Backup gear for AX8

Albion

Inspired
Hi guys,
is it better an Atomic Ampli Firebox or a Cerberus nux as a backup mini rig for AX8?

Firebox is my vote. Has some nice tones, if you can deal with the crappy mini toggle interface.....

Atomic AFB
Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 Brit
Recently purchased a Boss Katana 100 head which I like but will need to buy a 2 x 12" cab before my buddy stops lending me his.
Still using the AX8 about 90% of the time though.
Just fun to experiment & try different rigs and have a soft spot of Roland/Boss gear.

Current backup/lightweight jam rig is an AFB with a Boss MS-3.

The AFB is a frustrating device in that it sounds very good and has a perfect form factor, but doesn't live up to it's potential due to some IMO very odd software design choices. It will only save two settings, and those are permanently altered if you accidentally touch a knob.

If you have the mindset of treating it as a single amp with a pseudo-shared set of controls for its two channels, you'll get along with it. If you have a background using other modellers, you may find yourself tearing your hair out and wondering whether you should eBay it on a regular basis.

I still have it because I haven't found something as small with a better design.

Last edited:
That Ampli-Firebox looks so great, and $300 is reasonable. I've been thinking of getting one for a backup rig, to pair with a Line 6 M9 and SDD-3000 pedal that I already have. I think it would cover all the bases (most effects coming from the M9, delays from the SDD, amp/cab/reverb from the Firebox).

Flyrig, Amplifirebox, Mooer GE-200, Mooer Micro pre's, AMT amp in a box pedals.

I use a Mooer Baby Bomb and a Mooer UK Gold preamp with an AB switch right on my board. Takes up about the same space as an expression pedal and sounds unbelievable. 30 watts of clean, dirty and boost. I have actually gigged with just that. lol

I love my Ampli-Firebox, so it gets my vote as a good backup gear as well!

154960.jpg

I have the FlyRig 5 Ritcie Kotzen model as my backup. I don't want to use presets with a backup (I would never get them updated anyway), so the simplicity and the accessability of the Flyrig is perfect for me.

Mooer GE-200

Here in Spain people is very excited about this tiny and affordable piece of gear because it can load third party IRs among other things but I can resist de rush for new products, my modus operandi is to wait a couple of years till de dust settles.

Last edited:
I need something very small to be able to mount it in the pedalboard with AX8 and my 3 expr pedals :)
So it would be always ready!
how big is that pedal board? Keeping it mounted o same board would need a big board and it would be heavy. Firebox or FlyRig is best solution imo

Back
Top Bottom