Band is now all Axe-fx for guitars

It is really hard to beat the PreSonus 24.4.1 board for features and money.

In a direct A/B to the Mackie Onyx, the PreSonus preamps are noticeably more open and punchy to me.

Everything on the Fat Channel, all 24 inputs, HPF, Gate, Comp, Limiter, EQ, is very usable. This is the first consumer type board I've used where the channel EQ and Comp are the real deal.

My only downside is the back lighting is hard to see in sunlight. I did an outdoor gig recently under an awning and was still cupping my hand over the board to read the settings.

Richard

In a direct A/B to the Mackie Onyx, the PreSonus preamps are noticeably more open and punchy to me.

Everything on the Fat Channel, all 24 inputs, HPF, Gate, Comp, Limiter, EQ, is very usable. This is the first consumer type board I've used where the channel EQ and Comp are the real deal.

My only downside is the back lighting is hard to see in sunlight. I did an outdoor gig recently under an awning and was still cupping my hand over the board to read the settings.

Richard

I wish you didn't need a computer for the ipad stuff. It would be nice just to use a wifi hotspot.

I wish you didn't need a computer for the ipad stuff. It would be nice just to use a wifi hotspot.

Same here, but is it because of permission (permission who is are eligible to connect to the board) stuff? I'm not too sure of the presonus as I just started to read up on it.

Same here, but is it because of permission (permission who is are eligible to connect to the board) stuff? I'm not too sure of the presonus as I just started to read up on it.

I never thought of that. I suppose if you didn't have some sort of permissions list, anybody in the bar with an iphone could screw with your mix.

I never thought of that. I suppose if you didn't have some sort of permissions list, anybody in the bar with an iphone could screw with your mix.

not if you secured your wifi connection with a passcode. Plus they would have to have the app. Plus you could setup the perssions in firmware on the mixer itself. I just dont think it has the brains for it on the mixer.

Richard

The Presonus is nice. But without moving faders it's not as useful to me as it could be. We use a Yamaha O1V96. When we call up each mix (we use 4) the faders jump to their positions and even a drummer can tell where the level is set for each input before he starts moving stuff.

The Presonus requires you to move the fader into position manually to start adjusting. Not a huge deal, but not quite idiot proof either.

Really any digital board with enough aux sends is WAY better than relying on a house sound guy for monitors. Even in major league venues, With really well experienced monitor engineers, unless the monitor guy is traveling with the band and knows specifically what each performer likes to hear, Its really hard to get a good set of mixes in a reasonable time.

We even fly with our monitor rack ... its that big of a deal to us.

The Presonus is nice. But without moving faders it's not as useful to me as it could be. We use a Yamaha O1V96. When we call up each mix (we use 4) the faders jump to their positions and even a drummer can tell where the level is set for each input before he starts moving stuff.

The Presonus requires you to move the fader into position manually to start adjusting. Not a huge deal, but not quite idiot proof either.

Really any digital board with enough aux sends is WAY better than relying on a house sound guy for monitors. Even in major league venues, With really well experienced monitor engineers, unless the monitor guy is traveling with the band and knows specifically what each performer likes to hear, Its really hard to get a good set of mixes in a reasonable time.

We even fly with our monitor rack ... its that big of a deal to us.

however, the way we would be using it, it wouldn't matter. We would have ipads/iphones that have virtual faders for each one of our mixes. Each person can do their own mix wirelessly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom