AxeFx-II Delay vs M-9

mmcm4

Inspired
I'm currently on the list for an AxeFX-II and I was wondering how flexible the delays are. One of my favorite pieces of gear has been the line6 m9 and I've loved several of the delays. I keep debating wether to keep my m9 in the effects loop as a security blanket of sorts. Has anyone owned both an Axe and an M series pedal that would be willing to comment on the similarities and differences of the delays? I'm particularly fond of the low res delay and analog models. If anyone could comment, that would be really helpful.

The m series stuff is in the pod hd's, I used an hd500 for a while between selling my ultra and getting my II and I can tell you With absolute assurance that the effects, including any and all iterations of delay blow the m series away. You have total control over how lofi or pristine you want a delay to sound, plus the routing capabilities in the axe can achieve things the m series can only dream of.

if you are a tape simulation kind of guy, then you'll be very interested in some of the new tape delay presets with quick controls on the A/B/C/D knobs. FAS has taken a big step forward in this area. I would bet that just about EVERYTHING in the AxeFxII will help you forget about Line6 for keeps.

I'm currently on the list for an AxeFX-II and I was wondering how flexible the delays are.

download the manual and take a look at the delay block.
or, even better, DL and install AxeEdit and check it out. (eyes only obviously)

and there are a few recordings of delay presets here in the recording section (Axe I and Axe II)

The m-series delays are easier to dial in but no where near as versatile. You are basically limited to the delay types modeled. With the axe-fx II you can shape you delays in many more ways. I much prefer the delays on the II to my hd500, or the m13 I had prior to that. That being said, dialing up delays can be simpler on the M9 (you have a much smaller set of parameters to tweak) - not that it is very hard on the II.

As has been said, you might want to keep both for a time to help you dial in your favorite delay sounds.

I have an M13 as well as an Axe-FX. There's room for both of them IMO. I rarely use them together as they both have their own thing going for them. If I'm jamming and want to be creative with sounds, M13 all the way. You can dial in really interesting sounds amazingly fast. If I stumble upon something I like, I'll usually recreate it in the Axe-FX. The Axe-FX sound will almost always be better, but it takes a lot more time to dial it in. The Axe II will be easier in that regard, but still not nearly as easy as the M series.

As for the delays, I doubt there is anything in the M series that you can't get with the Axe II. The II will allow you to go further with it as well. Once you get the delay basically copied, you can refine it even further and likely achieve a better result than what you had in the M9.

I would keep the M9 for a year at least though. After the Axe II honeymoon wears off, you may find that you still have uses for it.

D

Axe delays are much better quality...night and day IMO. line 6 are more simple to use, but still are very usuable

As it has been mentioned before, line6 are much easier/faster use.

I have been considering putting my m13 in the loop fx, because I really like to mess up with multiple delays, turning knobs (dj style haha) but hopefully the quick control knobs may be handy for that…

What's a bit of a pest is that if you put pedals in the fx loop, then you can't use it for having two sends: one with cab sims (FOH) and another without cab sims (amp+cab on stage)

that's what I thought about a few analog & digital delay pedals, but I'm selling them all now.

I've sold most of mine, but there are a few that I've found reasons to hold onto. I don't use them in conjunction with the Axe-FX typically, but they still see service in other rigs. I've found that I like to keep a small amp rig set up at home for when something strikes me and I also like to have a small to medium amp rig that can travel for grab-and-go gigs or jams.

I've thought about selling my M13 a few times, but I just can't let go of it. It's too useful for too many things. I have used it along with the Axe-FX for a few gigs where I needed to get effects heavy or where I needed some crazy sound that I had created in the M13 that I didn't want to spend the time recreating in the Axe-FX.

For those that are say the Axe delays are better, what does that really mean? I see delays as different, and certainly some are better for one thing than another, but to say that the delays in the Axe are better than the ones in the M series doesn't make any sense to me. They're just different. Sure, the Axe is vastly more customizable, but that can be as much of a curse as a blessing. When I want to dial in this perfect delay that I hear in my head just the way I want it, I grab the Axe-FX. When I want to quickly go through a bunch of delay sounds looking for something that inspires me or fits what I'm looking for, I grab the M13.

To the OP, if you don't need to sell it for financial reasons, keep it for a good long while. You may find that it's really more useful for some things than you thought it would be. You might want a B rig, a backup rig, a small amp rig, you may need some weird little sound in it for one tune at a gig, etc.

D

With the axe-fx II you can shape you delays in many more ways. I much prefer the delays on the II to my hd500, or the m13 I had prior to that. That being said, dialing up delays can be simpler on the M9 (you have a much smaller set of parameters to tweak) - not that it is very hard on the II.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm definitely gonna hang on to my M9 for convenience and when I need something quick and simple. I play a lot of Hillsong and Jesus Culture which currently uses a lot of gritty analog sounding delays, so getting that tone is my main concern.

Javajunkie, I noticed in your AxeFX-II rig picture you had a new Timeline. Out of curiosity, how does it compare? Is it on your board more for simplicity and tweak ability? I feel like it's harder to tweak during rehearsal with the AxeFX-II than if you had a delay pedal at your feet

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm definitely gonna hang on to my M9 for convenience and when I need something quick and simple. I play a lot of Hillsong and Jesus Culture which currently uses a lot of gritty analog sounding delays, so getting that tone is my main concern.

Javajunkie, I noticed in your AxeFX-II rig picture you had a new Timeline. Out of curiosity, how does it compare? Is it on your board more for simplicity and tweak ability? I feel like it's harder to tweak during rehearsal with the AxeFX-II than if you had a delay pedal at your feet

Its on my board so I can dial in some the presets I like on the II :) Both the II and Timeline are great! The Timeline is a bit better for real time tweaking. You can do a lot more with modifiers in the axe-fx. Accessing all the parameters is easier on the Axe-fx
Hint on getting the hillsong delay - be sure to put it before the amp.

Back
Top Bottom