavy when sitting down. Pickups aren't muddy even at the nut. I don't play it much currently, but it is one that I will never sell. Easy adjustment from standard guitar.

I have an LTD VB400 Baritione and I love it! It was quite cheap, but it sounds very good, I especially love such large guitars because I'm a very tall guy. It's really sad that there are so little Baritone guitars out there!

The best baritone guitar I ever played was a Tom Anderson "Baritom".
I saw a used one on The Gear Page Classifieds a couple months back
for $1500. Crazy good price. Wished I'd had the money!

Ive only got one baritone, i saw this review in Guitar World recently about a Jericho Guitar, its a 27" scale with a Gibson neck angle and a flatish radius and some great woods. I think they also did a GW video review of "The Avenger". The guitar rips, it has Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge so the saturation is killer when i load it up in my rig and flip the gain on hard. I actually string it up with regular strings and tune to Drop C, it sounds sooo money you should try it out if you see one at the store or something, check out a photo off their page:

avengerWhiteFrontBody.png

The only main difference is the neck. You could buy a baritone neck and convert an existing guitar or get a luthier to make one for you if you know one. Good luck with it. I think they're great.

I have an LTD VB400 Baritione and I love it! It was quite cheap, but it sounds very good, I especially love such large guitars because I'm a very tall guy. It's really sad that there are so little Baritone guitars out there!

+1 on the LTD VB's. I have one of their first run VB300's and it's stellar. I have in in C standard (down 2 whole steps) and it sounds great. I had it in good ol' E standard tuning for awhile and because of the extra string tension it sounded so damned stable. Great guitar.

Nah you guys are missing the small company thats doing it right, Jericho Guitars. They are out of Texas. Check out the Guitar World video review of it, you will see

Back
Top Bottom