AxeFx 2 Does Hotel California Solo Harmonies VIDEO

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
Here's a version of the Hotel California main solo. All the harmonies are in realtime using the Custom scales in the pitch block. I used 6 different scales in 4 presets. The arpeggios at the end are utilizing the x/y of two presets. The first preset in the solo is using the phaser and 1 harmony. You can switch these a million different ways using miss and the MFC101. I set my MFC basically for default settings except I programmed my Trem I/A as the Pitch X/Y. So if you watch the video it shows where to do the changes. I was able to easily do the changes with the foot controller however because it is hard enough to make a video and play I decided to use Logic to do all the changes (X/Y, program changes and bypass/on states) for me.

Of course it's not perfect. I didn't even listen to the originals while programming the custom scales(in the Global Menu) so there are bound to be mistakes. No need to tell me my intervals are incorrect. I am incorrect a lot, just ask my wife :)

Have fun with it...it's a blast!

Custom Scale 1 (First 2 arpeggios at end of solo)
A#= -4
B= -5
C#= -3
D= -3
E= -3
F#= -4

Custom Scale 2 (Arpeggio 3 and 4 at end of solo)
E= -3
C#= -4
A= -5
D= -3
B= -3
G#= -4

Custom Scale 3 (Arpeggio 5 and 6 at end of solo)
D= -3
B= -4
G= -3
D= -3
A= -3
F#= -4

Custom Scale 4 (Arpeggio 7 and 8 at end of solo)
B= -4
G= -3
E= -3
C#= -3
A#= -4
F#= -5

Custom Scale 5 (first harmony lick in solo)
F= -4(part of bend)
F#= -4
E= -3
D= -3
A= -3
A#= -2 (bend)
B= -2

Custom Scale 6 (last harmony before Arpeggios)
A#= -4
B= -4
F#= -4
All others =-3. I’m not sure which notes matter but set it up like this J

Attachments

• Mark Hotel Arpeggios 3 and 4.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Mark Hotel Arpeggios 1 and 2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Mark Hotel 2nd Harm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Mark Hotel 1st Harm.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 109
Wow, that sounds fantastic Mark.

I only wish that I was smart enough to understand how to program a harmony let alone deconstruct an existing one that has 5 different parts.

Wow, that sounds fantastic Mark.

I only wish that I was smart enough to understand how to program a harmony let alone deconstruct an existing one that has 5 different parts.

Exactly my reaction on both counts. So impressive!

Hey Mark,
Awesome thanks for sharing that.
I learned this solo years ago, and never thought of working out the harmonies with the Axe Fx so thanks for the inspiration and for posting your custom scales.
And by the way the harmonies sound great, and you're right, no one can tell if there were any mistakes ( except maybe Don Felder if he's watching ) :D

Forget the great tone, awesome playing and fantastic programming. The BEST part of the video was the comment at the end that there won't be one chick in the audience that will know you played the wrong interval, she'll just dig that you played the solo! ;P I laughed my ass off on that one. Thanks Mark, great job as always!!!

Great playing, as usual Mark!!! Perhaps my laptop is the culprit, but I barely heard the harmonies. Did anyone else experience this?

I can't even comprehend how far beyond my "digital" ability this is..........inspiring and daunting at the same time.

My brain aches.........and I'm essentially a lawyer/mathematician.

Great playing, as usual Mark!!! Perhaps my laptop is the culprit, but I barely heard the harmonies. Did anyone else experience this?

I can hear them fine on my monitors but they are a bit low in the mix. Feel free to tweak the presets so the harmonies are louder :)

Mark

Really well done and thanks very much for the presets. I love the idea of having midi controlling the Axe in Logic. Can you please explain how you set that up. Thanks very much.

Back
Top Bottom