AxeFX III: What's Missing?

Sure, wireless is cool. But dumping the wonderful giant screen, so we can have a bare bones faced one or two rack with a wireless phone connection gimmick is just ludicrous, and would UN-sell me.

I certainly haven't suggested that, so I assume you're referring to other people. Dumping or reducing the front panel screen would be a terrible idea.

a popular accompaniment to "put wireless in" has been make it not-3u. :D smaller screen, no screen, whatever.

Ah. Yeah, I'm not in that camp. That screen is beautiful and I have an extra space in my rack. Add wireless control and my GAS is gone forever. Until the Axe FX IV. ;)

Either you do not follow IT security news, or we assess them very differently.

Which is precisely why, all else being equal, adding a new communication system makes a device less secure by definition.

Yes there is, because (differently from tweaking knobs or plugging a USB cable in) there is no practical way to limit physical use of this communication channel.

Basically those statements are all just various ways of saying "doesn't happen automatically/regularly/too often, didn't happen to me yet, so it's not a real problem". But that doesn't stand logical/statistical scrutiny. Which is fine for decisions that only affect your own life, but I try to avoid software and/or devices designed with this attitude (including the payment systems you mention). Unfortunately it is all too common, but that does not make it right.

I follow IT security news very carefully and have been for many decades. I say that the state of wireless security is such that adding Bluetooth (that would be my protocol of choice for something like this, same as what's in the Eventide H9) would not be a massive security problem and can be made reasonably secure to the point that it's potential exposure is minimum compared to the convenience of wireless editing on something like an iPad.

Are you really saying that you think wireless security are soo bad that users shouldn't even be given the choice to enable it?

Be great if we could have a built in Holographic Orthopedic surgeon\rheumatologist ............with voluptuous nurse of course ;)

Just a voluptuous nurse would be nice !
Some of these "connect to my phone" guys - don't realize this is a professional unit. Steve Vai and Metallica band members aren't exactly worried about connectivity with their iPhone during a show.

The fact that the III is still affordable enough to attract home studio musicians , and small club artists , opens up a multitude of requests to fit those situations. ( Which is understandable , since the majority of sales will likely come from this group )

...I'm just glad it doesn't cost more money , .... because it could !

The logic is simple.

This is something some think is missing and posted in thread titled "what's missing"

I don't understand the logic in the select few whom feel they have to challenge another's opinion because they disagree with it.

Is it so hard to simply say, I don't need that option and move on?

It's gets old when every time you post, the same few reply forcing you to defend your opinion lol....
Ok... You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I've already stated that I think some form of editing via a wireless tablet would be great.

The post I replied to was specifically about "motivation to upgrade". I didn't say anything about what was missing.

I follow IT security news very carefully and have been for many decades. I say that the state of wireless security is such that adding Bluetooth (that would be my protocol of choice for something like this, same as what's in the Eventide H9) would not be a massive security problem and can be made reasonably secure to the point that it's potential exposure is minimum compared to the convenience of wireless editing on something like an iPad.
As I tried to make clear, I cannot (and don't want to) argue against your opinions and your choices. I have argued against presenting them as factual, in the sense that "there is no problem".

Are you really saying that you think wireless security are soo bad that users shouldn't even be given the choice to enable it?
I don't think I *ever* said such a thing. I said that (apart from other detrimental effects, IMO), it adds security problems, and that *I* am happy that there is no wireless or Bluetooth capability on the Axe-Fx III (as of official info now). Just as I would be happy to learn that there is no wireless control of intensive care equipment, convenient as it may be for medical staff.

I guess that a good part of our disagreement stems from the fact that I have a strong dislike for the idea of even more centralization of control and data to any iOS or Android device. These devices (more particularly, the operating systems) are designed or at least happen to control the user, as opposed to the other way round. And the tradeoff always comes in the guise of "convenience".

...I have a strong dislike for the idea of even more centralization of control and data to any iOS or Android device. These devices (more particularly, the operating systems) are designed or at least happen to control the user, as opposed to the other way round. And the tradeoff always comes in the guise of "convenience".
A man after my own heart. :)

The main thing missing is an availability notice in my email. Besides that, I think I’ll wait until it gets here to compare the experience to the XL+, which was pretty awesome. Personally, I’m not limited by the interface in my use, but do look forward to a bigger screen for the odd times I need to invent something on the fly. Considering the buy in is pretty much what I paid for the XL+ I am already getting more. The much anticipated Tri-Chorus will be cool, as Mark’s demo showed!

Thanks to all for the interesting reading. Always cool to find out how others use, or want to use, their Axe Fx.

Last edited:
I have a strong dislike for the idea of even more centralization of control and data to any iOS or Android device. These devices (more particularly, the operating systems) are designed or at least happen to control the user, as opposed to the other way round. And the tradeoff always comes in the guise of "convenience".

Well put! I'm also against this for reasons you state, plus I would see it as an inconvenience, not a convenience. I'm trying to reduce - not increase - pieces of equipment in my set-up.

I have my cell phone off most of the time. The radiation is small but still unhealthy over the course of years (scientists are already warning us). Plus onstage or in the rehearsal room it's one more device that can fail, break, freeze or run out of power. I would not choose to use it to control the axe, and would not buy any product that worked only via cell phone.

Well put! I'm also against this for reasons you state, plus I would see it as an inconvenience, not a convenience. I'm trying to reduce - not increase - pieces of equipment in my set-up.

I have my cell phone off most of the time. The radiation is small but still unhealthy over the course of years (scientists are already warning us). Plus onstage or in the rehearsal room it's one more device that can fail, break, freeze or run out of power. I would not choose to use it to control the axe, and would not buy any product that worked only via cell phone.

Who said anything about HAVING to use wireless capability if it had it? We're talking about an additional option for those that would like to use it. If you didn't want to use it, then there would (optimally) be an option to turn off wifi/bluetooth. Everyone is happy!

I guess what it comes down to is what the small development team will spend time on. Wireless is a significant undertaking if you want to do it well. Mobile apps for two platforms is another one. Neither have been done by FAS before, AFAIK. So they will have to stop working on whatever they are doing now and start this new stuff.

Obviously, each and every one of us has his or her own idea about what’s more important and what isn’t. I personally would prefer that they focus on core stuff for now. Like having functionality for the new controllers that at least matches what MFC had.

Not that anyone asked me what to do, of course. :)

Back
Top Bottom