Axe II with Electric Acoustic

Axeman

Experienced
I just bought a Taylor acoustic with the expression system. If I prefer to record direct without a mic. Which amps and cabs have the flattest response that will change the tone the least? Or is there some other way I should use the Axe with an acoustic guitar? I realize the output of the expression system is stereo since it's not just a single pickup but a pickup + other sensors. I was thinking that I could use the two inputs on the Axe and get some great acoustic recordings. Any thoughts/suggestions out there?

Thx!

I have a Taylor 12 String with the Expression system. You can just go direct. Add any effects for color if you like. You don't need an amp or cab.

Since I'm not familiar with the 'Expression System', I'll assume it's a variety of pickup types and/or mics on the guitar.

I've had good luck with the 'Tube Pre' without a cab. Worked great live, but never took it through it's paces recording, as most of it was adding other 'stuff' like Chorus, 'verb, delay for particular songs.

Someone posted some Acoustic cab's awhile ago, hop on over to that section and poke around. There was some fishman stuff there too.

I use the tube pre with the gain at 1 and the master at 10. Just eq and add effects like you wish. Sounds great but I'm using my petrucci with a piezo. The expression should sound much better

I just got a Taylor 414ce with expression system three weeks ago. Super simple setup in Axe FX. Compressor->filter (3db boost)->tube preamp (low gain - high output) -> Touch of reverb (a very little bit).

Comp. is usually off (but there if I need it). Sometimes turn off 'verb. No cab - not needed. Sounds absolutely superb!

(The only reason for the filter boost is to get it up to the same output level as my electrics. Didn't want to be foolin' with volumn on stage.)

I just bought a Taylor acoustic with the expression system. If I prefer to record direct without a mic. Which amps and cabs have the flattest response that will change the tone the least? Or is there some other way I should use the Axe with an acoustic guitar? I realize the output of the expression system is stereo since it's not just a single pickup but a pickup + other sensors. I was thinking that I could use the two inputs on the Axe and get some great acoustic recordings. Any thoughts/suggestions out there?

Thx!

The ES system isn't a stereo output. It uses a TRS (Stereo) cable to XLR for a balanced mono signal.

As a general rule, no amp or cab sims with acoustics. You can use the Tube Pre sim if you like what that does to your acoustic tone. It's the only one that even tries to be flat response, which is what you need for acoustic. I can't think of a cab sim that wouldn't trash an acoustic tone.

Possibly the best way to record such a guitar is to tone-match a miked signal of the acoustic to the expression system output. The expression system is composed of three pickups (one mag and two under-the-soundboard pickups) blended by a preamp. The sound is good but not quite as good as what a good mic can do. Take a preamp with a decent mic, input that on input 2, plug your taylor into input one and use a TMA block to "correct" the difference. You'll end up with an IR you can export to a cab and mix to taste.
It's the principle used by Fishman in the Aura system, and nothing beats using the exact same guitar for both inputs - one miked and the other direct.

Back
Top Bottom