Axe III Turbo or FM9 for gigging?

Akstrat

Experienced
Just wondering how people feel about this question? I currently have a FM3/FC6 combo and have started running out of CPU space on many of my gigging presets. I am not a "studio or recording" kind of guy. I practice and play out in a cover band. I currently travel with a hard case for my OMG9, EV2 combo and a RCF NX 12-SMA. I have seen some posts where some of the III users go with a FM9 to gig and have the III for their studios. I would prefer to just upgrade with one unit. I'm interested to hear from people in this part of the forum. TIA for your perspectives!

Thanks! Obviously, I would need to sell my current gear and add a FC12 for the III, which I'm willing to do. Just really not sure what direction to go?

Sounds like you're exactly who the FM9 was made for.

I'm a studio player more than anything by far, so I went with a rack-mounted fractal product. If I were to be more into gigs, I'd go with a floor-based product.

I loved my AX8 but playing the gigs I do (mainly bars), I couldn't always trust people to NOT spill stuff on or near it...I much more prefer having the III back behind me out of reach and the FC12 on the floor. I don't really do any tweaking live so once I set the volume, that's really the only time I touch it during the gig. If by chance the FC12 were to get ruined, I can get another one and my whole rig isn't toast. I find the portability of the III to be to my liking as well. My rack has the III, my IEMs, and a Furman - takes me about 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to tear down and get off stage.

I'm lucky to have an Axe FX III, FM3 and an FM9. I also have an FC6 and an FC12.
To date, my favorite set up is still the Axe FX iii with an FC 12. It's a Rolls Royce of modeling.
On small gigs, I just pull out the FM3 or FM9. But for anything major, the III rules.
If I had to have only one, the III would win hands down.

Edit: I also MUCH prefer to have no cables running in front of me. Everything tidy on the backline, a single XLR going to the FC12.

I’m another FM9 for gigging and III for the studio guy. As soon as I saw the FM9 (well, after I jumped on the waitlist without even reading the specs) I knew it’d be my gigging rig. Now instead of lugging a rack, pedalboard and a cabinet to a gig it’s just a pedalboard and a cabinet.

Just wondering how people feel about this question? I currently have a FM3/FC6 combo and have started running out of CPU space on many of my gigging presets. I am not a "studio or recording" kind of guy. I practice and play out in a cover band. I currently travel with a hard case for my OMG9, EV2 combo and a RCF NX 12-SMA. I have seen some posts where some of the III users go with a FM9 to gig and have the III for their studios. I would prefer to just upgrade with one unit. I'm interested to hear from people in this part of the forum. TIA for your perspectives!
Have you tried to optimize your gigging presets? Lower the reverb\echo density, Use the Plex delay as a delay and for shimmer, etc. I dont think the FM9 will give you that much more CPU power. I would not want to lug a rack around for bar gigs. I bet if you post a few maxed out CPU presets, someone will re-work them to give you a preset that you can gig with.

I got the FM3 to gig/rehearse with and decided to leave my Axe III in the studio. Here's what I've discovered, though: I rarely use my Axe Fx III now at all. When I'm playing, I'm usually practicing stuff for the band or making presets for the band, which I need my FM3 for anyway, so it has ended up being the all-around workhorse while my Axe III just sits there, languishing in jealousy.

I also took to making more but smaller presets that the FM3 can easily handle, so that helps.

I think the FM9 would be perfect for your needs.

Have you tried to optimize your gigging presets? Lower the reverb\echo density, Use the Plex delay as a delay and for shimmer, etc. I dont think the FM9 will give you that much more CPU power. I would not want to lug a rack around for bar gigs. I bet if you post a few maxed out CPU presets, someone will re-work them to give you a preset that you can gig with.
The FM9 gives you twice the CPU power of the FM3.

It also uses dedicated CPU cores for Amp modeling, for Reverbs and for (normal) Delays so those are effectively "free".

I’m another FM9 for gigging and III for the studio guy. As soon as I saw the FM9 (well, after I jumped on the waitlist without even reading the specs) I knew it’d be my gigging rig. Now instead of lugging a rack, pedalboard and a cabinet to a gig it’s just a pedalboard and a cabinet.
Yes the fm9 seems interesting but here in Europe no one got one yet … we always have everything one year later here 🙄

why-not-both-por-que-no-los-dos.gif

1112211149a_HDR.jpg

🤪

I would have all three if I thought I would use them, but honestly, two would just sit. I think it best for me that I move to the FM9 and see how that goes. I've got a gig NYE and then I'll make the shift. I have the invite for the FM9 sitting in my music folder, so I hope they have a few left?

I understand about Reverb being CPU intensive and have tried to do things to lighten my presets. I am finding that I may be moving to a preset per song. I'm still not convinced on this, but maybe the FM9 will help in that vein. Many thanks to those who offered their input. Best wishes in the new year!

I got the FM3 to gig/rehearse with and decided to leave my Axe III in the studio. Here's what I've discovered, though: I rarely use my Axe Fx III now at all. When I'm playing, I'm usually practicing stuff for the band or making presets for the band, which I need my FM3 for anyway, so it has ended up being the all-around workhorse while my Axe III just sits there, languishing in jealousy.

I also took to making more but smaller presets that the FM3 can easily handle, so that helps.

I think the FM9 would be perfect for your needs.
This describes my FM9 experience. I owned the FM9 and swapped it out pretty quickly. Great product, just took up too much real estate for rehearsals and didn’t want to go back and forth building presets. My presets are simple anyway. That said, I’m fighting GAS right now on an AFIII to just leave permanently at home. Feel free to talk me out of it. Haha.

I am probably heading in a different direction than most. I also own all three platforms with the floor units for playing out and the Axe being racked in the studio.

And, I recently added on another Axe-Fx III Turbo.... No, I am not just Fractal crazy (ok maybe I am). A recent career opportunity has placed greater demands on my time and is in another state 1000 miles away to boot. So, to streamline my music playing I am experimenting with having one Axe for the studio and another in a 4U case for portability. In essence, I am trading time (preset maintenance) for the discomfort of lugging heavier stuff. We'll see what happens, but it may be one platform for me in the near future.

After a lot of farting around with the different set ups between the FM3, FM3 with FC6, AX3 and the MANY differences between layouts, views and CPU. I decided to Build a small light weight portable rig so there are no compromises and endless time editing presets to work with FM3 & AX3.

I take 1 cover off, make my connections and I'm ready to go!

Tele & AX3.jpg

After a lot of farting around with the different set ups between the FM3, FM3 with FC6, AX3 and the MANY differences between layouts, views and CPU. I decided to Build a small light weight portable rig so there are no compromises and endless time editing presets to work with FM3 & AX3.

I take 1 cover off, make my connections and I'm ready to go!

View attachment 93492

Oh yeah, I'm really digging that! We should talk. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom