AxeFx2 - Pitch Effect 2 steps down

Man, sounded so natural. You couldn't even tell that it was "shifted".

So much more pumped to get mine now, and try it with some ultra low tunings.

I did the same thing tuning from Dropped Bb up to Dropped D and it sounded muuuuuch better than my Ultra used to... still not 100% perfect pitching that far up but it did sound much better... At 1/2 step all even a full step I could not hear any "warble" whatsoever... but 2 steps up there was a bit of "warble," definitely not as much as the Ultra...

I remember you saying that the Ultra didn't sound as good as your Elmwood... how does the Axe-fx II compare to the Elmwood? And how does the Axe-fx II compare to the H&K Zentera Combo that you claim is "still the best modeling amp - IMHO"?

Last edited:
I can still tell its shifted done synthetically. Just enough to still bother me. Would be interesting if you did back to back downtuning with the variax tuning vs the AXE and have people guess. I suspect it would be pretty obvious but who knows?

Yup... shifting messes with the overtones, but it's pretty good. Best I've heard using standard pickups (blows away my G-System). I'm not sure it really can be done perfectly.

It can't be done perfectly since time and frequency are intrinsically related.

Its very good as it is - yesterday a tube lover checked my II and was impressed. He prefered the two steps down from the Axe over the two steps down in the Variax.

The Variax advantage is that it can change the pitch for each string eg to create open or droped tunings.

I notice some latency with the 'dropped tuning' factory preset.
Probably just a matter of adjusting the tracking.

Its very good as it is - yesterday a tube lover checked my II and was impressed. He prefered the two steps down from the Axe over the two steps down in the Variax.

The Variax advantage is that it can change the pitch for each string eg to create open or droped tunings.

Interesting. If you get a chance could you record them? I know I prefer the pitch shifting of my Roland GR-55 to the Axe so I assumed the Variax would be the same.

I did the same thing tuning from Dropped Bb up to Dropped D and it sounded muuuuuch better than my Ultra used to... still not 100% perfect pitching that far up but it did sound much better... At 1/2 step all even a full step I could not hear any "warble" whatsoever... but 2 steps up there was a bit of "warble," definitely not as much as the Ultra...

I remember you saying that the Ultra didn't sound as good as your Elmwood... how does the Axe-fx II compare to the Elmwood? And how does the Axe-fx II compare to the H&K Zentera Combo that you claim is "still the best modeling amp - IMHO"?

Is it really THAT better than Ultra ? Can you tell the difference really ? I'm using Ultra to drop down from drop D to drop C for some songs, and while it's good enough for live, and saves me form having second guitar just for that tuning, it still has some notable latency for fast riffing.

Is it really THAT better than Ultra ? Can you tell the difference really ? I'm using Ultra to drop down from drop D to drop C for some songs, and while it's good enough for live, and saves me form having second guitar just for that tuning, it still has some notable latency for fast riffing.

Latency is just about the same as far as I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom